• 3,463 posts
  • Interests:Spyder Rydes and tours.
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder RT-S SE5 & RT 622 Orbital Blue

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:58 AM

12-V Power Outlet Kit
Part # 710001316
MSRP (US)$ 23.49 ---- (CA)$29.49

Posted Image

In my opinion the instructions are easy to understand, and includes a template for location of the hole.
Posted Image

When cutting out the template, be sure to cut it correctly and exact, a slight variation of the template can cause issues
when installing the outlet.
Posted Image

A hole saw works well, one can use a dremel or similar tool.
Posted Image

Outlet installed and ready for replacing the trunk onto the Spyder. The wire harness is located on the Spyder and includes a
boot to keep moisture out.
Posted Image

The outlet in place without the trunk liner.
Posted Image

The outlet with trunk liner.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Installation of the outlet requires the removal of the trunk, as for time it can take 1 to 2 hours, dependent upon if you have prior experience in removal/installation of the trunk.
Basic tools and a tool for drilling/cutting of the hole is all that is required. Also verify that there is a fuse installed in the fuse box, have seen some Spyders not have the fuse in place from the factory.

If you intend on installing th BRP trunk liner, do that well installing the power outlet. When using the liner, the power outlet needs to be inserted thru the provided opening in the liner. In the past I had read where a few members had an issue of not being able to access the outlet easily after the liner was installed by a dealer. Reason being, the dealer took the easy install and did not do it properly. :)

Edited by Tharkun#409, 02 September 2008 - 12:43 PM.

#2 Back-to-doo

Back-to-doo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Your Ride:Goldwing GL1800

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:21 PM

Nice write up. Thanks for the pics helps alot!

#3 John in PA

John in PA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Civil War Artillery, church activities, Moto Guzzi motorcycles, and Can-Am Spyder
  • Your Ride:Red SM-5 and Moto Guzzi motorcycles

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:36 AM

The outlet is a standard cigarette-lighter type, not a BMW/John Deer type, correct? What's the wattage of the fuse as installed by BRP?
John Wells in Hollidaysburg, PA

#4 Texan

Texan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Your Ride:Spurs Silver

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

That is just where I want a power outlet, inside the trunk :TgC_emoticon142: where it is so convenient to plug in a GPS or heated riding suit....
Texan
San Antonio
Putting miles on it

#5 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:52 PM

That is just where I want a power outlet, inside the trunk :TgC_emoticon142: where it is so convenient to plug in a GPS or heated riding suit....

I spent the time to post this and the pics as an aid to help any owners that may purchase the outlet and be doing a self install. I'm aware there are members that are not happy with the location, a well as I'm aware that it will not be a convenient location for all accessories. How ever I would really appreciate this topic not ending up as a pro/con issues of the outlet, it will just create more reading thru of posts that have nothing to do with the installation of the outlet for any that are looking for installation info. :thumbs:

#6 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

The outlet is a standard cigarette-lighter type, not a BMW/John Deer type, correct? What's the wattage of the fuse as installed by BRP?

No it is not the same design of the BMW/John Deere type, and Spyide did not have a fuse in place from the factory, I installed a 3 amp fuse.

#7 Texan

Texan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Your Ride:Spurs Silver

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:42 PM

I spent the time to post this and the pics as an aid to help any owners that may purchase the outlet and be doing a self install. I'm aware there are members that are not happy with the location, a well as I'm aware that it will not be a convenient location for all accessories. How ever I would really appreciate this topic not ending up as a pro/con issues of the outlet, it will just create more reading thru of posts that have nothing to do with the installation of the outlet for any that are looking for installation info. :thumbs:

I am sorry the tone turned out to be negative, as I didn't intend it to be negative. You provided a really good write up of the install and good images. :thumbs:

Yes it is a bit sarcastic because for the life of me, I just can't imagine why BRP, which has made an otherwise very good machine, put the plug in such an illogical place? :TgC_emoticon142:

Edited by Texan, 03 September 2008 - 09:43 PM.

Texan
San Antonio
Putting miles on it

#8 Nate

Nate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Your Ride:spyder

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

Does CAN-AM prewire for the power outlet? I was going to have the dealer install the outlet but I think if I don't have to cut into the wiring, I will try it myself. I can handle the hole and a fuse... :)

UPDATE: The bike comes prewired for the power outlet. I just installed mine and the most difficult part is where you have to remove 2 screws from under the storage compartment. It took some time to just figure out which ones they were talking about. If you are working with the bike on the ground, space is limited so you may want to find a way of lifting the front end. This is not necessary but would have made the job much easier. The pictures in the instructions guide you along well. If you get confused about the 2 bolts that have to be removed from below the compartment, you will be able to identify the correct ones by the size. The 2 bolts that have to be removed are smaller than the other 2 that are near the same area. I will try to get some photos posted to point out some of the tricky things.

Thanks,

Nate

Edited by Nate, 04 October 2008 - 12:31 AM.

#9 vtsmike

vtsmike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 SE5

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:14 PM

Is this outlet always hot. (power to it with the key removed.) thanks
Patriot Guard Rider

#10 Everett

Everett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Your Ride:'09 Spyder SE5

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for the explanation for installing the 12 volt plug-in----I want one exactly as done by #409-----I was also wondering if it's hot all the time or only when the ignition is on. I'm not totally clear on the wiring or connection that is installed by the factory----How does the wiring-up work? Thanks----do I get the BRP unit or one from Radio Shack as some have done?----Ev

#11 BigDaddyGemini

BigDaddyGemini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Can Am Spyder

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:20 PM

12-V Power Outlet Kit
Part # 710001316
MSRP (US)$ 23.49 ---- (CA)$29.49

Posted Image

In my opinion the instructions are easy to understand, and includes a template for location of the hole.
Posted Image

When cutting out the template, be sure to cut it correctly and exact, a slight variation of the template can cause issues
when installing the outlet.
Posted Image

A hole saw works well, one can use a dremel or similar tool.
Posted Image

Outlet installed and ready for replacing the trunk onto the Spyder. The wire harness is located on the Spyder and includes a
boot to keep moisture out.
Posted Image

The outlet in place without the trunk liner.
Posted Image

The outlet with trunk liner.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Installation of the outlet requires the removal of the trunk, as for time it can take 1 to 2 hours, dependent upon if you have prior experience in removal/installation of the trunk.
Basic tools and a tool for drilling/cutting of the hole is all that is required. Also verify that there is a fuse installed in the fuse box, have seen some Spyders not have the fuse in place from the factory.

If you intend on installing th BRP trunk liner, do that well installing the power outlet. When using the liner, the power outlet needs to be inserted thru the provided opening in the liner. In the past I had read where a few members had an issue of not being able to access the outlet easily after the liner was installed by a dealer. Reason being, the dealer took the easy install and did not do it properly. :)

Sorry guys! I didn't get the pictures. But when I start adding on, I think I'll take my Spydah to the dealer and let the "cracker-jack" installer/service dude do the work. I have or lack the aptitude for installing electrical stuff, excluding stereo equipment. And my Spydah ain't not no stereo!

#12 NHPhantom

NHPhantom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Family, Hunting, anything outdoors and oh yes, now my Spyder.....
  • Your Ride:09 Phantom

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

Sorry guys! I didn't get the pictures. But when I start adding on, I think I'll take my Spydah to the dealer and let the "cracker-jack" installer/service dude do the work. I have or lack the aptitude for installing electrical stuff, excluding stereo equipment. And my Spydah ain't not no stereo!

So the pig tail is just sitting inside the Bike? I bought mine the other day, the hole is predilled just no plug, So do I need to take it all apart or can I "fish the pigtail" plug and go? Any input on the pigtal location would be appreciatted. I was hoping when I opened the cap it would be right there. Most dealers seem to install this. I did ot even think to ask the dealer to do so, shame on me, I certainly would have sprung for the $30- part.... Thanks

#13 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:01 AM

Strange the hole is pre-drilled, what year is your Spyder ?

Unless someone has found a better way, you will need to remove the Spyder trunk, one reason, to locate the wiring harness with the pigtail, and two, to connect the threaded retaining ring to the plug (see pics above). :)

The pigtail is located in the area of the hole, but could require removal of a wire tie. Since the power suppy is an option, most dealers will charge for the installation of it, it is not a quick 15 minute install. :)

Edited by Tharkun#409, 28 July 2009 - 10:16 AM.

#14 NHPhantom

NHPhantom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

Strange the hole is pre-drilled, what year is your Spyder ?

Unless someone has found a better way, you will need to remove the Spyder trunk, one reason, to locate the wiring harness with the pigtail, and two, to connect the threaded retaining ring to the plug (see pics above). :)

The pigtail is located in the area of the hole, but could require removal of a wire tie. Since the power suppy is an option, most dealers will charge for the installation of it, it is not a quick 15 minute install. :)

OK, further inspection, shows that I was wrong. I have a phantom 09, so the trunk liner is in place, meaning there is a rigid backer board and a velcro tab that covers the plug area. Now I see thatit is not predrilled, it was the whole in the backer that I perceived to be in the trunk. I felt around and think I found the pigtail, it wraps up and around the upper shock mount on the plug side of the trunk. It almost seems like one could do this without removal of the trunk, but maybe not......

Is this where you found the pigtail?

#15 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:33 AM

OK, further inspection, shows that I was wrong. I have a phantom 09, so the trunk liner is in place, meaning there is a rigid backer board and a velcro tab that covers the plug area. Now I see thatit is not predrilled, it was the whole in the backer that I perceived to be in the trunk. I felt around and think I found the pigtail, it wraps up and around the upper shock mount on the plug side of the trunk. It almost seems like one could do this without removal of the trunk, but maybe not......
Is this where you found the pigtail?

That is the correct area for the pig tail. Wish you luck trying to install/drill with out removing the trunk....the area that needs to have the hole drilled has little tolerance, doe not take much of an error in drilling to really cause an issue with the plug fitting. :)

Also I have seen several owners that have paid for the dealer install, the installer did not do it correctly with the liner and the cap cover was behind the liner, that is opposite as how it should be. :o

#16 NHPhantom

NHPhantom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

That is the correct area for the pig tail. Wish you luck trying to install/drill with out removing the trunk....the area that needs to have the hole drilled has little tolerance, doe not take much of an error in drilling to really cause an issue with the plug fitting. :)

Also I have seen several owners that have paid for the dealer install, the installer did not do it correctly with the liner and the cap cover was behind the liner, that is opposite as how it should be. :o

Thanks for the heads up, I by no means am saying that I will try it without removing the trunk, it was more of a maybe, that I am sure would become a hinesight of "why did I do that".....

#17 Little Ken

Little Ken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Timber Frame, Riding, Traveling, Scuba Diving, camping, fishing, video game, and whatever fun comes to mind!
  • Your Ride:2009 Spyder GS

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:36 PM

Wonder if the outlet is still hot even when the power is off??
Posted Image

45 States visited!

#18 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

Having sold #409 last March, and from memory, the outlet is only powered with the key is on.

#19 Arthur---Mexico City

Arthur---Mexico City

Arthur---Mexico City

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, ham radio, photography, home machine shop
  • Your Ride:HD s/c and Spyder

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:32 PM

From Arthur---Mexico City,
Getting my 12 V outlet plugged in was like impossible when I installed the outlet. I solved the problem making two 4" long extentions using #16 gauge silk covered automotive cable with a male and female spade connector on each end. The spade connectors were crimped on the short cables' ends, not soldered.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users