Interest in a turbo kit for Spyder - Spyder TechTalk - can-am Spyder Forums - SpyderTalk.com

Photo
1 votes

Interest in a turbo kit for Spyder

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: Turbo kit interest for Spyder (111 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see a turbo kit offered for the Spyder?

1. Yes (85 votes [76.58%])

Percentage of vote: 76.58%

2. No (6 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

3. Maybe (20 votes [18.02%])

Percentage of vote: 18.02%

How much would you pay for a Spyder turbo kit?

1. $3,000 - $3,500 (85 votes [76.58%])

Percentage of vote: 76.58%

2. $4,000 - $4,500 (19 votes [17.12%])

Percentage of vote: 17.12%

3. $5,000 - $6,000 (7 votes [6.31%])

Percentage of vote: 6.31%

How much power would you like to see a turbo kit add?

1. 50HP (53 votes [47.75%])

Percentage of vote: 47.75%

2. 75HP (29 votes [26.13%])

Percentage of vote: 26.13%

3. 100HP (29 votes [26.13%])

Percentage of vote: 26.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 asmdjackal

asmdjackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Spyder

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

Before you answer this poll - please be advised that we are talking about a plug and play turbo kit that includes a muffler, turbo, bolt in with no real fabrication required, dyno tested, supported, fuel management, air intake, intercooler, etc... This is a FULL kit made just for the Spyder with no additional tuning needed or required.

Edited by asmdjackal, 02 November 2009 - 03:19 PM.

2008 Spyder - Aerocharger turbo kit #000001

#2 sabunim5

sabunim5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • Your Ride:91 K100 RS, Silver Spyder #1232

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

Sounds great but it is too rich for me at the present time.
Silver PE#1232 All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT

#3 asmdjackal

asmdjackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

Sounds great but it is too rich for me at the present time.

I hear that, but I start adding up $600 - $700 Muffler systems for the spyder... after market Air intakes options... fuel management and other performance components... it puts a serious dent in any potential turbo costs and its a supported and packaged deal tuned, etc..

#4 Spydyr

Spydyr

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 PE 3295

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:54 PM

I'd like to see another 100hp but I think 35-50 is much more realistic for dependability and drivability. I don't know if we'll be able to add enough boost given the engines compression ratio but turbo lag should be almost non existant. Good job on creating this poll :thumbs:

Edited by Spydyr, 22 February 2009 - 09:55 PM.

• Validating
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

They claim the ride has 106 HP stock. Does anyone uses all their power as it was designed with? If your wanting pure power I would first install a DFI, and lean the fuel down on the curve. If that is not enough add a shot of dry nitrous through the air box. At this point get in the ECU, and disable the excessive rotation control of the speed sensor, and get a dot slick of the &#@.

For myself I just ride the bike, and concentrate on not get pulled out in front of, and ran over. :riding:

I'd like to see another 100hp but I think 35-50 is much more realistic for dependability and drivability. I don't know if we'll be able to add enough boost given the engines compression ratio but turbo lag should be almost non existant. Good job on creating this poll :thumbs:

#6 asmdjackal

asmdjackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:43 AM

I think we might be in for a surprise on that little issue of compression ratio. Ken mentioned in another thread that if you actually CC the piston and head the Spyders compression ratio is around 9:1. This explains the 87 octane appetite of the Spyder. Plus Ken offers a high compression piston for the spyder so that if you want to run good gas and get the power - you can. :thumbs:

Now, if you start running premium unleaded.... 91-93 depending on where you are, and you use a intercooler... your tolerance for a little bit of boost is greatly increased. Again, not that I am quoting or guaranteeing anything, but there were some VERY interesting conversations with the Aerocharger guys around "similar" deals they have done. The results were VERY good. :riding:

Thanks to all those that have voted and if you havent voted yet, please do so as Aerocharger is watching this thread!!!

Thanks!

#7 Moondog68

Moondog68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, home repair/improvement, BBQ, Iowa Hawkeye Sports, tools, TV, friends.
  • Your Ride:2008 CAN AM Spyder

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

It would be a nice option for those that would be interested. Personally, I do not need any extra power. It is plenty good for me the way it is. I lost my need for power, as I grow older. I just want a safe ride and Spyder has plenty of power for me. However, I voted yes for those in this forum that would enjoy this. I am not into burn outs, racing, etc. - just a smooth safe ride and the Spyder gives this to me. I would enjoy a more resonate muffler and may add a Hindle when the time comes. I would also enjoy a somewhat more comfortable riding position, but I don't want it to make the machine look funky either. The windshield could use some improvements, but I have not really seen one that deflects air and still looks great on this bike, so I'll probably keep the taller stock one I ordered and suck more air.

Just my thoughts - but I don't blame those that want more power.

Edited by Moondog68, 23 February 2009 - 06:03 PM.

• Validating
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

If I were to do it, I'd opt for Evoluzione's Motor Kit. He claims approx 160 HP with no turbo. More than enough power. But like some of the others say "Who needs it?"

#9 asmdjackal

asmdjackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:57 AM

It would be a nice option for those that would be interested. Personally, I do not need any extra power. It is plenty good for me the way it is. I lost my need for power, as I grow older. I just want a safe ride and Spyder has plenty of power for me. However, I voted yes for those in this forum that would enjoy this. I am not into burn outs, racing, etc. - just a smooth safe ride and the Spyder gives this to me. I would enjoy a more resonate muffler and may add a Hindle when the time comes. I would also enjoy a somewhat more comfortable riding position, but I don't want it to make the machine look funky either. The windshield could use some improvements, but I have not really seen one that deflects air and still looks great on this bike, so I'll probably keep the taller stock one I ordered and suck more air.

Just my thoughts - but I don't blame those that want more power.

Thanks for the feedback! My father has a Harley Electra Glide and I am BARELY faster than him with the Spyder. Hes got the big bore kit and a Baker 6 speed, but is threatening to put a Procharger on it to make sure hes always throwing rocks in my face on rides!

So this need for a turbo has everything to do with my selfish desire to keep whooping my old mans a$$!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#10 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • 7557 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyders

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:15 PM

It would be a nice option for those that would be interested. Personally, I do not need any extra power. It is plenty good for me the way it is.

That's how I feel as well. I always like power, but for how I use the Spyder it meets my needs as is. I would take more, but I wouldn't trade reliability or potential issues for more.

Riding a Spyder puts a smile on my face

#11 Martin

Martin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder #930 - http://www.spyderryders.net.au

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

That's how I feel as well. I always like power, but for how I use the Spyder it meets my needs as is. I would take more, but I wouldn't trade reliability or potential issues for more.

:thumbs:

#12 Spydyr

Spydyr

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 PE 3295

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

If I were to do it, I'd opt for Evoluzione's Motor Kit. He claims approx 160 HP with no turbo. More than enough power. But like some of the others say "Who needs it?"

It's more than just a horsepower number. You have to look at what RPM peak power is made and how broad an RPM band the power is usable.

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:31 AM

I would be interested. The Spyder could definitely have more power. And, I agree - it is barely faster than my Ultra Classic. That's just wrong! :)

#14 evoluzione

evoluzione

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 911 posts
  • Your Ride:can-am spyder - stage 4 (1060) engine, penske suspension

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:28 AM

It's more than just a horsepower number. You have to look at what RPM peak power is made and how broad an RPM band the power is usable.

peak power is made at redline. peak torque is still at around the same point as stock (7.5k rpm), just much more. in fact the 1060 kit makes more torque at 4k rpm than the stock bike does at peak.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports

#15 VBsypder

VBsypder

Arceerider

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, cars, Beer, wine, guns, Art, music, Architecture, camping, racing, 4-wheelin.
  • Your Ride:08 Spyder, 03 Victory Vegas, 08 Victory Vision, 05 Magnum R/T, 00 Silverado

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

Questions 2 and 3 become N/A if question 1 is no, could you change the poll to reflect that?

At this point the rear tire is unable to transfer the power the bike already has to the pavement, so all I see the extra power doing is creating a situation that does nothing more then create a great smoke show.

Unless you are the kind of folks that like to say - hurumph - "I've got 200hp - what you got? My response would be " I got $3500 more then you"...

Edited by VBsypder, 27 February 2009 - 12:47 PM.

=========
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
---- Frank Lloyd Wright
=========

#16 asmdjackal

asmdjackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

Update to the Spyder/turbo. I spoke with Aerocharger this weekend and based off the interest level and feedback posted here, we're moving to the next phase. Next week I am taking the Spyder down and leaving it with them. They'll start tearing into it, and putting together a bill of materials to see exactly all of the components that will be required, fabrication, etc.. Assuming things don't get too crazy (low probability for that) we can hopefully lock in the official pieces to make this a mass produced reality for those interested! :beerchug1:

I'll continue to keep people updated and hopefully start getting some pics, thanks again for your feedback and support!

#17 2333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Your Ride:08 full moon

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

Jackal, it has been six weeks....any news?

#18 Donzo

Donzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • Your Ride:Outlander 800, Sabre 1100 and 08 fullmoon SM5 Spyder Roadster

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

Yeah! We want to see the turbo screamer! :riding:

#19 asmdjackal

asmdjackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

Yeah! We want to see the turbo screamer! :riding:

Yes, it has been a few weeks! I've had the Spyder at Aerocharger a few times and Brad has committed to do the kit - thats the good news. The not so good news is that they are re-working their Pontiac G8 at the moment and have to do a kit for a Harley that they have on loan.

I am hoping that next month we can start working on it. I can tell you this though, I have been to Aerocharger several times, and seen the development of their Victory kit... All I can say is top notch work, top quality, and top performance! If your looking for a turn key performance solution, you can't go wrong with any of the kits that Aerocharger puts out.

Depending on the sensitivity of the development process (lots of turbo cloners out there) I'll do my best to update with regular pictures, videos and information on the status of this. When we get it on their lift (needs a little modifying for the Spyder) and get some mock up stuff done, assuming its cool with the Aerocharger crew, I'll share pics, etc...

Thanks for the comments and support! :beerchug1:

#20 2333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Your Ride:08 full moon

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the update Jackal. One thing to consider, now that riding season is just about here in Illinois, I would have to wait for the late fall to tear the Spyder apart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users