Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it is a good idea to get some reports on what dealers are charging for the 625 mile service which BRP states has to be done (except oil chenge) by the dealer. Someone on another board posted a cost of $162.00 by a Tampa dealer but when I called my local dealer, he said it could be as high as $475.00 if the valves needed adjustment. Another local dealer quoted me just under $200 including oil change and said they weren't even checking the valves as the BRP rep said it wasn't needed. Feedback would be appreciated.

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
I think it is a good idea to get some reports on what dealers are charging for the 625 mile service which BRP states has to be done (except oil chenge) by the dealer. Someone on another board posted a cost of $162.00 by a Tampa dealer but when I called my local dealer, he said it could be as high as $475.00 if the valves needed adjustment. Another local dealer quoted me just under $200 including oil change and said they weren't even checking the valves as the BRP rep said it wasn't needed. Feedback would be appreciated.
Everything I have read and heard is the motor is exceptional when it comes to holding specs and checking the valves is not needed. That is from APrilla shops as well as engineers I personally am having the dealer do what ever they need. Having them change the oil to look for any unusual debris the first time is probably a solid. After that I am changing my own oil, checking belt tension etc.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Everything I have read and heard is the motor is exceptional when it comes to holding specs and checking the valves is not needed. That is from APrilla shops as well as engineers I personally am having the dealer do what ever they need. Having them change the oil to look for any unusual debris the first time is probably a solid. After that I am changing my own oil, checking belt tension etc.
I would of thought the valve checking was a warranty item.
How long does this service take...can you wait there?

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
I would of thought the valve checking was a warranty item.
How long does this service take...can you wait there?
this is just one quote from this forum.
would imagine the specs are the same as the aprilias. if it makes you feel any better, i've been working on aprilia since 2000 and i've never had to make an adjustment during the first service (600 miles). the next valve check is at 9300 miles and i've probably changed out a total of three shims. these motors are very good at holding to spec. we have a few customers that have well over 50k miles and the bikes still run very strong (and remember, these motors are very detuned in comparison to the mille motor).
look back or do a search

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
Just a hint from being involved in the adjustment of the belt on Spydie. The two adjustment screws are very "sensitive" , so when making an adjustment, make very minimal turns on the screws. Test ride, re-check, adjust, test ride, until the belt is within specs of the inner flange. 1MM (.040)

·
Registered
307 Posts
I dont know guys, I know you need to have the valves checked, but,,,, I worry that the spyder wont come out the same as it went in. These are new products, take photos of it prior to going in, hate to see scratched panels and stuff when they come out. I know most dealers are good, some are not. IMO, I feel that when a mechanic gets "into" the engine to check things out, something always happens and it ends back up in the shop for some "mysterous" issue that appeared right after they serviced it. you know, kinda like bringing your vehicle into sears for an engine replacement.

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
I dont know guys, I know you need to have the valves checked, but,,,, I worry that the spyder wont come out the same as it went in. These are new products, take photos of it prior to going in, hate to see scratched panels and stuff when they come out. I know most dealers are good, some are not. IMO, I feel that when a mechanic gets "into" the engine to check things out, something always happens and it ends back up in the shop for some "mysterous" issue that appeared right after they serviced it. you know, kinda like bringing your vehicle into sears for an engine replacement.
Agree, that is why my dealer is not recommending messing with anything until maybe 10,000. The chance of it needing adjustments is extremely unlikely at 625. I am not that experience with motorcycle engines but some of my friends are and say don't worry about it, more harm then good. IF dealer finds it necessary then..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Agree, that is why my dealer is not recommending messing with anything until maybe 10,000. The chance of it needing adjustments is extremely unlikely at 625. I am not that experience with motorcycle engines but some of my friends are and say don't worry about it, more harm then good. IF dealer finds it necessary then..
Well, it's your engine, valves tighten up when they seat. Being a new engine they could seat a little during break in, checking the valves is easy and good insurance for you, chances are they won't need to be moved at 625 miles but if they do it's not that much of a job and it could prevent a burnt valve if it's way out of spec. If you decide not to inspect them according to the maintenance schedule you won't have much of an argument if you have a warrenty issue related to the valve train. Recommended inspections are for your benefit to insure you have a dependable fun machine and mileage intervals were decided upon through engineering, testing and experience by Rotax/BRP. It's your machine, you investment, if you decide the service isn't needed and don't do it, it may be your problem and your repair cost. Like I said, it's not a big deal to check or adjust the valves and usually they don't need to be moved on the first service, but they could and the only way to know is to check. I'v been at this for many years and do all my own work, I've owned many bikes and I have had to re-shim on the first service on two or three of them. Most often not but if you don't look you won't know. Have the dealer that does your work record the valve clearances for you so you can track wear at each service, everyones riding style is different and effects service needs in a different way. If you are easy on your engine you may be able to extend your service intervals as time goes on based on what you see at service and your individual riding style.

·
tonga
439 Posts
From what I'm reading this Spyder is worring me. The belt adjustment seems a bit finiky. Hope it doesn't need to much adjustment once broken in. Wonder what Harley's are like with their's? I always liked shaft drive, less maintenence. Think I would want my valves checked at the first inspection just in case a valve seated in. That is an easy thing to do if you had the specs. Most shimed engines give you specs with a plus or minus on the clearences. What worries me is a minus's that is allowed that could get tighter after a few miles and a burnt valve. I prefer to be on the lose side but not over the plus side. Some shims would give you that. In days gone by I have found shims in the inbetween sizes. These come from factory but not available to buy from dealer. Mechanics always keep the shims they remove and re-use them. They never wear, only the Valve wears in. Some mechanics are good at what they do but some do get tired of the work and if the manaul says it is allowed then why touch it. I for one would try to be as close to the clearence a possible. I for one would like to know how much it costs to do the service before I would take it in but you are at the mercy of the dealer. Service is their bread & butter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it's your engine, valves tighten up when they seat. Being a new engine they could seat a little during break in, checking the valves is easy and good insurance for you, chances are they won't need to be moved at 625 miles but if they do it's not that much of a job and it could prevent a burnt valve if it's way out of spec. If you decide not to inspect them according to the maintenance schedule you won't have much of an argument if you have a warrenty issue related to the valve train. Recommended inspections are for your benefit to insure you have a dependable fun machine and mileage intervals were decided upon through engineering, testing and experience by Rotax/BRP. It's your machine, you investment, if you decide the service isn't needed and don't do it, it may be your problem and your repair cost. Like I said, it's not a big deal to check or adjust the valves and usually they don't need to be moved on the first service, but they could and the only way to know is to check. I'v been at this for many years and do all my own work, I've owned many bikes and I have had to re-shim on the first service on two or three of them. Most often not but if you don't look you won't know. Have the dealer that does your work record the valve clearances for you so you can track wear at each service, everyones riding style is different and effects service needs in a different way. If you are easy on your engine you may be able to extend your service intervals as time goes on based on what you see at service and your individual riding style.
Well charging me close to $500.00 for the first service if the valves have to be adjusted is a BIG DEAL! I understand it is a owners reponsibilty for adjustments but if it is a mandatory for the first service than BRP should foot the bill if they need adjustment. The labor was $415 and the parts $60.00. Sorry but I didn't think I bought a Mercedes.

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
Well charging me close to $500.00 for the first service if the valves have to be adjusted is a BIG DEAL! I understand it is a owners reponsibilty for adjustments but if it is a mandatory for the first service than BRP should foot the bill if they need adjustment. The labor was $415 and the parts $60.00. Sorry but I didn't think I bought a Mercedes.
Not sure in your state, but many states require that shop times be posted. $75 $100 @ hour... Find the time and show the math to dealer. I thought I saw some place it was a 2 hours book time job to adjust. In your case your dealer would be charging you over $200 an hour. Put that to him and see what he says. Hopefull more will post "Good Dealers" on the forum. This is an ideal place for us to come together in numbers hold them accountable.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not sure in your state, but many states require that shop times be posted. $75 $100 @ hour... Find the time and show the math to dealer. I thought I saw some place it was a 2 hours book time job to adjust. In your case your dealer would be charging you over $200 an hour. Put that to him and see what he says. Hopefull more will post "Good Dealers" on the forum. This is an ideal place for us to come together in numbers hold them accountable.
Motorcycle dealers are just like automobile dealers. Most of them are less than honest and will take advantage of you if you let them. Every time I have taken my Porsche for service to a couple of different local dealers they have given me the feeling that if I have discretionary income to purchase this car maybe I am stupid enough to pay them for whatever they want to charge me for sometime even unnecessary services. Case in point, I took my car to one dealer for oil change and they charged me (without preauthorizing) $45.00 for fixing a nail that they noticed in one tire. Oh well, I said and paid. The next time I went to a different dealer and they called saying tire has a nail and should be fixed. I refused. While picking-up my car the mechanic could not show me where the nail is. Three years later my tire is still fine.

Toyota dealer tried to charge me over $600.00 to replace window motor for rear window when I was not aware that the window does not operate if the rear dome light switch is in off position (child safety feature).

Moral of the story: as a consumer we must make our own decisions as to some of the recommended services (as suggested my others above) and must not return to service provider once they have violated our unspoken trust.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think these dealers have any book time from BRP yet so they are just winging it and that usually costs the consumer more money.

·
tonga
439 Posts
I don't think these dealers have any book time from BRP yet so they are just winging it and that usually costs the consumer more money.
A good mechanic should be able to do a valve adjustment in two hours and less if no need to adjust any. The spyder is only a twin and with 8 valves, not all need adjustment. Check out the hourly rate. I can do a Honda CBX in two hours and we are talking 6 cylinders and 24 valves not to mention synchronizing 6 carbs. Hope the dealers don't try to take advantage of the customers.

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
Well at my dealer this morning arranging delivery of the ASP trailer, I asked about the cost of the first service, I was quoted $129 plus parts.
In the owner manual on the Spyder it shows "inspection" of the valves on the first service. When checking a Spyder manual " Roadster Technical
Update Manual part # 219 600 022" it also shows the inspection at first service. The service manage checked a BRP web page, it did not show the
valve inspection at first service, so he was going to contact BRP to see if they have changed the inspection recommendation.
I was quoted $529 for the first service if the valve inspection is completed, and the service manager did have an "estimated time schedule" for all services preformed on a Spyder.
Take this info for what you may think it is worth, this is just the info I'm receiving from my dealer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
so whats the verdict? by now someone should have had the 1st service on the spyder can you post what the cost was?

thanks,

Diggittt

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had ... Anjyl's first service done at Honda House 360 - Chesterfield Va. ... they handled her with care as i watch most of the service being performed...I paid 275.00...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts