#1 lowflyingowl

lowflyingowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Your Ride:Copper Spyder; VTX1300C

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

Just a note that folks may find useful....
I have a Corbin seat and originally had a single backrest, which my wife used. We just got another backrest so now I use one and the wife uses one.

Imagine our surprise when she first tried to squeeze between the two backrests -- Now, she wears size 6 jeans, so she's not large, but she felt a tad "snug" in-between the two backrests. The Corbin passenger backrest, being part of the seat, doesn't give alot of room. On the road, she really likes the enveloping feeling, but....

if anyone is considering upgrading from their stock seats, you might think of the size of your passenger! My wife thinks that if she was a size 10 or larger, there is no way she would fit between the backrests!

I would think that the BRP backrest, installed on the luggage rack, would give more room front-to-back for the passenger. Of course, you sacrifice a driver backrest at this point, but at the cost of the Corbin you sure don't want to go wrong!

#2 Dudley

Dudley

Dudley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 CanAm Spyder Red SE5 (11-18-08)

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:16 AM

Just a note that folks may find useful....
I have a Corbin seat and originally had a single backrest, which my wife used. We just got another backrest so now I use one and the wife uses one.

Imagine our surprise when she first tried to squeeze between the two backrests -- Now, she wears size 6 jeans, so she's not large, but she felt a tad "snug" in-between the two backrests. The Corbin passenger backrest, being part of the seat, doesn't give alot of room. On the road, she really likes the enveloping feeling, but....

if anyone is considering upgrading from their stock seats, you might think of the size of your passenger! My wife thinks that if she was a size 10 or larger, there is no way she would fit between the backrests!

I would think that the BRP backrest, installed on the luggage rack, would give more room front-to-back for the passenger. Of course, you sacrifice a driver backrest at this point, but at the cost of the Corbin you sure don't want to go wrong!

Since I started riding in 1966 I have never seen a reason for a backrest for me. I believe that for the passenger it is a necessity for safety. I find that the rider back rest poses a safety issue for the passenger in case of an accident. Years ago we had friends that were involved in a rear end collision with a car that suddenly stopped in front of them while going 55 mph. The wife broke her pelvis when her pelvis was forced against his backrest. She too, liked the "enveloping feeling". I am not expert, but that's the main reason I would never have one. We have a Corbin seat with a BRP backrest. My wife likes the curved design of the BRP backrest and says it helps her stay more secure while riding.

Edited by Dudley, 11 April 2009 - 12:19 AM.

CalSci windshield, BRP riser, Corbin seats, BRP back rest, GIVI V35 hard bags, Ride On tire sealer and micro balancer

#3 SpyderGirl

SpyderGirl

Founder / Vice President - San Francisco Bay Area Chapter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, photography, hanging with friends, and motorcycling.
  • Your Ride:2008 Quantum Blue Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S (Viper Red)

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:57 AM

The hubby squeezed himself between the two backrests. He's 6'3" and 220lbs. I couldn't imagine it was too comfortable. I, on the other hand, am 5'3" and only 130lbs, I fit pretty good. So if you ever decide to sell one of those backrests, let me know. :)

Edited by SpyderGirl, 11 April 2009 - 12:57 AM.

2008 Quantum Blue Can-Am Spyder SM5 PE #1344 - Owner Since 2/8/08
Mods: HMF, blue 6 spoke wheels, HIDs, Tricringz / Tricfenderz, Corbin heated seats, Corbin saddlebags, Corbin hitch, Corbin fairing & Cee Baileys windshield, GIVI E55 Trunk, Piggybacker trailer, 1" BRP riser, 4" ESI risers, mudflap lights (signals), & LED 3rd brake light.

Spyders in the Redwoods (Sonora, CA) August 5 - 8, 2013 - I'll be there... will YOU??

#4 SpyderCrazy

SpyderCrazy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Red SE-5

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:51 AM

It is snug between the two corbin backrests, but the backrests are easy to remove. If we are going to be riding two up we just take the drivers backrest off temporarily. Of course, since my husband and I both have Spyders, two up riding doesn't happen too often. It is just too much fun to drive my own. :riding:

Edited by SpyderCrazy, 11 April 2009 - 07:52 AM.

Cindy

Red SE-5, Kewl Metal Center Console & 9" Handlebars, Kewl Metal Brackets & Highway Pegs, Russell Heated Seat, Corbin Saddle Bags & Corbin Trunk Box, Cal-Sci XL Windshield, Spyderwoman's Parking Brake Extenison Mod, No Magic Neon's Mud Flap Lights & Fender Tipz.

#5 Donzo

Donzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Your Ride:Outlander 800, Sabre 1100 and 08 fullmoon SM5 Spyder Roadster

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

The Corbin driver backrest swings forward - out of the way if there is an accident. At least the one I had on my Honda did - I would assume the one for Spydie also does. A fixed driver seat backrest could really be an issue for a passenger in an accident.........

#6 Spyderaddict

Spyderaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Your Ride:Can-Am Spyder

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

Correct, the Corbin backrest folds down in a forward motion. You could also use the Corbin backrest for the driver and the BRP for the passenger. I have the Corbin and 1 backrest the I keep in the drivers position. I can either move it to the back for a passenger, or plop the BRP backrest on.

Many have no need for a drivers backrest, but if you have any lower back problems it can really help on longer rides. I can't see having the driver backrest without using one of the various handlebar riser kits (3"-5").

#7 lowflyingowl

lowflyingowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

tomorrow will be the first long ride to try this out. I never used a rider backrest before now, either -- never thought I needed one and still find it not all that comfortable with the back armor in my jacket.

But the wife likes the rider backrest to keep her from sliding forward into me when we stop - - the passenger footpegs aren't in the best position for using her feet to brace.

She has figured out that the Corbin swivels front to back -- so getting on is easier now.

We'll see how she likes both on a long ride tomorrow. For me, I'll only keep the one on the passenger seat most of the time -- I only need it to hold the T-bag or if I pick up a passenger( and I'd better not do THAT very often). Over 90% of the miles are solo. In the meantime, whatever gets her to ride more works for me.

I'll mention the broken pelvis issue to her --- we don't need that at all obviously..

#8 Dudley

Dudley

Dudley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 CanAm Spyder Red SE5 (11-18-08)

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:38 AM

tomorrow will be the first long ride to try this out. I never used a rider backrest before now, either -- never thought I needed one and still find it not all that comfortable with the back armor in my jacket.

But the wife likes the rider backrest to keep her from sliding forward into me when we stop - - the passenger footpegs aren't in the best position for using her feet to brace.

She has figured out that the Corbin swivels front to back -- so getting on is easier now.

We'll see how she likes both on a long ride tomorrow. For me, I'll only keep the one on the passenger seat most of the time -- I only need it to hold the T-bag or if I pick up a passenger( and I'd better not do THAT very often). Over 90% of the miles are solo. In the meantime, whatever gets her to ride more works for me.

I'll mention the broken pelvis issue to her --- we don't need that at all obviously..

The time it takes for your passenger to hit the rider backrest is less than 1/10th of a second on a 55 mph impact. The rider's backrest's ability to fold forward is mute. But, like anyting else, if you never have an accident, you cannot prove it one way or another. I read about impact travels in an accident because I had a near-death accident years ago doing 55 mph in an SUV with no seatbelts and hitting a non-moving object. What I found really made me thankful to be alive.
CalSci windshield, BRP riser, Corbin seats, BRP back rest, GIVI V35 hard bags, Ride On tire sealer and micro balancer

#9 billybob

billybob

Advanced Member

• SPYDER NATION
  • 1,099 posts
  • Location:Mantoloking NJ,Southhampton LI. New York, - Sanibel island,Florida
  • Interests:traveling
  • Your Ride:outlander max/xt/800/ spyder/gs # 2508full moon .2010/ spyder rt-s #0002 timless black / rt 622 trailer. 2010 harley fat boy lo denim black

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

i went with the corbin trunk box with built in pass back rest . for me the driver went with the corbin #02-t 'tee bac ' large its is made for the driver with the shape so the pass has more room for the legs

Attached Images

• scan0010.jpg

Edited by billybobnbaxter, 12 April 2009 - 07:53 AM.

I TRULY AM A LUCKY MAN

"OH! LET THE SUN BEAT DOWN UPON MY FACE , STARS FILL MY DREAMS , I AM THE TRAVELER OF ALL TIME AND SPACE TO BE WHERE I HAVE BEEN". Robert Plant - Kashmir

I'm in a New York state of mind ,mmmm , AGAIN AFTER 30 FRIGGIN YRS OF BEING GONE !!!! OMG *%@

#10 Spyderaddict

Spyderaddict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Your Ride:Can-Am Spyder

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:33 PM

i went with the corbin trunk box with built in pass back rest . for me the driver went with the corbin #02-t 'tee bac ' large its is made for the driver with the shape so the pass has more room for the legs

That doesn't look like the Spyder backrest - the mounting bracket is too wide. Is this on some other bike?

Used my Corbin today with NMN risers - had various issues. Seat seems too far forward - at least I feel too far forward when the backrest is on. Feels like with backrest that I'm lodged in between the handlebars and the backrest - too the backrest off and now feel much more 'normal'.

Still not sure about the NMN risers - getting more vibration than I had before.

#11 lowflyingowl

lowflyingowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:05 PM

After 100 miles today with 2 up, the wife really likes both backrests on -- she only wishes we had the new passenger pegs.

On the other hand, when I ride solo, I really don't like the feel of the backrest, so it will move back to the passenger post in case I need the T-bag also.

Was thinking about the trunk box, but I can't justify that amount of $$ for the small amount of storage, given the cost of the BRP Givi bags. Easy for me to say having spent extra for the Spyder with the Corbin seats and Corbin fairing, but who says consistency is a virtue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users