Poor idle and low RPM - Spyder RS and GS General Discussion - can-am Spyder Forums - SpyderTalk.com

Photo

Poor idle and low RPM

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Harold Knobel

Harold Knobel

• 19 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Can Am Spyder Roadster rs

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

Recently purchased 2008 Spyder RS has poor idle and  running issues up to 2000 rpm.  Goes off on 1 cylinder sometimes, misfires randomly, blubbers, etc.  Worse when cold.  Runs well at higher rpm and has great power.  It has a Two Bros. exhaust system that is too loud for my taste. I have heard that the exhaust system can cause  changes in fuel mixture that affect engine performance.  I have ordered a take off OEM exhaust system from eBay.. Is that likely to help?

Thanks,

Harold Knobel

2003 BMW F650CS

2008 Can Am Spyder RS

#2 bbdec1

bbdec1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Your Ride:2011 Can-Am RS-S

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:53 AM

I have a 2011 RSS with the twin aftermarket exhaust pipes.  Mine did the same thing sputtering and sluggish, which turned out to be a fuel mixture problem caused by the dual exhaust..  I ended up putting a juice box on mine to solve the fuel mixture problems.  I personally like the noise of the pipes because it makes me more visible on the road.  I do believe that the pipes might be the cause of your problems and an OEM pipe might help. 

#3 Harold Knobel

Harold Knobel

• 19 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

This is Harold Knobel again with an update.  I put an original muffler on the Spyder and nothing changed. Still running  bad at idle and lower rpm. No fault codes showing. Thinking I will disconnect the battery for a bit and see if it will reset the engine management system. That has worked on my BMW F650CS in the past.

#4 Spyder998

Spyder998

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Your Ride:2012 Spyder RT L

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:11 PM

I would look at the vacuum lines on the side of the injectors. These go bad over time and cause the symptoms you describe. Easy to replace,do it with silicone tubing.

#5 Easy Rider

Easy Rider

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Your Ride:'17 RTL

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

I have ordered a take off OEM exhaust system from eBay.. Is that likely to help?

Yes.  (Well I see that has failed.)

How about plugs and wires ?

Might also want to check the evap charcoal cannister to see if it's full of fuel.

Check for intake vacuum leaks ?

Does it still have a stock air filter on it ?

A "high flow" air filter will change the mixture more than pipes.

Edited by Easy Rider, 21 November 2017 - 05:17 PM.

#6 Harold Knobel

Harold Knobel

• 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

Update by Harold Knobel.  Disconnected the battery to allow to reset the engine management system.  To my surprise, it helped quite a bit.  Idle is still not that good but it is running quite a bit better in the 2000/3000 range. Replaced one tail light bulb.  What a PITA  with the GIVI bag mountings.  Obviously no thought on ease of  bulb replacement. 

#7 Easy Rider

Easy Rider

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

OK, maybe now would be a good time to give it a double dose of a good carb cleaner in the gas.

Gumout and Berrymans B12 Chemtool are good ones.

#8 Harold Knobel

Harold Knobel

• 19 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:46 AM

Harold Knobel here again,

I do not see anything wrong with the vacuum tubes and question any problem with plugs and wires because it only has 11,400 miles.  When I took off the side panel I found a TBR Juice Box installed. I tried to adjust it but am confused by the instructions I have. I have seen different light displays but it always goes back to Green on position  one and intermittent Blue on position 8.  Since I replaced the TBR muffler with a stock item(because of noise)  I question whether I should even have the Juicebox on it.  Some say it may make it run worse.  I am considering removing it to see what it runs like. I have not looked at the air filter but it looks nearly impossible to change. I undid the clips but I could not raise it enough to get at the filter. They did little to make service easy-anywhere.

Harold

#9 Harold Knobel

Harold Knobel

• 19 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

My last post on this subject. In the end when all else failed, I was not able to program the TBR Juicebox to my satisfaction.  I took it off entirely.

Whoopee, lots better at lower rpm, still stumbles a bit in midrange but has always pulled well under acceleration. It is now stock, has a stock muffler, stock air filter, etc. I have never before  had a fuel injected engine that did not run pretty much flawlessly, especially with only 11,400 miles. My fuel injected BMW F650 CS has had no fuel or ignition issues in over 41,000 miles. I changed the plug once. It seems to me that They could have done a better job of setting the Spyder fuel injection up originally.  I do like it when it is right and at 84 years I need the stability.

Harold Knobel

#10 Easy Rider

Easy Rider

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:25 PM

and question any problem with plugs and wires because it only has 11,400 miles.  

Yes but it is almost 10 years old.

I see that most of the problem has been corrected.......by removing the amateur engine mods that were present.  Good for you.

If you have a problem that needs to be corrected, you should not dismiss any possibility out of hand without some testing.

In the case of plugs, that would be replacing them since they are fairly inexpensive.

And what about my suggestion for some injector (carb) cleaner ??

At 9 years old, that would be a really good idea.......even if it appears to be running right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users