#1 Timmah

Timmah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Your Ride:Soon to be Spyder SE5

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:19 PM

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the parking brake?

#2 johnboy

johnboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder.yellow.Since 10.06.08

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

Hi Timmah. Stand spydie on level ground with park brake released.Adjust the cable from the caliper end by loosening the lock net on the cable and adjusting the front nut a little at a time and nipping the rear nut up.Check for hold by pressing the pedal gently till you hear one click and the brake holds.DO NOT TREAD ON THE PEDAL as this will give you problems .This method will take a bit of time to get sweet but is how I do it and have had no problems. By the way,you will need to do this adjustment as the rear pads wear but be gentle and DO NOT STAND ON THE PEDALTO SET THE BRAKE.When you think it holding o k check that spydie mooves freely when you release the brake.Lots of us hear a noise when we have the setting correct and roll spydie backwards,dont worry too much about this as long as you have no binding going forward. Hope this helps.
Johnboy.
P.s . there are many entries on this if you do a search.

#3 sylblk

sylblk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Your Ride:spyder se5

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:16 AM

Hi Timmah. Stand spydie on level ground with park brake released.Adjust the cable from the caliper end by loosening the lock net on the cable and adjusting the front nut a little at a time and nipping the rear nut up.Check for hold by pressing the pedal gently till you hear one click and the brake holds.DO NOT TREAD ON THE PEDAL as this will give you problems .This method will take a bit of time to get sweet but is how I do it and have had no problems. By the way,you will need to do this adjustment as the rear pads wear but be gentle and DO NOT STAND ON THE PEDALTO SET THE BRAKE.When you think it holding o k check that spydie mooves freely when you release the brake.Lots of us hear a noise when we have the setting correct and roll spydie backwards,dont worry too much about this as long as you have no binding going forward. Hope this helps.
Johnboy.
P.s . there are many entries on this if you do a search.

hello, would you know if the rear brake caliper has a self adjusting mechanism that compensate for pads wear? all calipers that i know of that have a park brake activation, also have ratcheting inners. when the pads need replacement, the caliper piston needs to be compressed and turned at the same time. is it ok long term, to use the park brake adjustment as the start point?. thanks. Tony.

#4 spyryder

spyryder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Your Ride:premier edition# 3550

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:44 AM

The parking brake is manually adjusted by adjusting the cable at the caliper....it doesn't allow for a lot of adjustment though. When the cable is at it's limit, the lever will have to be removed and repositioned. There's no ratcheting adjustment mechanism that I'm aware of in this system.

Edited by spyryder, 30 September 2008 - 02:02 AM.

#5 sylblk

sylblk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:19 AM

The parking brake is manually adjusted by adjusting the cable at the caliper....it doesn't allow for a lot of adjustment though. When the cable is at it's limit, the lever will have to be removed and repositioned. There's no ratcheting adjustment mechanism that I'm aware of in this system.

hello, do you mean that the lever mounted on the caliper needs to be removed and reinstalled at a different angle to regain an adequate throw?. at 3000 miles, i now have the cable at it's tightest setting and it will take 5 clicks for the park brake to hold. thanks.

#6 spyryder

spyryder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:33 AM

hello, do you mean that the lever mounted on the caliper needs to be removed and reinstalled at a different angle to regain an adequate throw?. at 3000 miles, i now have the cable at it's tightest setting and it will take 5 clicks for the park brake to hold. thanks.

Yes, remove the lever from the caliper and turn the splined shaft so that the shoes are against the rotor. Re-install the lever and now you'll be able to use the cable adjustment to get it within specs. I set mine so that it holds firmly with 2 clicks.

#7 sylblk

sylblk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:52 PM

Yes, remove the lever from the caliper and turn the splined shaft so that the shoes are against the rotor. Re-install the lever and now you'll be able to use the cable adjustment to get it within specs. I set mine so that it holds firmly with 2 clicks.

very nice of you to share. did it and it now works perfecly with the cable adjustment 1/2 way. i don't think it was ever set correcly because the lever at rear caliper now rests close to the stop bar when brake is released. never did that since new. thanks again.

#8 spyryder

spyryder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:03 AM

very nice of you to share. did it and it now works perfecly with the cable adjustment 1/2 way. i don't think it was ever set correcly because the lever at rear caliper now rests close to the stop bar when brake is released. never did that since new. thanks again.

Good, that's exactly where I've got mine adjusted. :thumbs:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users