Photo
- - - - -

Spyder gas mileage?

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

Poll: Spyder gas mileage? (301 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your average gas mileage?

1. 21-25 (19 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

2. 26-30 (119 votes [39.14%])

Percentage of vote: 39.14%

3. 31-35 (139 votes [45.72%])

Percentage of vote: 45.72%

4. 36-40 (20 votes [6.58%])

Percentage of vote: 6.58%

5. 41+ (7 votes [2.30%])

Percentage of vote: 2.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Putt-Putt

Putt-Putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Your Ride:outlander 800-BMW-Yamaha-suzuki-Can Am Spyder

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

Agreed. I'm almost embarrassed to answer "I'm getting 28-30mpg" when my wife's Civic is getting 34. Sure, the Spyder is faster, but it's also less than a quarter the weight. Even my 1200cc BMWs are getting around 50mpg.

Kinda the same here every time they ask. My BMW gets 50 mpg riding double and thats at 75 mph. loaded for trips. My wife's 1100 Virago gets 48mpg.
I noticed though that the spyder seems to be a lot more effected by the wind than our bikes. You get blown around a lot more. Sometimes you can just feel it trying to push you backwards. Got to be the frontal area is bigger or less arrow dynamic.

#62 sikhspyder

sikhspyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Your Ride:K1200RS & Spyder ( June 15th)

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

I am late in this topic BUT someones actually getting 41mpg. Seems he/she must be either going downhill or traveling at 35mph.
The spyder is a guzzler but I bought it for a fun ride. Those that are having difficulty probably never thought of gas mileage b4 buying.........sell it. :wall:

#63 spygirlME

spygirlME

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Silver Spyder #3431

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:11 PM

I am getting anywhere from 40 - 45 mpg - also I have noticed it runs much better on super......breakin period for me seems to be about 3800 miles - now that I am over 4k much better gas mileage

#64 Danimal

Danimal

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding<br />Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder # 1977

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:50 PM

Sorry... but anyone getting 40+ is either riding in a very tame manner.... or isn't getting the math quite right.... maybe rounding up a bit.... :D

This beast just can't get great MPG.

Most of us have found premium gas to run much worse... and Spyder doesn't require the extra octane..... in fact since premium gas sits in the ground much longer than regular does it will most likely have more water in it... and the longer it sits the more octane it loses.

Someone did a very specific test out here running regular and super.... drained the tank dry and changed back and forth and the Spyder ran like crap with the super....

#65 SpyderOwner

SpyderOwner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

I'm getting right at 31 so far.

My dealer insists they are getting 41 on their Demo Spyder, but I don't know how that is possible.

#66 Putt-Putt

Putt-Putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:29 PM

I am getting anywhere from 40 - 45 mpg - also I have noticed it runs much better on super......breakin period for me seems to be about 3800 miles - now that I am over 4k much better gas mileage

What brand gas are you using? How fast do you ride? What part of the country are you living in? Is your machine completely stock or what? Just trying to figure out how you get such good gas mileage. :TgC_emoticon142: I got 4,700 plus miles on mine, and babying it going only 50mph I did hit 41 mpg once and 38 mpg once with almost no wind blowing. But that certainly is not the norm. I'm usually around 33 to 35 , and thats 65 mph or less.

Edited by Putt-Putt, 22 July 2008 - 05:31 PM.

#67 smokster

smokster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:Taking long walks on the beach :)
  • Your Ride:spyder

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

What brand gas are you using? How fast do you ride? What part of the country are you living in? Is your machine completely stock or what? Just trying to figure out how you get such good gas mileage. :TgC_emoticon142: I got 4,700 plus miles on mine, and babying it going only 50mph I did hit 41 mpg once and 38 mpg once with almost no wind blowing. But that certainly is not the norm. I'm usually around 33 to 35 , and thats 65 mph or less.

I just got 24 mpg with 2 up for 90 miles mostly open roads, the rest one up and city.
133 mile on 5.54 gallons
No we are not chunky monkeys 198/117 lbs, ok, maybe one of us can eat one less banana :)
This is ugly

Do not believe this for a minute.
Is it all down hill?

Edited by smokster, 22 July 2008 - 07:16 PM.

#68 Danimal

Danimal

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding<br />Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:42 AM

Probably just some bad math.....

Statistics show that 5 out of 4 people are bad with fractions..... :D

#69 Director

Director

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • Your Ride:2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:50 AM

Probably just some bad math.....

Statistics show that 5 out of 4 people are bad with fractions..... :D

And did you know that 87.3% of statistics are just made up on the spot? :lol:
<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--> <!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->Bruce Brown
London, Ontario, Canada
Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

#70 smokster

smokster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:19 AM

And did you know that 87.3% of statistics are just made up on the spot? :lol:

Depends on the spot..that reminds me of a dog named Spot or was it Stain?

#71 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts
  • Interests:Spyder Rydes and tours.
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder RT-S SE5 & RT 622 Orbital Blue

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:19 PM

Just my opinion but to determine the average gas mileage on a Spyder, it needs to be calculated over more than a few tanks. On the trip north with all types of driving conditions (freeway,city,mountains) with a total of 2,424 miles traveled, Spydie did 34.2mpg. On the trip north on I-5 from here to Seattle/Everett, 910 miles, Spydie did 37.1 mpg.

The MPG per tank for the entire trip varied from like 27mpg to as high as 39 mpg, but this is just my experience so take it for what it may be worth. :)

#72 Danimal

Danimal

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:23 PM

On the trip north on I-5 from here to Seattle/Everett, 910 miles, Spydie did 37.1 mpg.

That is pretty amazing considering you were driving North... which is uphill ! :D

#73 smokster

smokster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:24 PM

Just my opinion but to determine the average gas mileage on a Spyder, it needs to be calculated over more than a few tanks. On the trip north with all types of driving conditions (freeway,city,mountains) with a total of 2,424 miles traveled, Spydie did 34.2mpg. On the trip north on I-5 from here to Seattle/Everett, 910 miles, Spydie did 37.1 mpg.

The MPG per tank for the entire trip varied from like 27mpg to as high as 39 mpg, but this is just my experience so take it for what it may be worth. :)

It is worth alot, certainly not 40+ though
I have gotten 38 on the fwy before, the city kills the mpg

#74 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts
  • Interests:Spyder Rydes and tours.
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder RT-S SE5 & RT 622 Orbital Blue

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:36 PM

I'm trying to find time before taking off on the trip to take Spydie down to the local public scales. Would like to see the what the weight is with the Corbin products, I have a theory, but to soon to state as a fact ......... the Corbin fairing & saddle bags has actually increased the MPG more than diminished it. :riding:

UPDATE
Just used a state certified scales, Spydie weighs in at 900 lbs wet, nothing in trunk/saddlebags.

Edited by Tharkun#409, 23 July 2008 - 03:09 PM.

#75 sikhspyder

sikhspyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:53 PM

I must admit that I ride with heavy lead feet and am averaging around 26-30 mpg mostly in town. Hindle exhaust, Kens air filter did not do much for MPG but sure goes a lot quicker.

Have noticed a slight erratic idle that goes between 800-1000 rpm when I am standing. have changed to aftermarket HIDs and Leds on bike. Any opinion will be appreciated.

Could it be due to the change to HINDLE ???

Dave

#76 Danimal

Danimal

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

Are you sure about that idle being 800-1000 ???

Typically they run around 1450-1550 at idle.....

#77 Putt-Putt

Putt-Putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:17 PM

I must admit that I ride with heavy lead feet and am averaging around 26-30 mpg mostly in town. Hindle exhaust, Kens air filter did not do much for MPG but sure goes a lot quicker.
Have noticed a slight erratic idle that goes between 800-1000 rpm when I am standing. have changed to aftermarket HIDs and Leds on bike. Any opinion will be appreciated.

Could it be due to the change to HINDLE ???

Dave

What did you use Leds for tail lights running lights or what?

#78 sikhspyder

sikhspyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

What did you use Leds for tail lights running lights or what?

Yes my idle use to be stable at 1000 but since I changed to Hindle they are going down and up between 800 to 1000, needle goes down and up and so does the sound from exhaust.

I am using LEDS for cosmetic purposes only. Have the signals but for some reason the Spyders computer goes into lame when I tried using them.

Do I need to remap comp from dealer!!
thanks again
Dave

#79 Putt-Putt

Putt-Putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:14 PM

I wanted to use LED's also, but I heard that the spyder computer will not let you use them. I just thought you maybe came up with a way to use them.

#80 sabunim5

sabunim5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Your Ride:91 K100 RS, Silver Spyder #1232

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:50 PM

You can add LED's to the existing load but you can't substitute the LED's for existing lights. That is, unless you also add something that fool's the computer into seeing an eqal or greater load than was originally on the circuit. Lower Load = Limp Mode. Equal or Greater Load is OK. :thumbs:
sabunim5 :riding:
Silver PE#1232 All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users