DragonSpyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Quads, Now 3-Wheeling
  • Your Ride:SM5

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

I'm looking to change out my spark plugs for NGK Irridiums but can't seem to find the heat sync paste P12 anywhere local. Some places have Dennex (sp?) and I was wondering if this will work just as well? Anyone know who sells the P12 or used anything else? Thanks!

#2 B-Man

B-Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder08

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

try a GM dealership, they use that plug in a bunch of cars

I'm looking to change out my spark plugs for NGK Irridiums but can't seem to find the heat sync paste P12 anywhere local. Some places have Dennex (sp?) and I was wondering if this will work just as well? Anyone know who sells the P12 or used anything else? Thanks!

#3 DragonSpyder

DragonSpyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:32 PM

ttt

#4 DragonSpyder

DragonSpyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:24 AM

So, nobody has changed their own sparkplug? If so, you paid $40 for a tube of the P12 from the dealer? C'mon folks there must be another simple solution to this.

I can't find any other ATV, Car, Snowmobile, etc. that requires you put this gunk on the plug. Is it even really necessary?

#5 B-Man

B-Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:50 AM

is this for the threads or the wire boot?

So, nobody has changed their own sparkplug? If so, you paid $40 for a tube of the P12 from the dealer? C'mon folks there must be another simple solution to this.

I can't find any other ATV, Car, Snowmobile, etc. that requires you put this gunk on the plug. Is it even really necessary?

#6 DragonSpyder

DragonSpyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:36 AM

is this for the threads or the wire boot?

It is for the paste on the threads. Can't find the paste anywhere but the dealer and it seems no other brand has the same properties.... Seems BRP is making a habit of requiring things you can only buy from them like oil (let's not go there!).

#7 skorp55

skorp55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Your Ride:2002 VFR800

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:31 AM

It is for the paste on the threads. Can't find the paste anywhere but the dealer and it seems no other brand has the same properties.... Seems BRP is making a habit of requiring things you can only buy from them like oil (let's not go there!).

I like to use a very small amount of anti-sieze on spark plugs when they go into alumium heads but have never heard it called heat sync paste. Is your dealer service dept. using it and will they give you a MSDS for it? I would be interested to know how it is differnt from what we have used for years.

#8 B-Man

B-Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:10 AM

heat synic past is dialectric grease....auto parts, radio Shack...electronic stores

I like to use a very small amount of anti-sieze on spark plugs when they go into alumium heads but have never heard it called heat sync paste. Is your dealer service dept. using it and will they give you a MSDS for it? I would be interested to know how it is differnt from what we have used for years.

#9 Tonga

Tonga

tonga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Miata, Spyder
  • Your Ride:RT Full Moon

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:20 AM

heat synic past is dialectric grease....auto parts, radio Shack...electronic stores

I have used both products but never used di-electric grease on a spark plug. I agree with the anti-seize being used for plugs in aluminium heads. It is high temp for plugs and don't think BRP has a momopoly on anti-seize grease. I also have never remove a plug out of a hot engine.

#10 Latemarch

Latemarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Your Ride:SE5, Millenium Yellow

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:41 PM

I have used both products but never used di-electric grease on a spark plug. I agree with the anti-seize being used for plugs in aluminium heads. It is high temp for plugs and don't think BRP has a momopoly on anti-seize grease. I also have never remove a plug out of a hot engine.

Almost all anti-seize compounds have a high metal content and behave as good heat transfer agents.
I think that any anti-sieze used would be OK :)

#11 John in PA

John in PA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Civil War Artillery, church activities, Moto Guzzi motorcycles, and Can-Am Spyder
  • Your Ride:Red SM-5 and Moto Guzzi motorcycles

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:30 AM

The high metal content also conducts electricity. Be careful not to contaminate the electrode area of the plug or it may foul up performance.
John Wells in Hollidaysburg, PA

#12 johnboy

johnboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder.yellow.Since 10.06.08

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:25 AM

everyone I know uses the copper based grease on their plugs and to my knowledge none of us has had any problems. (personaly used for the last 30 years plus).

#13 John in PA

John in PA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Civil War Artillery, church activities, Moto Guzzi motorcycles, and Can-Am Spyder
  • Your Ride:Red SM-5 and Moto Guzzi motorcycles

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

everyone I know uses the copper based grease on their plugs and to my knowledge none of us has had any problems. (personaly used for the last 30 years plus).

Me. too! But I always avoid getting it on the electrodes.
John Wells in Hollidaysburg, PA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users