Looking to get my 1st Spyder! HELP - Spyder RS and GS General Discussion - can-am Spyder Forums - SpyderTalk.com

Photo

Looking to get my 1st Spyder! HELP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jrgoal

Jrgoal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Your Ride:Looking to buy

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:43 PM

I am looking at a '09 Spyder SE5 and also a '14 RS SM5. They are actually going for the same price. I am curious to know if having a SE is really that important as a convience. Also is the increased technology worth going with the '14 model and losing the SE? I have also heard there are a lot of issues with the '09 year. I appreciate any input in helping me with my decision. Thanks.

#2 draboo

draboo

ReTARRED

• SPYDER NATION
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:food,water,air,shelter, toilet paper,Spyder touring
  • Your Ride:Blue Spydey RT

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:20 AM

Have you looked at both machines? How many miles on each? An '09 that is the same price as a '14..either the 14 is high mileage and/or beat up, or the 09 has low miles and in near perfect shape. 

If all the recalls have been done on the '09 (and the dealer can easily check this with the VIN) I don't think that there would be any problem. The automatic clutch function is nice. We had an RS with the standard clutch and an RT with the auto. If you are going to be doing any amount of driving in jammed up traffic, or city driving, the automatic is the way to go. If you like to feel a bit more in control, the manual works well. After driving one with the automatic clutch, I would not go back to a manual. The automatic was, when it first came out, a $1700.00 option.

The 13's and possibly 14's seem to have some heat issues from the engine compartment and gas evaporation troubles.  

Introducing the CAN AM SPYDER!!!

Life is short. Don't be a dick.

#3 Jrgoal

Jrgoal

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:05 AM

The '09 has 12k on miles and the '14 is brand new (close out deal). I am going to see both machines on Saturday. I will ask about the recalls. The '09 looks good from the pictures and has a few upgrades I can see from the pictures (e.g. Corbin seat, foot pegs, handles, and large windshield). And your thought is what I was thinking on the convience of then automatic. Maybe I can get the price down a little more on the '09. Thanks for the tips. If you have anymore I would love to hear them (what else to look for on the used bike).

#4 Jrgoal

Jrgoal

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:23 AM

Also the dealer says the '09 was owned by one of their service providers and has always been serviced at that dealer. That makes me think it is in great condition.

#5 donfireb6

donfireb6

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Your Ride:2012 RSS SE5

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

Where are you located ? I have a 2012 RS SE5 for sale in BIRMINGHAM, AL. $14500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users