#1 VisuMAX

VisuMAX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Your Ride:CBR1000RR

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:09 PM

Well, I finally hit 600 miles and got an appointment to take my Spyder in for its first service. I found out that a authorized service center was opened in Durango Colorado - "Fun Center Motorcycles". I live down in Albuquerque NM and so it is a 4 hour drive north. I loaded it up and had it at the dealership a 8 am sharp. I explained all the issues (such as overheating) I have had with the Spyder and specifically brought it up from Albuquerque to have it hooked up to the B.U.D.S. computer. The service department said they would take a look and it would be ready at noon. j

I hung out for 8 hours in Durango and called at noon. The service dept said it was ready, however, they could not get the BUDS computer to talk to the bike. What the f...?!?!? :wall: That was the whole reason I brought it in to a service center! NOW they tell me their BUDS computer is not working. Of course, they could not get a hold of BRP and their Spyder Tech (mine was the first Spyder he or their service dept ever worked on) was clueless as to what was going on with the BUDS system.

There service manager did not charge me the labor for the service - so that reduced some of the sting. He assured me that if anything was wrong with the bike - it would be displaying active fault codes on the dash. mmm.... I can only wonder.

Anyhoo, I got the bike home and back in the garage. The next day I am out to find fluid (Oil) under the oil tank. MMM... ok maybe it is residual from the oil change. I checked the oil level and it was right at the full mark. I jumped on an took it out. Seems to be running fine. Brought it home and parked it. The next day, I walk back out and find....

whatthef.jpg

I called up Durango Fun Center Motorcycles. "First you cannot even ensure your equipment is working correctly and then you cannot even do a 1st service correctly."

Where is BRP's Quality Assurance? :angry: Oh... wait... it is evident they do not have any.

The initial fiasco with this service center cost me 8 hours of my time and 200 bucks. Now I have to go back and fix their screwed up 1st service!

I cannot recommend Durango Fun Center Motorcycles and obviously this reflects badly on BRP. Simply because it is evident that BRP cannot QA those that carry their brand.

#2 Danimal

Danimal

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding<br />Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder # 1977

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:17 AM

What makes you say your Spyder was over-heating?

It will go into Limp mode if it overheats.... if you're not hitting limp mode then you're just running hot... not really overheating...

Sorry you had suck-a$$ service..... that would pizz me off!

Edited by Danimal, 11 August 2008 - 10:18 AM.

#3 VisuMAX

VisuMAX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:44 PM

What makes you say your Spyder was over-heating?

It will go into Limp mode if it overheats.... if you're not hitting limp mode then you're just running hot... not really overheating...

Sorry you had suck-a$$ service..... that would pizz me off!

http://www.can-amtal...?showtopic=5760

#4 sabunim5

sabunim5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Your Ride:91 K100 RS, Silver Spyder #1232

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:53 AM

$200 for a first service with no labor charge? :TgC_emoticon142: The oil, filter washers etc. don't cost that much. Did you get something else? You should be seeing 4 to 5 bars on your temp guage, maybe an occasional 6 bar reading at long stops. That is normal. Higher than that and you will go first into limp mode, followed by shut down if the temp does not come down. Hope you didn't really overheat during the break-in miles. Did you find the source of your oil leak? :TgC_emoticon142: Ryde Safe and Enjoy :thumbs:
sabunim5 :riding:

Edited by sabunim5, 12 August 2008 - 11:54 AM.

Silver PE#1232 All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT

#5 Mike Murphy

Mike Murphy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder PE#3069

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:39 PM

If this was the 1st time the dealer did a service on a Spyder, they most likly did not get all the oil cleaned out of the lower bodywork on the spyder. If you do not take it ALL off then a goodly amount of it will wind up hiding itself in there, to leak out later. My dealer spent a 1/2 hr JUST washing out this oil (mine was NOT the 1st one for them LOL). I did the 2nd myself and learned to remove ALL the lower panels the hard way!

#6 Danimal

Danimal

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding<br />Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder # 1977

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:27 PM

Yupper.... if you don't remove the bottom plate during the oil change then you get oil all over the $%^&*(# place... and it drips for days... but should be easy to tell its the old oil....

#7 bjt

bjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Your Ride:none

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:42 PM

+2 to the REMOVE ALL LOWER PANELS statements. Also, a BRP maintenance tech from Valcourt told me that the number 1 cause of oil leaks after an oil change is failure to replace the crush washers.

#8 threewheels

threewheels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Your Ride:honda st`1300

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:50 AM

Has anyone tried to find crush washers for the oil change at auto parts places? The 2.50$ BRP price seems to be to high. Thanks

#9 Tonga

Tonga

tonga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Miata, Spyder
  • Your Ride:RT Full Moon

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:13 AM

Has anyone tried to find crush washers for the oil change at auto parts places? The 2.50$ BRP price seems to be to high. Thanks

Take the old Crush washers and O-rings to the Auto parts store and you will probably find washers.

#10 5551

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Your Ride:suzuki

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:45 PM

Well, I finally hit 600 miles and got an appointment to take my Spyder in for its first service. I found out that a authorized service center was opened in Durango Colorado - "Fun Center Motorcycles". I live down in Albuquerque NM and so it is a 4 hour drive north. I loaded it up and had it at the dealership a 8 am sharp. I explained all the issues (such as overheating) I have had with the Spyder and specifically brought it up from Albuquerque to have it hooked up to the B.U.D.S. computer. The service department said they would take a look and it would be ready at noon. j

I hung out for 8 hours in Durango and called at noon. The service dept said it was ready, however, they could not get the BUDS computer to talk to the bike. What the f...?!?!? :wall: That was the whole reason I brought it in to a service center! NOW they tell me their BUDS computer is not working. Of course, they could not get a hold of BRP and their Spyder Tech (mine was the first Spyder he or their service dept ever worked on) was clueless as to what was going on with the BUDS system.

There service manager did not charge me the labor for the service - so that reduced some of the sting. He assured me that if anything was wrong with the bike - it would be displaying active fault codes on the dash. mmm.... I can only wonder.

Anyhoo, I got the bike home and back in the garage. The next day I am out to find fluid (Oil) under the oil tank. MMM... ok maybe it is residual from the oil change. I checked the oil level and it was right at the full mark. I jumped on an took it out. Seems to be running fine. Brought it home and parked it. The next day, I walk back out and find....

whatthef.jpg

I called up Durango Fun Center Motorcycles. "First you cannot even ensure your equipment is working correctly and then you cannot even do a 1st service correctly."

Where is BRP's Quality Assurance? :angry: Oh... wait... it is evident they do not have any.

The initial fiasco with this service center cost me 8 hours of my time and 200 bucks. Now I have to go back and fix their screwed up 1st service!

I cannot recommend Durango Fun Center Motorcycles and obviously this reflects badly on BRP. Simply because it is evident that BRP cannot QA those that carry their brand.

Dan,
I understand your frustration with us about the BUDS program not working. We should have checked before you arrived and for that I apologize. We had called for the access code from BRP in July and we were told that it would work for the Spyder line as well as all of the other BRP products we carry. Come to find out they have a separate version for the spyder line and we could not call for a access code on Saturday because they were closed and you were the first one we tried to hook up to their program. We have since corrected the issue and have not had a problem with the computer program since.

The oil leak again was an issue that we should have seen, we apparently did not get all of the old oil out of the lower part of the fairing. We have learned, as stated in this post, to take ALL of the plastic off for an oil change to ensure this does not happen again. Unfortunately you were the one we had to learn on and we should have noticed the excess oil hidden up in the fairing.

We did not charge you labor as you stated and your bill was only $85 dollars for the oil, filter, misc shop supplies and waste oil disposal. This was our way of trying to make up for your inconvience. You arrived at 8:30 am and we had everything done and ready at 12:45 by our records which is only about 4 hours. I wish things would have gone smoother and we have corrected the program issues so it will not happen to anyone else.

#11 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyders

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

That all seems reasonable to me. Thanks for posting and welcome to SpyderTalk.

Dan,
I understand your frustration with us about the BUDS program not working. We should have checked before you arrived and for that I apologize. We had called for the access code from BRP in July and we were told that it would work for the Spyder line as well as all of the other BRP products we carry. Come to find out they have a separate version for the spyder line and we could not call for a access code on Saturday because they were closed and you were the first one we tried to hook up to their program. We have since corrected the issue and have not had a problem with the computer program since.

The oil leak again was an issue that we should have seen, we apparently did not get all of the old oil out of the lower part of the fairing. We have learned, as stated in this post, to take ALL of the plastic off for an oil change to ensure this does not happen again. Unfortunately you were the one we had to learn on and we should have noticed the excess oil hidden up in the fairing.

We did not charge you labor as you stated and your bill was only $85 dollars for the oil, filter, misc shop supplies and waste oil disposal. This was our way of trying to make up for your inconvience. You arrived at 8:30 am and we had everything done and ready at 12:45 by our records which is only about 4 hours. I wish things would have gone smoother and we have corrected the program issues so it will not happen to anyone else.

Riding a Spyder puts a smile on my face

#12 VisuMAX

VisuMAX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:48 PM

Dan,

Yes - 4 hours in the shop + 4 hours up + 4 hours back = I ment 16 hours not 8.

Lets be perfectly clear - The oil leak was a result of the drain bolt not being properly torqued. There was no oil caught in the fairing. After, I bought a new crush washer and replaced the one you installed and torqued the drain bolt properly- the leak stopped.

So, on top of the 130.00 for my trailer rental + the gas + the 85.00 for the labor + my time + more of my time to replace the crush washer + the cost of the crush washer + the additional oil I had to buy..... it adds up. This was a very expensive oil change. Hind site being 20 / 20, for the service I got - I could have stayed home and done it myself and saved a large amount of money. :wall:

Edited by VisuMAX, 02 September 2008 - 11:52 PM.

#13 Back-to-doo

Back-to-doo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Your Ride:Goldwing GL1800

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:55 PM

Welcome and thanks for a reply! Nice to see dealers on forums like this. IMHO your reply says alot about the way you run a business. Like Marc stated that sounds reasonable, while unfortunate for Visumax as not every problem can be forseen when a business is trying to troubleshoot or work on a new item. (one of the draw-backs of owning first year models) Over the years I have bought many first year models and some have been very pleasent while others have been trying at best. Overall I think BRP did a nice job on the Spyder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users