Tonga

tonga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Miata, Spyder
  • Your Ride:RT Full Moon

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:09 AM

OK Guys. I haven't done it yet but I was just looking at the Spyder and what has to come off beside the easy side panel that comes off to check the oil. The filter I can see and the resevuoir bolt is visible but the engine drain bolt is hidden. It also looks like the lower side panel might have to come off to get the filter out. Anyone done it yet?

#2 Spydeire

Spydeire

Spydeire #641

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder #641

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:58 AM

OK Guys. I haven't done it yet but I was just looking at the Spyder and what has to come off beside the easy side panel that comes off to check the oil. The filter I can see and the resevuoir bolt is visible but the engine drain bolt is hidden. It also looks like the lower side panel might have to come off to get the filter out. Anyone done it yet?

Late reply !! But the lower side panel has to come off as well as a panel that sits under the oil tank.

PM me with a mail address and I'll mail you a PDF of the oil change instructions from the service manual if you like.

#3 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts
  • Interests:Spyder Rydes and tours.
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder RT-S SE5 & RT 622 Orbital Blue

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

The Spyder owners manual describes the process rather well on pages 78 - 80. This is what it will look like with the panels removed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Putt-Putt

Putt-Putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Your Ride:outlander 800-BMW-Yamaha-suzuki-Can Am Spyder

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the pictures on the oil change.

#5 Tonga

Tonga

tonga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for the pictures on the oil change.

I haven't done my oil change yet but was hoping that one could get the filter off without removing all the panels. Doesn't matter right now because my dealer can't get me any filters because they are on " Back order " go figure, sell bikes without ample supplies. I will be over my 625 miles because of no filter available. Not my dealers fault, just the head office. Someone must have forgotten to order them. BRP must be spending all their energy promoting the Spyder and leaving the Basics to some clerk.

#6 Danimal

Danimal

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding<br />Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder # 1977

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:23 PM

Order some filters from Ken at evoluzione - he has them.

I'm having my first service done soon and will take a filter I got from Ken with me .... just in case!

#7 Tonga

Tonga

tonga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:37 AM

Order some filters from Ken at evoluzione - he has them.

I'm having my first service done soon and will take a filter I got from Ken with me .... just in case!

I'm in Canada and never gave it any thought. When I picked my Spyder up I wanted to take a filter with me but they said they were on order so I just thought I could pick it up later. Hey filters are basic things or at least you would think that. I live 45 minutes away from my dealer and it has been more then 2 weeks so I just thought they would be there. Was I surprised!!! I always stock filters for everything I own and with just getting the Spyder I haven't gotten there yet. Now I will just have to drive it till I get one. It shouldn't do harm but it bugs me, let me tell you !! I could have ordered a case of filters from Ken but thought I should support my local dealer. I was in Florida and could have goten all my acc. at US prices but held off to support my dealer and now I am waiting. I know the backrest was a problem but with a new product launch I now know mistakes were made. How many shops are set up to service the Spyder and I don't mean sending the guys to school, I mean basis like O-rings for filters, Crush washers, and filters not to mention Shims for the Valves. I use to tune bikes and stocked what I needed and I'm just a regular guy not a big Company like BRP. Wouldn't you think they would have reps going dealer to dealer checking on these things. When I couldn't get my filter I also asked for the crush washers and they hadn't been ordered. Glad I asked and I even mentioned the O rings. Hope I get them soon.

#8 Danimal

Danimal

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding<br />Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:48 AM

I bought ring and filters from Ken --- just a few of each to have around in case they don't have them for the first change... and then I'll do the changes after that. I didn't see that he sold the washers or I would have ordered some of those as well.

#9 spyderrider

spyderrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Your Ride:full moon (silver and black) Spyder

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

Like I asked in another post, does anyone know of another oil filter we can use if we can't get a BRP one? There must be some others that fit the bill for the Spyder, I can't see BRP having the only filters in the world for this bike. Maybe a Fram or Purolator or something else.

#10 Danimal

Danimal

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:56 PM

Nope - you're not going to find anything close at your local store or by one of those companies. These filters are unique to the Rotax 990. Similar to those that they use in the Aprilla's . Ken sells both versions and the rings and washers.

www.evoluzione.net

I doubt he gets them from BRP - probably has a supplier connection. For now that is the only place other than a dealer that I am aware of that has them.

#11 Tonga

Tonga

tonga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:47 AM

Nope - you're not going to find anything close at your local store or by one of those companies. These filters are unique to the Rotax 990. Similar to those that they use in the Aprilla's . Ken sells both versions and the rings and washers.

www.evoluzione.net

I doubt he gets them from BRP - probably has a supplier connection. For now that is the only place other than a dealer that I am aware of that has them.

I just went to " Ken's " site and if you think I'm paying $17.00 ( sorry Ken) for an oil filter !!!! forget it. They can't be worth that much. I never priced it here in Canada but while in Florida Chris at Fort Walton Motor Sport told me they were j :huh: ust over $8.00. I buy Mercedes filters on line for $6.54 and they are German made and 3 times the size. Who (BRP) is trying to make a killing here!!

#12 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts
  • Interests:Spyder Rydes and tours.
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder RT-S SE5 & RT 622 Orbital Blue

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:55 AM

I just went to " Ken's " site and if you think I'm paying $17.00 ( sorry Ken) for an oil filter !!!! forget it. They can't be worth that much. I never priced it here in Canada but while in Florida Chris at Fort Walton Motor Sport told me they were j :huh: ust over $8.00. I buy Mercedes filters on line for $6.54 and they are German made and 3 times the size. Who (BRP) is trying to make a killing here!!

If you can purchase them from Florida at $8, could be a good plan to order a case of them. That is the lowest price I have seen posted. :thumbs:

#13 Putt-Putt

Putt-Putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:45 AM

Sport Motors in Chippewa Falls Wis. Sells them for $14.95
1-800-310-0451 Thats what I was told.

#14 Danimal

Danimal

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:34 AM

So you're going to go to tons of trouble to save $5-$10 on something you change 3-4 times a year?

AND take the chance of using something that isn't up to BRP standards?

$17 bucks for something that will protect your engine for 3,000 miles doesn't seem bad to me.

That is only .005666 per mile !

#15 spyderrider

spyderrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Your Ride:full moon (silver and black) Spyder

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:14 PM

It's not just a matter of cost it's a matter of the dealers not having them in stock. My closest dealer is 300 miles away so I can't just drop in and pick one up and he doesn't have any, on back order. So even if he said they were free it doesn't do me any good if he doesn't have them so an alternate source would be great. And there is nothing wrong with a little competition in the market place, BRP has a monopoly on something right now. I'm willing to bet if Fram or Purolator or someone else started making these filters available the price of the BRP filters would soon come down. When a company has you by the gonads they can squeeze as hard as they like and unless you are going to park the bike you'll pay.

#16 Danimal

Danimal

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:35 PM

I understand..... but you could have ordered some from Ken last week when you posted this and had them later this week....... ;=)

I would contact BRP directly .. because your dealer *should* have these things in stock!

#17 Putt-Putt

Putt-Putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

So you're going to go to tons of trouble to save $5-$10 on something you change 3-4 times a year?

AND take the chance of using something that isn't up to BRP standards?

$17 bucks for something that will protect your engine for 3,000 miles doesn't seem bad to me.

That is only .005666 per mile !

Sport Motors is a Spyder dealer.

#18 Danimal

Danimal

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

I wouldn't believe the $8.00 price until you have them in-hand.....

#19 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyders

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

Bump

Riding a Spyder puts a smile on my face

#20 rongon

rongon

Lone Wolf/Wolf Spyder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Retired so my interests now are Touring/Riding, fishing, traveling, woodworking. I like being by myself a "Lone Wolf"
  • Your Ride:2009 Spyder SE5 Silver/Black "Wolf Spyder", 2007 HD Dyna Wide Glide(Gave to my Son), 2004 Dodge Cummins 3500 4x4 Quad Cab, Bladez XTR SE Electric Scooter.

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:42 PM

The following website has the syder oil filter for $11.99

http://www.monsterma...ing4a35366.html
http://www.parkeryam...?MMP=1015117458

Spyder Oil Filter Rotax 990
Your Price: $11.99 at Parker Yamaha, SeaDoo, Polaris & Honda

You can purchase at the websites listed above shiping charge from Parker Yamaha to Albuquerque, NM for 10 filters is only $12.21, that if someone wants to order 10 at a time, shipping for just one is about $9 buck.

Ebay has them for US $13.49 and US $5.95 shipping so there's filter out there.

Ron

2009 SE5 Silver/Black Spyder "Wolf Spyder". BRP 1" Handle Bar Riser, Back Rest/Sport Rack, Comfort Seat, Hindle Exhaust, R-35 Rigid Saddle Bags & Silver Panels, Side Panel Guards, Street Magic Highway Brackets, Küryakyn Longhorn Clevis (#8016) & Pilot Mini Pegs (#4430), Trunk Spring, Vista Throttle Lock, 25" Ultra Touring Windshield & Side Deflectors & Custom made decals "Wolf Spyder" one on windshield & on rear fender. "Live & love like today is your last day on earth because who knows what tomorrow will bring"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users