#1 tjfischer

tjfischer

Lets RYde

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder #1076

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

Does anyone know the towing capacity of the Spyder?

I'm hoping to do a month long ride this summer. I would like to get a teardrop camping trailer, or a small pop-up tent trailer for camping. But I don't know the towing capacity of the Spyder. I know the manual says NO TOWING. But I also know that a numbe of rider have already equipt their bike for towing.

Next question. Any recomendations on trailers?
"Speak ill of no man, but speak all the good you know of everybody." Benjamin Franklin

#2 chrisboerman

chrisboerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Your Ride:yellow spyder

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

I'm hoping to do a month long ride this summer. I would like to get a teardrop camping trailer, or a small pop-up tent trailer for camping. But I don't know the towing capacity of the Spyder. I know the manual says NO TOWING. But I also know that a numbe of rider have already equipt their bike for towing.

:TgC_emoticon142: Same here,whats the true pulling stats with this bike? Thanks for infor. :riding:

#3 SpyderGuy

SpyderGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Your Ride:Full Moon Silver Spyder #2115

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

The "Official" towing capacity of the Spyder is ZERO (0). You are not technically supposed to tow anything with it since it's sophisticated stability management system was not designed with towing in mind.

#4 SLO RYDER

SLO RYDER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Your Ride:08 Can Am Spyder

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:24 PM

The "Official" towing capacity of the Spyder is ZERO (0). You are not technically supposed to tow anything with it since it's sophisticated stability management system was not designed with towing in mind.

Yes and if we all lived by the rules we would still be a British Colony!!

Check with LaMonster on Spyderlover.com forum. He has a trailer that he pulls. He can probably let you know what the weight is that he has pulled. I've pulled a small trailer behind my two wheeled bike and it is better than overloading the bike on a long trip two up. Mine probably never exceeded 250 pounds and the tongue weight was probably around 40 pounds. The Spyder has more than suficient power to pull.

Keep in mind that the stopping distance will be greater as well as the acceleration reduced.

Mike

#5 sabunim5

sabunim5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Your Ride:91 K100 RS, Silver Spyder #1232

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

Stuffed my trailer to the gills to see. I did not have a scale, but my guess is about 400 lbs. Pulled it for a couple of thousand miles, no problem. Usually don't pack it that full. http://www.webbikewo...rcycle-trailer/ has a fairly comprehensive review of cargo and camping trailers. They will have links to the vendors. Go with a company that has been in business for a while. Bushtec is popular, but I don't think they make a camping trailer. My cargo trailer is an Escapade LT from California Sidecars. I got a great deal on a used one. If I want to camp I just load my gear. I think Time Out makes a camping trailer as do three or four other companies. Happy shopping :lol: Ryde Safe and Enjoy
sabunim5 :silver2:

Edited by sabunim5, 19 January 2009 - 01:12 PM.

Silver PE#1232 All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT

#6 SpyderByte

SpyderByte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Anything Spyder related, motorcycles and snowmobiles. Just a motor head in general :)
  • Your Ride:2008 Yellow SM5 PE #2062 (still going strong), 2010 Yellow RS (sold), Another 2010 Yellow RS (sold), 2013 Yellow STS (current)

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:48 PM

It might void your warranty. I know it does on some makes of bikes.

#7 sabunim5

sabunim5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Your Ride:91 K100 RS, Silver Spyder #1232

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:36 PM

It might void your warranty. I know it does on some makes of bikes.

That is possible. I checked with my dealer first, and there was no problem, but every dealer is different. Wise to err on the side of caution.
Silver PE#1232 All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT

#8 doctor

doctor

doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Your Ride:#1058

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

That is possible. I checked with my dealer first, and there was no problem, but every dealer is different. Wise to err on the side of caution.

You can tow more than you can haul. I tow a bustec with my bmwlt, because I don't want to overload the bike. The trailer only adds about 40 pounds to the bike. Tongus weight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users