Spyder display problem. - Spyder RS and GS General Discussion - can-am Spyder Forums - SpyderTalk.com

Photo

Spyder display problem.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Harold Knobel

Harold Knobel

• 19 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Can Am Spyder Roadster rs

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

My 2008 Spyder  display is in Metric and I have been unable to change it.  I followed the instructions, press S for three seconds until it scrolls the message, then press S for MPH,  and it remains firmly on Metric display.  I can live with it but I prefer MPH.

Next complaint: Brake failure message comes on sometimes after braking. Braking however, seems normal. Fluid in not low. I have moved the brake pedal forward 7 inches for a tall rider, my heal is near the original pedal. It is possible that the pedal is not returning all the way because my heal interferes, though the brakes are not dragging. If the brake light actuator is depressed and the light is on, could that trigger the brake failure display?

Third complaint: The rear brake makes a loud squeal, grind, or noise when backing, especially when first starting out. The parking brake is NOT adjusted incorrectly. The rear brake also seems to drag more  than I have experienced with disk brakes previously. It does not roll freely on level ground, though it does not drag enough to overheat the pads. 

Other than the minor complaints, it runs strong and I love it!

Harold Knobel in South Georgia.

#2 Harold Knobel

Harold Knobel

• 19 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Can Am Spyder Roadster rs

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

This is Harold again,

I figured out the display thing so that is OK now.  I bled the brakes, against some advice that says we do not dare do that.  Worked fine, I did not actually see any air come out but the pedal is higher, more solid, and it no longer displays the brake failure warning.  Problem solved.  I checked the front alignment which was toed out nearly one quarter inch, causing it to "hunt" and need frequent correction.  I reset it with it up on a lift using a SWAG.  I did not go quite far enough, it now has zero toe and is much better.  I will set a little toe in next time I have it on the lift.

Running pretty good now, Happy Harold

#3 Easy Rider

Easy Rider

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Your Ride:'17 RTL

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:35 PM

If the brake light actuator is depressed and the light is on, could that trigger the brake failure display?

Yes absolutely.

So can just an occasional errant press on the pedal while not slowing down.

#4 Easy Rider

Easy Rider

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Your Ride:'17 RTL

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

I checked the front alignment which was toed out nearly one quarter inch, causing it to "hunt" and need frequent correction. 

The assumption here is that the alignment change caused it to feel less like it is darting sideways at times.

Is that true ??

I love my RT but haven't had it long and it scares the CRAP out of me at times.

Edited by Easy Rider, 22 February 2018 - 07:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users