Spyder FOG LIGHT KIT Installation (pics) - How To - Instructions - can-am Spyder Forums - SpyderTalk.com

Photo

Spyder FOG LIGHT KIT Installation (pics)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3463 posts
  • Interests:Spyder Rydes and tours.
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder RT-S SE5 & RT 622 Orbital Blue

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

If you have plans to install the HID Xenon light kit at some point, it is best to do that well installing the fog light kit. If not you will just be removing most of the parts once again, also if you install both HID and fogs you will need an additional cable which is not included in either of the kits. The part # is 710 001 327 and retails for $ 99 from most dealers.

Installation of the fog lights is not really complex, just takes some time and removal of many of the body parts. I have seen posts stating it can be accomplished in less than an hour, well that maybe possible , I would say to plan for more like 1.5 to 2 hours. You don't want to rush the install and then have an issue and redo it again. :)

The directions that are provided are rather detailed and accurate as to the steps involved, and the pics can be of assistance , especially if this is the first time you have removed body panels and parts from your Spyder.

FRONT STORAGE COMPARTMENT
The removal of the front storage compartment involves removal of the service cover, diagnostic connector, the center panel, both upper side panels, both front panels, disconnecting/removal of the horn harness, disconnecting/removal of the pressure/temperature sensor harness, disconnect/removal of the storage compartment latch cable, and last the removal of the four upper screws and the two lower screws that secure the storage compartment to the Spyder.

Posted Image

REMOVE CONSOLE ASSEMBLY
Prior to the removal of the console, the instrument cluster will need to be removed. I recommend removal of the windscreen as this will allow easy access to the to the two holes for inserting a small flat screw driver to compress the locking tabs on the instrument cluster.
Once the cluster is removed there is just one cable to be disconnected from it, the turn signal harness, headlight harness will also need to be disconnected, along with removing the connections of the wires to the headlights. There are two rear bolts, and two front bolts that secure the console in place. Two rear ones are caged nuts so be aware they could fall out well removing the console. Remove the factory installed headlight harness, it will be replaced by the new harness in the kit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

FOG LIGHT SWITCH
The kit contains a template for locating and drilling of the hole for the switch. Once installed connect the four wires per the diagram. I have a replacement switch on order as the LED indicator in the switch does not function.

Posted Image

FOG LIGHT BEZELS
Replace both of the stock inlet bezels in the left and right front panels with the fog light bezels included in the kit.

Posted Image

FOG LIGHT ASSEMBLY INSTALLATION
On the rear of the storage compartment you will install two caged-nuts in the holes provided in the top left/right corners of the compartment. Install both fog lights with screws provided and torque to recommended specs.

Posted Image

WIRING HARNESS INSTALLATION
Installation of the fog light harness will take a bit of patience and time. Seems BRP was over generous with wire, most of the harness has some excess of wire and will take a few wire ties to properly secure it it in place. In the pic below you will see that BRP has provided a space on the bottom for attaching the HLC unit. One thing I suggest is to the placement of the fog light relay assembly, when we secured it BRP recommends, it became an issue when re-installing the console. After some thinking we secured it to the front of the multiple connector mounting bracket. Take time and make sure the harness is routed and secured as recommended, this way you will not have an issue when replacing the body parts, and all connectors will be in the correct areas for reconnection.

Posted Image

Posted Image

After replacing all of the parts, you should have a working system and will have learned a bit about what is under all of the body panels. :)

Posted Image

The fog lights will work with both high and low beam of the headlights.

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:39 PM

Excellent! Thanks for the tips.

Stuart #445 :thumbs:

#3 B1TTEN #509

B1TTEN #509

Inadvance Member

• SPYDER NATION
  • 1744 posts
  • Your Ride:The Best Ride Ever

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

That is strange, if they have bezels in the kit why does Spydie come with the openings like it is ready for fog lights?
FOG LIGHT BEZELS
Replace both of the stock inlet bezels in the left and right front panels with the fog light bezels included in the kit.
Anyway, pictures are great. How are they day and nights?

#4 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3463 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:04 PM

That is strange, if they have bezels in the kit why does Spydie come with the openings like it is ready for fog lights?
FOG LIGHT BEZELS
Anyway, pictures are great. How are they day and nights?

Not being an engineer of the Spyder I'm guessing the stock ones were designed for additional air inlets. Perhaps the fog lights were an after
thought and it was determined by replacing the stock ones, the air loss was not an issue. :TgC_emoticon142:
As you can see in the pics, the stock ones do not have openings for the fog lights.

Posted Image
Posted Image

As for the fog lights, Spydie has not had much road time since the install, and none after dark. It is our "winter" here in the valley, have about
4 weeks till the weather will be back to the normal sunny & warm riding time. :)
One reason I have time for working on the trailer. ;)

#5 NEXUS

NEXUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Your Ride:Polaris 500 6x6

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

Great pics,
I really did not think that the fog lights
would involve this much disassembly.

This is the next thing I was going to do
and I'm not so sure now I want to do this
myself.

How much did the dealer charge you to install
the fog lights?

Out of curiosity how hard would it be to change
a fog light bulb if one burns out ?

Thanks
NEXUS

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

Once again...as always you have outdone your self. I thought about putting the fog lights on myself, but the dealer said that anything I purchased with the Spyder, labor would be (included) in the price of the item. I bought the Fog Lights and the Xenon Lights as well. Thanks for all of the pics...I will make sure I mention to the dealer that the extra part is needed in the installation of the Fog Lights with the Xenon Lights. Thanks again

Ben

#7 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3463 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:46 AM

Great pics, I really did not think that the fog lights would involve this much disassembly.
This is the next thing I was going to do and I'm not so sure now I want to do this myself.
How much did the dealer charge you to install the fog lights?
Out of curiosity how hard would it be to change a fog light bulb if one burns out ?
Thanks
NEXUS

One of the reason I decided to make the post was to explain the amount of time and how much of the Spyder needs to be removed for the fog installation. In my opinion the install is rather involved and not as "simple" as connect two lights, toss in a cable and a switch and be done. I had the advantage of being present for the un-crating/PDI of my Spyder so I had knowledge of what would be involved for just installing the fog lights.
Just removing the side panels, storage compartment, and the console assembly is not just a 15 min process.

As for what I was charged for the install, my dealer agreed to not charge me for the actual time the install took. It was a learning experience for Jim the tech since this was the first fogs/riser block to be installed. I had the fog lights, riser block, and the new wheels/tires installed. The actual shop time spent on doing this was 7.5 hours, of which I was charged for 4 hours or $344.00.

Could have I installed the items myself, I have the tools and enough experience so yes I could have done the install. A few reasons for not doing so are :
  • Items installed by the dealer are covered under the 2 year warranty.
  • Any defective/missing parts becomes dealers problem.
  • Any scratches, dings, electrical/mechanical problems arise from the install... dealer problem.
I do have the advantage of having a good dealer and a tech that likes me, so I'm present during the service/installs and enjoy the benefit of learning more about Spydie without being liable for problems that may arise.

As for replacing one of the fog bulbs, it would be about the same amount of work as replacing one of the headlight bulbs. :)

I just installed a new scanner this evening and having a bit of a problem with out dated drivers. I should have it working tomorrow and will post a PDF file of the complete instructions for the fogs, that may be of more help in making your decision about doing an install.

#8 evoluzione

evoluzione

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 911 posts
  • Your Ride:can-am spyder - stage 4 (1060) engine, penske suspension

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:57 AM

very good write-up. having installed a couple of these systems i can say that it is not difficult but a few minor things were left out of the instructions. did you have to install a fuse in the fuse box for the fog lights? on the second install i did, the lights didn't work until i installed the fuse in the front fuse block (in the "fog light" position). also, the switch may not be the problem. when i checked the switch on the bench with a 12v power supply, the l.e.d. lights up. but installed on the bike it doesn't. though i haven't checked the other bike, it might have something to do with how the wires are installed in the connector (the next bike i get in the shop with fog lights i will figure it out). i did some rewiring of our bike (including making the fog lights the low beams only - high beams are all four lights) and mounted the switch in the trunk to control the lights with the bike off - now the l.e.d. works correctly.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports

#9 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3463 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:55 PM

very good write-up. having installed a couple of these systems i can say that it is not difficult but a few minor things were left out of the instructions. did you have to install a fuse in the fuse box for the fog lights? on the second install i did, the lights didn't work until i installed the fuse in the front fuse block (in the "fog light" position). also, the switch may not be the problem. when i checked the switch on the bench with a 12v power supply, the l.e.d. lights up. but installed on the bike it doesn't. though i haven't checked the other bike, it might have something to do with how the wires are installed in the connector (the next bike i get in the shop with fog lights i will figure it out). i did some rewiring of our bike (including making the fog lights the low beams only - high beams are all four lights) and mounted the switch in the trunk to control the lights with the bike off - now the l.e.d. works correctly.

There is no mention of installing a fog light fuse in the directions, and no fuse provided in the kit, so I assumed all Spyders were as mine and the fuse was already installed during production. Also the fog light switch was bench tested and it does not function, not surprised, if there was a defective switch in a kit, I would get that one. :)

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:29 PM

There is no mention of installing a fog light fuse in the directions, and no fuse provided in the kit, so I assumed all Spyders were as mine and the fuse was already installed during production. Also the fog light switch was bench tested and it does not function, not surprised, if there was a defective switch in a kit, I would get that one. :)

I mentioned this before. If you install the kit yourself like I did, make sure you double check that all the parts are in the box before leaving the store. Mine was missing the switch and it took me three weeks to get the privelage of buying a new one. Needless to say I had to re-install all the panels and then take them off again once I got the switch.

#11 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3463 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:02 AM

I mentioned this before. If you install the kit yourself like I did, make sure you double check that all the parts are in the box before leaving the store. Mine was missing the switch and it took me three weeks to get the privelage of buying a new one. Needless to say I had to re-install all the panels and then take them off again once I got the switch.

Just my opinion, but if I had a dealer charging me for missing parts, I would locate a different dealer. :)

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:36 PM

Does the fog lights only come's in white or do they have yellow also?

#13 evoluzione

evoluzione

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 911 posts
  • Your Ride:can-am spyder - stage 4 (1060) engine, penske suspension

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:48 PM

Does the fog lights only come's in white or do they have yellow also?

they come with a 35 watt bulb that is white(ish) - not very bright. if you could find a replacement h8 bulb in yellow you could convert it.

we just put a digital h.i.d. kit in our fog/driving lights and the difference is dramatic. they work so well that i can barely notice a difference when the high beams are turned on.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports

#14 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3463 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:51 AM

The wattage of the fog lights in the kit are adequate for what they were designed for. Fog lights are normally a low wattage bulb and their purpose is to reduce glareback in fog/snow. Here in the valley we do have a need for them as we have more than our share of fog in early morning commutes. Also if I remember correctly from many years ago, using a yellow bulb for fog lights was abandoned as test showed they did not project into the fog as well as a standard "white" bulb.
Now if you intend on using them for purposes other than what they were designed for, then changing to a higher wattage bulb or purchasing the kit Ken has available may me a better choice. :)

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:41 AM

Just completed Fog Light install, and also installed the aux outlet in the trunk while it was all apart. This project took a few hrs (not 1.5 - 2). And if I didn't have the Handy Lift I would be going to the Chiropractor right now.

There were no surprises, just many things to come apart, finding the right hardware locations, etc. The new harness required a bit of jockeying around, wasted a few tie-wraps in the process. And the fuse was already in place, AND the indicator on the button even works!

The instructions were pretty good; also used a few tips from these posts.

Stuart #445

#16 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3463 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:00 PM

Just completed Fog Light install, and also installed the aux outlet in the trunk while it was all apart. This project took a few hrs (not 1.5 - 2). And if I didn't have the Handy Lift I would be going to the Chiropractor right now.

There were no surprises, just many things to come apart, finding the right hardware locations, etc. The new harness required a bit of jockeying around, wasted a few tie-wraps in the process. And the fuse was already in place, AND the indicator on the button even works!

The instructions were pretty good; also used a few tips from these posts.

Stuart #445

Good to hear you had no issues, and as for the install time that can vary a lot, as I mentioned some posts state less than hour, I would like to see that done. Perhaps if one has expierience working on A Spyder, but not for the average DIY. :)

#17 srarndt

srarndt

SR Arndt

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • Your Ride:#249 in yellow died an untimely death on 5/23/2013 now ryding 2013 ST - S (also in yellow)

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:25 PM

And the fuse was already in place, AND the indicator on the button even works!

The button lights up??? Always lit? Lit only when foglights are on?

Steve

Bisbee, AZ

#18 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3463 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:48 PM

The button lights up??? Always lit? Lit only when foglights are on?

Not sure since I'm waiting for a replacement for the defective one, ;) but is suppose to to be lit when the fog lights are on. :thumbs:

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:14 AM

how do you bench test the button for fog's mine does not light. or maybe i saw somewhere the wires connected to switch were in wrong spots?

• Validating
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:23 PM

Man, Awsome Post!

I was searching for help on installing foglights, and ran across it. I just brought my roadster home today- and was impatient, so I opted to install the few addon things that I bought myself, as the techs didn't have time.

I am fairly techy, so for the most part the instructions make pretty good sense, but since I don't know my way around the bike, I'm having a problem finding the bolts described in the instructions. Specifically, the cage nuts holding the console in place (rear bolts?)

Any chance you could post a pic or explain exactly where they are so I can get that console off and finish the install?

Thanks again, your post helped alot.

Jamison Turner
Sacramento, CA.
Yellow Roadster #2755

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users