Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last sunday I went for a ride with group I know from another website which is not brand-specific. We put on about miles that day and it was somewhat busy, so I got to see quite a few quads out there.

Here's what I discovered;

1. The woods trails here in New England are predominantly ridden on by utility quads. There was only a sport quad here and there, but overwhealmingly there were 4x4 quads on the trails.

2. The one brand/model quad that seemed to be most popular was the Polaris Sportsman. Old, new, borrowed, blue.....it didn't matter, probably close to half of the other quads I saw out there were Polaris Sportsmans.

3. I need better tires.

So, my question is, overall how many Can-Ams do you see out there on the trail or in the woods where you ride? Is it a popular bike in your area, or are other brands more poplular? What do you attribute the amount (or lack of) Can-Ams in your area to? Product quality? Dealerships (availability)? I know that I have seen very few around here, but the people I know that have them are fanatical about them and wouldn't ride anything else.

Jerry

·
Registered
217 Posts
I live in a small Northern town and the poplular quads are the ones that the local dealer is selling. We had a Polaris dealer and they were quite popular for a while until they shut down several years ago.
Honda's have a huge following here until the dealer in my signature locked down his Can-Am dealership this past year. He has been quite successful with the Can-Ams so far.
You see the odd Suzuki, Arctic Cat and Yamaha here, usually owned by someone that has just moved here.
Very few sport quads, I would say less than 6 total.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I live in a small Northern town and the poplular quads are the ones that the local dealer is selling. We had a Polaris dealer and they were quite popular for a while until they shut down several years ago.
Honda's have a huge following here until the dealer in my signature locked down his Can-Am dealership this past year. He has been quite successful with the Can-Ams so far.
You see the odd Suzuki, Arctic Cat and Yamaha here, usually owned by someone that has just moved here.
Very few sport quads, I would say less than 6 total.
I think you have a good point !
Thr dealers are what makrs it big!
I have a huge dealer whu sells Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and the Yamaha plus Ski Doo but no Artic Cat, Polaris or Can-Am an the ones that are popular are the first set that was mentioned...................

·
Registered
172 Posts
One other guy in my riding group (of 15 or so riders) is on Bomb/Can-Am. I have never seen any other BRP ATV on the trails that I ride. I know of a few others in the area, but haven't ridden with any of them. I think this is a largely Polaris based area. People are very brand loyal here and can't get out of the Polaris and Ford mind set...

As far as sport quads, I ride with a guy who rides either a Sportsman 800 or a YFZ450 depending on his mood. Other than that, I don't see many on the trails we ride. The play areas are a different story. Sporties everywhere!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live in Louisiana,and I am the only one in my state it seems to be,lol...Everyone down here are (die hard) honda riders.I think I need to set a new standard down here at hunting clubs and rec. parks. And show those used and abused bikes what a real bike is supposed to do...

·
Registered
56 Posts
i never see other bike where i ride, ive seen mabey 4 bikes out riding that i wasnt riding with, its pretty dead here, this is in over 6 years

·
Registered
32 Posts
Last year when I first bought my Outty, I was one of two that had the 800's here in town. Now they (can-am) are getting to be more and more reconized on the trail. Out of 11 quaders on our last large ride, 5 were Outties. On another trip, we had 2 Kawi 650's, 1 CA 650, and 1 800

·
Registered
24 Posts
I see everything but Can-Am...

but i have made it my mission to show the others just how great a 4-wheeler can be!

i will say this... when i ride with others and we take a break..... they all want to know about the outty

·
Registered
25 Posts
I LIVE IN NORTH LOUISIANA AND EVEN THOUGH YOU DONT REALLY SEEM TO SEE THAT MANY OF THEM EVERYONES KNOW ABOUT THEM THAT LOVES TO MUD RIDE . WE HAVE HIGH LIFTER AND TEAM CAN-AM GORILLA AXLES LESS THAN AN HOUR FROM WHERE I LIVE AND TE GORILLA GUYS HAVE BEEN TAKING NAMES AND KICKY BUTT AT ALL THE MUD BOG AND MUDRIDING EVENTS. I THINK A FEW THINGS THAT KEEP PEOPLE AWAY AROUND HERE IS ONE THE DEALERS DO NOT PUSH THEM MOST PEOPLE DONT KNOW WHERE TO BUY THEM. I JUST GOT MINE AND AM THE FIRST ONE IN OUR GROUP TO HAVE ONE AND ALL MY BUDDIES ARE SCARED OF WHAT ITS GOING TO DO. AND IT IS EXPENSIVE COMPARED TO SOME OF THE OTHER BIKES. IM NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING FINISHED WITH MINE AND HAVE ABOUT 13000 IN IT ALREADY. AND DID I MENTION THAT THE DEALER I HAVE DEALT WITH SO FAR HAS NO IDEA WHAT THEY HAVE ARE ANYTHING ABOUT IT I GIVE THEM THIS WEBSITE HOPING THEY WILL GET ON HERE AND LEARN SOMETHING , THEY HAD NO ANSWERS FOR ANY GUESTION I HAD OTHER THAN I WILL GET BACK WITH YOU ON IT. SERVICE SUCKS. BUT WHAT RIDING I HAVE GOT TO DO I LOVE IT THIS NEXT WEEKEND WILL PUT IT TO THE TEST SO WE WILL SEE. I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL YOU GUYS FOR POSTING ALL YOUR DO'S AND DONT'S AND PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS ON HERE IT HAS HELPED ME SO MUCH. COMING FROM SOME WHERE WHERE ITS HARD TO GET INFORMATION LOCALLY

·
Registered
150 Posts
I live here in Michigan and this is def. mostly a sport quad state, and so are the trails. i ride with all sport quads all the time and i am the only renegade so far ive ever seen out. its a huge hit with others riding though as they haven't sen one either, they always ask the usual about it.. here there is a dealer for everything not to far from anywhere so everything is very popular. while riding with all of my sport quad buddy's and while making new riding friends on the trail they can't believe that i can easily keep up and ride just as hard and as fast as the sport quads. It's quite funny when i race my friends and the only one that can beat me is a souped up LTR450 and he only beats me by a foot if that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
There are next to none Can-Am/BRP machines around here. We have one dealer in the central part of the state who doesn't know crap about the product and pushes their Yamaha line instead. We have Arctic Cat, Honda, Polaris, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawi ... every brand one could think of and as others have stated ... it's primarily Polaris Sportsmans that you run across. Two of the guys I ride with just upgraded quads and went to the Sportsman 800 EFI and love them, but I'm sticking to my guns and going Can-Am.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The overall population in the valley is about 250,000 people serviced by 2 Can-Am Dealers, only one of which has a single mechanic with a lot of experience. The Bomb/Can-Am brand created quite a buzz here until it became apparent just how un-reliable the machines are, actually more of a hit-and-miss. It seems to be a problem with consistency. Two consecutive serial numbers off of the manufacturing line and one machine is rock solid while the other is a total lemon.

The two dealers are so overwhelmed with warranty claims that they can't even come close to keeping up. Our 650 Max XT is a good example of a machine that failed within 5 miles on the first break-in ride, had a full factory warranty, and yet a good friend and I had to fix it ourselves (which meant tearing the CVT appart and totally re-building it), on my coin.

Would I ever own or recommend a Can-Am to anybody? No way. Why? Because the engineering, manufacturing, and trained dealer network just isn't there yet, and given the fact that Can-Am ranks as one of the all time highest in MSRP, they just don't have their act together.

I agree with everyone that has indicated that it starts with the local dealer(s). However, the dealers must have a reputable supplier/manufacturer behind them or they will fail as well. While I'm not all that excited about either Honda or Yamaha's utility quad offerings, they are both top notch companies that support, equip, and train their dealer networks. Both companies offerings are very popular in the valley.

I'd say if you are going to spend your hard earned dollars on anything, especially something as expensive as an off road vechicle, choose somebody with a solid track record. Can-am doesn't even come close (IMO).

Sport Quads are very popular around here due to the fact that we have some very nice play areas and two major Sand Dunes within 200+ miles. I would say the ratio is about 70 - 30 in favor of utility quads.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Kim, what drew you in to buy a Can-Am? I know how it goes when you have a long track record of good experience with a mfg...it's hard to make the decision to try something new.

The overall population in the valley is about 250,000 people serviced by 2 Can-Am Dealers, only one of which has a single mechanic with a lot of experience. The Bomb/Can-Am brand created quite a buzz here until it became apparent just how un-reliable the machines are, actually more of a hit-and-miss. It seems to be a problem with consistency. Two consecutive serial numbers off of the manufacturing line and one machine is rock solid while the other is a total lemon.

The two dealers are so overwhelmed with warranty claims that they can't even come close to keeping up. Our 650 Max XT is a good example of a machine that failed within 5 miles on the first break-in ride, had a full factory warranty, and yet a good friend and I had to fix it ourselves (which meant tearing the CVT appart and totally re-building it), on my coin.

Would I ever own or recommend a Can-Am to anybody? No way. Why? Because the engineering, manufacturing, and trained dealer network just isn't there yet, and given the fact that Can-Am ranks as one of the all time highest in MSRP, they just don't have their act together.

I agree with everyone that has indicated that it starts with the local dealer(s). However, the dealers must have a reputable supplier/manufacturer behind them or they will fail as well. While I'm not all that excited about either Honda or Yamaha's utility quad offerings, they are both top notch companies that support, equip, and train their dealer networks. Both companies offerings are very popular in the valley.

I'd say if you are going to spend your hard earned dollars on anything, especially something as expensive as an off road vechicle, choose somebody with a solid track record. Can-am doesn't even come close (IMO).

Sport Quads are very popular around here due to the fact that we have some very nice play areas and two major Sand Dunes within 200+ miles. I would say the ratio is about 70 - 30 in favor of utility quads.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Kim, what drew you in to buy a Can-Am? I know how it goes when you have a long track record of good experience with a mfg...it's hard to make the decision to try something new.
Marc,

Good question. My answer is:

1. Can-Am's marketing hype machine, which I usually don't fall for, but I've got to say, these guys are good! Don't believe me? Just look at how it kicked into gear for the release of the DS 450.

2. We wanted a 2-up machine. We have no interest in owning two utility quads. We are die hard, Yamaha Sport Quad riders all the way, and just as die hard Honda Dirt Bike riders.

Would I love to be able to recommend Can-Am and the 650 Max XT? You bet! But these guys just don't have their act together and I have nobody to blame but myself. However, the machine is up and running now, thanks to a good friend, his knowledge of CVT systems, and my pocket book...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts