Photo
- - - - -

Spyder gas mileage?

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

Poll: Spyder gas mileage? (301 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your average gas mileage?

1. 21-25 (19 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

2. 26-30 (119 votes [39.14%])

Percentage of vote: 39.14%

3. 31-35 (139 votes [45.72%])

Percentage of vote: 45.72%

4. 36-40 (20 votes [6.58%])

Percentage of vote: 6.58%

5. 41+ (7 votes [2.30%])

Percentage of vote: 2.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyders

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:08 AM

Curious what owners are experiencing.

Riding a Spyder puts a smile on my face

#2 ProviderEx

ProviderEx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Can-Am Spyder, 1990 CRX Si-II, 2009 Scion Xb, 1972 International Harvester TravelAll 1210

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:01 PM

this machine like to drink. good lord does it drink. lol
"Can-I? Can-You? Can-Am!"

#3 flyjake

flyjake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder #3533 Silver

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:25 PM

this machine like to drink. good lord does it drink. lol

You didn't REALLY buy this machine for it's fuel economy, did you? MY VTX 1300 gets 45-50 mpg, same weight, but quite a lot less hp... and it doesn't do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds either. The expected gas mileage for the Spyder should not be of real concern, (unless there is a major discrepancy due, perhaps, to a mechanical problem.) I too, however, like to know what I should expect for the average mileage.

#4 dltang

dltang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder #2518

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:57 PM

Actually my husband and I did buy our Spyder's partially for the mpg. We plan on using these as our primary vehicles at least 6 months out of the year. Longer if the weather cooperates. The best our cars get is 20mpg in town and 28-30 on the highway. So we were hoping for a little better than what we are hearing but with careful driving we should still do better than what we are driving now. Yes we could have gotten a couple of bikes and gotten even better mileage but these are safer than two wheels and more visible. Don't get me wrong, we plan on having fun and enjoying the toy aspect as well just not exclusively.
With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.

It was Silver and it's mine IPB ImageNow it is Candy Apple RedIPB Imageand it's still mine!

#5 flyjake

flyjake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder #3533 Silver

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:04 PM

Actually my husband and I did buy our Spyder's partially for the mpg. We plan on using these as our primary vehicles at least 6 months out of the year. Longer if the weather cooperates. The best our cars get is 20mpg in town and 28-30 on the highway. So we were hoping for a little better than what we are hearing but with careful driving we should still do better than what we are driving now. Yes we could have gotten a couple of bikes and gotten even better mileage but these are safer than two wheels and more visible. Don't get me wrong, we plan on having fun and enjoying the toy aspect as well just not exclusively.

I understand completely. I bought the Spyder because of the anticipated enjoyment, and the safety aspect as well. I will use it to commute as often as I can to the school where I teach. Although my car, a Honda Fit, actually gets better gas mileage (38-40 mpg), I won't mind spending a few extra dollars for a much more enjoyable commute!

#6 Tavert

Tavert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder PE #1095

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:24 AM

I still haven't emptied my first tank since I first filled it, but it sounds like I'll be getting at least double, maybe triple what my Trans Am gets. And the Spyder's much cooler, more fun, and not falling apart...

#7 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

I still haven't emptied my first tank since I first filled it, but it sounds like I'll be getting at least double, maybe triple what my Trans Am gets. And the Spyder's much cooler, more fun, and not falling apart...

I see you like vehicles that end in Am :P

#8 Putt-Putt

Putt-Putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Your Ride:outlander 800-BMW-Yamaha-suzuki-Can Am Spyder

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:03 PM

First I believe it was you MARC that posted this site. THANKS!-- THANKS ! And dltang DITTO; we will also being doing the same.

#9 ProviderEx

ProviderEx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Can-Am Spyder, 1990 CRX Si-II, 2009 Scion Xb, 1972 International Harvester TravelAll 1210

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:47 PM

You didn't REALLY buy this machine for it's fuel economy, did you? MY VTX 1300 gets 45-50 mpg, same weight, but quite a lot less hp... and it doesn't do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds either. The expected gas mileage for the Spyder should not be of real concern, (unless there is a major discrepancy due, perhaps, to a mechanical problem.) I too, however, like to know what I should expect for the average mileage.

definitely did not buy it for economy, but I sure as hell didn't anticipate to pull over every 150 miles to fill up.
hell driving in the city I have yet to get better than 30miles a gallon. lol

i mean my freaking Honda gets 39.7 miles per gallon and it weighs far more (1,987lbs) and it puts out 186 horses with 440 injectors on 106 fuel

this machine just out right is not good on gas. lol only has a 5 gallon tank (i don't care what t he book says)
and at best it gets 35 on the highway and far worse in the city. for a machine that runs of a 998 motor with only 700 pounds of weight, is just not right. lol

#10 Putt-Putt

Putt-Putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

My Subaru weighs over 3,000 lbs full time 4-wheel dr. 165hp. And averages 29mpg. Sometimes as high as 32 mpg. So I know what you are saying.

#11 mrfix

mrfix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Your Ride:spyder #706

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:30 PM

My excursion gets 10 mpg on a good day going down hill, I think the spyder is a real economy machine.

#12 ProviderEx

ProviderEx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:39 PM

My excursion gets 10 mpg on a good day going down hill, I think the spyder is a real economy machine.

for you anything is good. lol
compared to 10 mpg a corvett is economy so is a suberban. lol

#13 Ryno

Ryno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Your Ride:Silver #1077

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:11 AM

all my riding buddies thought itwas impossible to get less than 40-45 MPG on it as they get 55-60 on thier bikes, even my buds goldwing, (very close in weight) and has the 1800 engine, gets better mpg than I do..

My conversion van gets 11 though, so Ill be driving the spyder everywhere.
SEE HOW I WAS RIPPED OFF BY JACKSONVILLE POWERSPORTS

Please do not make the same mistake I did!!!

#14 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:40 AM

Guess it's safe to say everyone is getting between 26 and 35, with most getting over 30.

#15 kzhawk

kzhawk

Advanced Member

• SPYDER NATION
  • 98 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Spyder (Yellow)

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:54 AM

Guess it's safe to say everyone is getting between 26 and 35, with most getting over 30.

Here is an option for those concerned with the gas mileage :-)

http://editorial.aut...p...1&GT1=10867

Even the delivery schedule is much more optimistic than the Spyder delivery of "we will ship you one when we darn feel like it" or "you may get one or you may not" :-)

#16 bmwgene

bmwgene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Your Ride:BMW R1150RT and a moon silver Spyder

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

for you anything is good. lol
compared to 10 mpg a corvett is economy so is a suberban. lol

OH NO
Your right I have a year old C6 Vett and it only gets 26MPG on the highway.
We will not talk about city MPG in stop and go fast traffic.

#17 ProviderEx

ProviderEx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

OH NO
Your right I have a year old C6 Vett and it only gets 26MPG on the highway.
We will not talk about city MPG in stop and go fast traffic.

LOL. see. you are good to go. you got a Economy machine here. lol

I am trying to brake it down per bars according to my driving.
not counting th top little bars. we got a good solid few bars there.

a few questions i got for the people that have looked at the tank in dept.
how many gallon(s) is one bar?
how would I go about finding this out?
how many miles per bar do you get?
how can I measure mine?

I would brake it down to simple by dividing the total gallons in to the main bars, but seeing as the gas tank doesn't hold any Accurate amount. I need a bit of averaging here.

I thought of these as i was on a long drive.
I was down to the last 3 bars and I was figuring 20 miles per bar at a constant speed of 85.

nope. that didn't work. so that got me thinking.
if I am on a highway and see 30 miles to the next station, how many bars would I need to have to be able to risk skipping a sign.

I say this because I ride with allot of sport bikes that get way better gas mileage than me.

#18 Danimal

Danimal

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding<br />Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder # 1977

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:14 PM

How about a selection of "Don't know, Don't care" for those that bought this thing for fun instead of a large moped?? :lol:

#19 Putt-Putt

Putt-Putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:03 PM

I bought it for TOURING. And believe it or not there are places were gas is not available for long distances. My old BMW save my but just last year because of this. And it's got a 7.2 gallon tank & gets 48 to 50 mpg. average. riding double at 70mph; with saddle bags & back box loaded. And I believe the Spyder is classified as Sport Touring, same as my BMW. So to go where i was last year I would have to carry a spare tank along. So on a 6 thousand mile trip I don't think a large moped would do. :P

Edited by Putt-Putt, 14 April 2008 - 01:04 PM.

#20 Danimal

Danimal

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding<br />Micro-Breweries<br />Spyder Ryding
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder # 1977

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

But you *could* strap a moped on the front of the Spyder and then use that to go get gas when your Spyder runs out ! :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users