14 replies to this topic

#1 kayakattack

kayakattack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:48 AM

What do you do with your helmet if there is no room in the front. This appears to be a huge problem because everywhere we went this weekend in Canada I saw unlocked helmets setting on top of our Spyders. I only noticed one helmet lock but I am sure there were many more. So, I did a little search last night because I just don't feel comfortable leaving it set on top of the bike and I certainly don't want to lug that thing around. I found some pretty cool things at a very reasonable cost. I did see a few other posts on this subject with some good inexpensive ideas too. Here are about 12 or so more good ideas. I am very fond of the retractable lock. You will see it near the bottom of the page. I am ordering one today.

http://www.bikesax.c...ry_Code=SEC-HLM

Edited by kayakattack, 08 June 2008 - 10:33 AM.

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • 1038 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:02 AM

What do you do with your helmet if there is no room in the front. This appears to be a huge problem because everywhere we went this weekend in Canada I saw unlocked helmets setting on top of our Spyders. I only noticed one helmet lock but I am sure there were many more. So, I did a little search last night because I just don't feel comfortable leaving it set on top of the bike and I certainly don't want to lug that thing around. I found some pretty cool things at a very reasonable cost. I did see a few other posts on this subject with some good inexpensive ideas too. Here are about 12 or so more good ideas. I am very fond of the retractable lock. You will see it near the bottom of the page. I am ordering one today.

Pictures, links ?

• Validating
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:05 AM

This looks like a nice helmet/jacket lock. Blends with your bikee and seems easy to use. I may get one because some times my trunk is full or it is just a quick stop.

Bolt Lock Corporation Helmet Lock Kit - Chrome

http://www.cruisercu...c...&model_ID=0

#4 SpyderGirl

SpyderGirl

Founder / Vice President - San Francisco Bay Area Chapter

• Members
  • 1437 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, photography, hanging with friends, and motorcycling.
  • Your Ride:2008 Quantum Blue Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S (Viper Red)

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:05 AM

I use a thick cable and lock our helmets to the side rails. Cost me $20.

2008 Quantum Blue Can-Am Spyder SM5 PE #1344 - Owner Since 2/8/08
Mods: HMF, blue 6 spoke wheels, HIDs, Tricringz / Tricfenderz, Corbin heated seats, Corbin saddlebags, Corbin hitch, Corbin fairing & Cee Baileys windshield, GIVI E55 Trunk, Piggybacker trailer, 1" BRP riser, 4" ESI risers, mudflap lights (signals), & LED 3rd brake light.

Spyders in the Redwoods (Sonora, CA) August 5 - 8, 2013 - I'll be there... will YOU??

#5 dltang

dltang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1030 posts
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder #2518

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:42 AM

I use a thick cable and lock our helmets to the side rails. Cost me $20.

Yup, me too. I have a cable bike lock and can lock two helmets to the grab rails and even run it through the sleeve of my coat if I want to leave that out on the Spyder. Low cost and peace of mind.
With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.

It was Silver and it's mine IPB ImageNow it is Candy Apple RedIPB Imageand it's still mine!

#6 Feo

Feo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • Your Ride:a silver...

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:54 PM

I like the bolt lock too. How are you planning on attaching it to your Spyder?
I didn't see a bolt that could be used. Only the ones for the panels, which are not very strong.
I could have totally missed it, as I am VERY mechanically challenged.

• Validating
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:33 AM

Yup, me too. I have a cable bike lock and can lock two helmets to the grab rails and even run it through the sleeve of my coat if I want to leave that out on the Spyder. Low cost and peace of mind.

I had not thought of that :blink: May not be any bolts suitable for the Spyder. Will take a close look this
week end.

Don

#8 Tonga

Tonga

tonga

• Members
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Miata, Spyder
  • Your Ride:RT Full Moon

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:15 AM

I had not thought of that :blink: May not be any bolts suitable for the Spyder. Will take a close look this
week end.
Don

I went to buy a piece of cable and a lock to tie down both helmets but found a Master locking mechanizim for bicycles with a 2 foot cable ( thin) and a combination lock. I sit both helmets on the rear seat and feed the cable throught the backrest and both helmet loops. It is only to keep an honest man honest as the saying goes but will only use it for short periods like having lunch or just stoping for coffee. It retracts to a small size like the air pressure gauge that came with my Spyder.

#9 allvll

allvll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 spyder #1311

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:10 PM

Our lock is like one of the first three on this website except it is black and blends in on the hand rail where we put it. But we had to get longer screws at the hardware store (the same kind as in the kit just longer). And we bought two extention plates so we could put two helmets on the one lock. It works great

#10 Feo

Feo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • Your Ride:a silver...

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

Have you guys seen this?:
http://www.jpcycles....?...=All&page=1

The one that replaces the pin onteh clutch maybe a good one. No sure if it would work on our spyders.

#11 spyderrider

spyderrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • Your Ride:full moon (silver and black) Spyder

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

This is what I bought. I got the idea from Deb. http://www.masterloc...thon_lock.shtml

It is 6 feet long and it fits across the rear seat and through the grab handles with some length to spare. You just run the covered cable through the loop or chin guard on a full face helmet, around the grab handles and insert the cable into the lock and pull the cable snug. Turn the key and the cable is locked in. This is nice because you can pull the cable through the lock until you have it tight on whatever item you are locking up. It's about $25. With this I can lock up more than just my helmets.

#12 garb55

garb55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Your Ride:can am spyder

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:17 PM

I went to Home Depot and got 3ft 3/16 covered cable. Made a loop on each end.
Bolted one under seat on bolt for seat lock.
The other end slips over seat lock rod.
This way only need Spyder key to unlock it
The cable sits under seat and on seat lock when not in use
Don Garbarino
Call Me "Uncle D"

#13 Jody

Jody

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Happiness.
  • Your Ride:was one of the first Spyder SE5s, now a Premiere Edition RT-S

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

http://www.bikesax.c...ry_Code=SEC-HLM

There are lots of solutions. Bicycle shops that carry Kryptonite products are a good source-- there are many cable locks of varying lengths and strengths that can be looped through your helmet, jacket, and the Spyder passenger handles, for example.

Here's a fast and easy one I use and like a lot:
http://www.kryptonit...o...01&pid=1132

It has a nifty removable LED light to help see the combination at night, and while I wouldn't use it in high crime areas for extended periods (anywhere in New York City, for example), it's perfect for 99% of where most of us go.

I also have a heavier-duty Kryptonite cable and combo padlock for more serious applications, but this works very well for me and is fast and compact. Only costs $20. Way better/stronger than the MasterLock versions and others at travel and sporting goods stores I saw.

#14 theRED1

theRED1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder #2798 Silver

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:30 PM

I saw this before and thought it may be a good solution. I'm thinking about getting one, especially for my daughter's helmet when she will be riding with me!

http://www.pacsafe.c...m...etail&id=27
If a Fly did not have wings, would we call it a crawl?

#15 My1Spyder

My1Spyder

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Your Ride:2014 Spyder RTSE

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

A friend of mine has a Lidlox (49.95 + Shipping) which installs on the end of the throttle end handlebar and she likes it. They make these for all types of Can-Am Spyders and many other motorcycles. I use a 2 1/2 foot thick chain and a good quality Master lock from Lowes. It fits through my jacket, helmet and over pants(I wear shorts underneath because I live in Florida). When I'm not using the chain it is wrapped around the right rear seat handle bar and locked with the Master lock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users