14,881 miles and Blown Head Gasket, *%@! - Spyder RT General Discussion - can-am Spyder Forums - SpyderTalk.com

Photo

14,881 miles and Blown Head Gasket, *%@!

Smoke oil head gasket

1 reply to this topic

#1 My1Spyder

My1Spyder

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Your Ride:2014 Spyder RTSE

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:40 PM

Hi, riding yesterday my 2014 Spyder RT with only 14,881 miles on it started to smoke suddenly really bad. No warning lights, temperature gage normal, she accelerated fine no back firing. This morning there was a pool of watery looking oil underneath it. I stuck my fingers into the oil and it was watery and had a kind of sweet smell so I knew it was a mix of oil and antifreeze which means a blown head gasket. The mechanic at Powersports said that’s what it sounds like to. They are looking at her today and will call me with an official diagnosis. The mechanic told me that they’ve had this happen with a few of these around the same mileage. No car or motorcycle engine should blow a head gasket with only 14,881 mile on it especially since it’s been easy miles for a 2014, That’s less than 2,500 mile a year. I don’t want it fixed, I want a new motor since there’s probably internal engine wear and damage now. My warranty expires on August 1 2020 so hopefully it will be covered. What do you folks think? Am I being unreasonable about wanting the motor replaced after this? Have any of you had this happen? Any suggestions on how I handle this situation?

#2 Easy Rider

Easy Rider

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Your Ride:'17 RTL

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:17 AM

I think:

IF.....it did not overheat

AND.....it did not run low on oil

AND.....it wasn't ridden but a few miles after the smoke appeared

The odds of significant engine damage is slim.

And if the warranty does cover it, you should take whatever they offer you.

It is fortunate that you still have a warranty in effect.

Might want to talk about extending the warranty for another year as part of the "fix".

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users