#41 spyder13

spyder13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Your Ride:spyder #189

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:27 AM

If this is true where is the o2 sensor located at. I work on cars for a living and the reading has to be read after the converter. Hmmm. Don't see it back there.
spyder13

#42 evoluzione

evoluzione

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 911 posts
  • Your Ride:can-am spyder - stage 4 (1060) engine, penske suspension

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

If this is true where is the o2 sensor located at. I work on cars for a living and the reading has to be read after the converter. Hmmm. Don't see it back there.

i'm a degreed automotive engineer but that doesn't change anything. the cars you work on have dual o2 sensors because they have what is known as obd2 (on-board diagnostics) which has been required on cars since 1996. the obd2 will check the efficency of the catalytic converter so it needs to see before and after. on the bikes, this is not required (yet) so the o2 sensor is only used for fuel trim. but you don't have to believe me - just go out to your spyder, pull your muffler off (takes about 2-3 minutes) and look inside.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports

#43 okverne

okverne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Your Ride:2007 Outlander 800xt camo

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:34 PM

i agree. the O2 sensor doesnt have to be behind the cat to monitor fuel ratios.
"I wont crash: it's a beer truck!"
2007 Outlander 800 XT
2008 Spyder silver/black, no mods yet...
2004 Quest Max 650 XT

#44 spyder13

spyder13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Your Ride:spyder #189

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:14 PM

Ok I'll agree with the o2 doesn't have to be behind the cat on a bike. Different than car and Gov. not as strict on bikes. But back to the orginal issue,why does it say on after market exhaust not for street use. All after market pipes have it on. The reason is noise decibles. I think the Gov. measure is 81 decibles. They put that on all pipes to cover there a--. ( Still don't think the pipe is a cat).
spyder13

#45 srarndt

srarndt

SR Arndt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Your Ride:#249 in yellow died an untimely death on 5/23/2013 now ryding 2013 ST - S (also in yellow)

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:49 PM

( Still don't think the pipe is a cat).

Both Mark Lacroix (sp?) from BRP during a chat, and an email from BRP staffers have confirmed the cat is in the stock can.

Steve

Bisbee, AZ

#46 evoluzione

evoluzione

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 911 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:59 PM

...( Still don't think the pipe is a cat).

the catalytic converter is in the muffler. i have looked in the muffler, i have looked through the header, i have designed a new exhaust system - what more can i say?
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports

#47 MRG#297

MRG#297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Can-am Spyder, 2008 Victory Vision, 2008 Harley-Davidson Street Glide, 2007 Yamaha FJR1300

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:02 AM

the catalytic converter is in the muffler. i have looked in the muffler, i have looked through the header, i have designed a new exhaust system - what more can i say?

Just tell these guys to stop asking dumb questions so you can get back to making goodies for our Spyders... lol :lol:

#48 captjack

captjack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Your Ride:burgman 650 executive

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:09 PM

One of the factory guys out here in Calif. has a Leo Vince muffler on his Spyder sounds real nice. The last time I saw him I asked him about it as I don't see it on the Leo Vince webb site. He said call them.

#49 evoluzione

evoluzione

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 911 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

One of the factory guys out here in Calif. has a Leo Vince muffler on his Spyder sounds real nice. The last time I saw him I asked him about it as I don't see it on the Leo Vince webb site. He said call them.

leo vince does not have anything yet (as of 16 nov) but we have told them we want them when they are available. we will post as soon as we have info.

in the mean time, we are finishing up our connector pipes to work with various mufflers (remus, leo vince) and will let you know about those as well.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports

#50 NEXUS

NEXUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Your Ride:Polaris 500 6x6

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:55 PM

leo vince does not have anything yet (as of 16 nov) but we have told them we want them when they are available. we will post as soon as we have info.

in the mean time, we are finishing up our connector pipes to work with various mufflers (remus, leo vince) and will let you know about those as well.

Ken,
Jest wondering what do think dual exhaust would cost.?
When do you plan to have one ready for us to hear?
By the way bikescreen came through on the windshield,thanks

NEXUS

#51 Tonga

Tonga

tonga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Miata, Spyder
  • Your Ride:RT Full Moon

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:32 AM

Ken,
Jest wondering what do think dual exhaust would cost.?
When do you plan to have one ready for us to hear?
By the way bikescreen came through on the windshield,thanks

NEXUS

I. for one, want duals. Not for added HP but "Looks". Sooooo important !!! If HP comes with it, so be it. Send Pics ASAP.

#52 Runeatic

Runeatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Can Am Spyder,2006 M109,2005 Honda Rune

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

I believe any aftermarket exhaust is also going to cost at least $600.00

#53 smokster

smokster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:Taking long walks on the beach :)
  • Your Ride:spyder

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

all right, there seems to be a lot of misinformation on this subject. first, the catalytic converter is in the muffler (not the header). second, the can-am/hindle muffler does not have a catalytic converter. by the letter of the law, you are not supposed to remove or modify any part of the exhaust system if the bike is being used on the highway (not race track).

as to performance, the can-am/hindle muffler does add a couple of horsepower (according to can-am). based on our years of development with the aprilia mille (rotax engine), a good slip-on should add ~6-7 hp. a true dual system will typically add over 10 hp and it can add up to 15 lbs-ft of mid range torque. we are currently designing several slip-on mufflers and will also have a true dual system in the coming months.

with regards to fuel management, we will offer an adjustable fuel pressure regulator that will allow you to fine tune the fuel for the added airflow from the exhaust (and our coming race airflow system). the o2 sensor will allow the ecu to adjust the fuel trim during lower power running (cruising) but has no effect during high loads.

hope this helps.

Yeah, what Ken said
The tribe leader has spoken :)

#54 hevnbound

hevnbound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Your Ride:Yellow Spyder #38

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

Ken ..... You posted the following statement: "we are currently designing several slip-on mufflers"! Would one of them be a Two Brothers with the V.A.L.E. design? The following statement comes from their web site: The V.A.L.E.TM inlet design eliminates the use of springs and creates an adjustable mount that is rock solid when fixed in place!

Here is a picture of one I'm interested in: Two_Bros__Exhaust.jpg

#55 evoluzione

evoluzione

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 911 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:32 PM

Ken ..... You posted the following statement: "we are currently designing several slip-on mufflers"! Would one of them be a Two Brothers with the V.A.L.E. design? The following statement comes from their web site: The V.A.L.E.TM inlet design eliminates the use of springs and creates an adjustable mount that is rock solid when fixed in place!

we have no desire to work with two bros. mufflers - let's just leave it at that.

we are custom making a connector pipe for a customer using a micron muffler that uses a clamp (but also has spring hooks) - if you find a muffler you like, let us know and we may be able to custom make a connector pipe for it.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports

#56 hevnbound

hevnbound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:51 AM

we have no desire to work with two bros. mufflers - let's just leave it at that.

we are custom making a connector pipe for a customer using a micron muffler that uses a clamp (but also has spring hooks) - if you find a muffler you like, let us know and we may be able to custom make a connector pipe for it.

**** There are basically three vendors in the motorcycle world that I do not like to deal with and for probably some of the same reasons you have ... Two Brothers is one of them. If I bought the Two Bros through you, then I wouldn't have had to deal with them ... :P

**** My all time favorite can is the Staintune. I think their USA distributor is somewhere in Calif - any chances of working it out for a Staintune? If I remember correctly, they either don't use springs or they are more concealed than others?

#57 evoluzione

evoluzione

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 911 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

...My all time favorite can is the Staintune. I think their USA distributor is somewhere in Calif - any chances of working it out for a Staintune? If I remember correctly, they either don't use springs or they are more concealed than others?

we are a staintune dealer so i can follow up on that for you.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports

#58 hevnbound

hevnbound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:27 PM

we are a staintune dealer so i can follow up on that for you.

Excellent ... I'll look for your response.

Thanks,
Sam

#59 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyders

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

Latest reply from Hindle...Good on them :D

I will make sure to update our website when more information will be
available on the Spyder sport exhaust.
Sincerely,
Alison

Not sure they have made any updates to their site yet...

Riding a Spyder puts a smile on my face

#60 hevnbound

hevnbound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

Not sure they have made any updates to their site yet...

I had emailed Hindle a few days ago and the following is their response:

fromHINDLE EXHAUST <info@hindle.com>
toSam Phillips <hevnbound@gmail.com>,

dateJan 17, 2008 4:27 PM
subjectRe: Hindle exahust for Can-Am Spyder
mailed-byyourhostingaccount.com

Hello Sam,

Thank you for your inquiry. We are hoping to have a shipment sent to
BRP by the end of the month. They will then be distributed to BRP
dealers.

Thank you for your patience,
Alison