#1 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts
  • Interests:Spyder Rydes and tours.
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder RT-S SE5 & RT 622 Orbital Blue

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

After having several inquiries about the seat cowl, decided to post some pics and my opinion of it. The cowl has been on
Spydie for over 500 miles now, and I have had a lot of good comments about the design of it. I'm happy with it and have no
plans for not using it. When the sun returns I'll update the pics with better quality. :)

As with first productions the seat cowl does have a few issues, and I have filed a warranty claim and will explain with text and pics below.

Part # 219400079/Yellow
Part # 219400080/Full Moon
MSRP $ 199.99

Posted Image
Posted Image

The cowl is attached to the seat using two long and two short bungie like cords. Each cord has "round ball" like ends.
My cowl had the cords attached incorrectly, the longer two cords need to be installed towards the front of Spydie. Hooking
the cords to the bottom of the seat can be a bit of a trail on ones patience. I had good luck with using a pair of needle nose
pliers that have a 90 degree bend on the end of them. Using the pliers it was easier to push the cord end into the slot, see
pic below. Installing the cowl does get a bit easier after one has done it a few times, but if one plans on removing the cowl
frequently, then perhaps this cowl is not for you. :)

Posted Image

One of the issues with the cowl is that in time it will mar the paint on the rear tip, see pic. Knowing this I could have
solved that issue with a couple of small rubber adhesive pads.
Posted Image

The other issue I have with the cowl is the points where the rear cords attach to the cowl, there is a "dimple" on each
side that shows in the finish when in sun light, or once you where know to look for them. As I stated, I'll get better pics soon so it
shows up better.
Posted Image

Posted Image

So for now I'll live with the issues, and hopefully they will be resolved by BRP. So this is my good/bad issues with the existing cowl.
For me the issues are not enough of a problem to give up the looks of the cowl on Spydie, you may not agree which is fine. :)

#2 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyders

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

Good post, thanks. If you get a chance, can you post a side picture of the entire Spyder with the Cowl on?

Riding a Spyder puts a smile on my face

#3 B1TTEN #509

B1TTEN #509

Inadvance Member

• SPYDER NATION
  • 1,744 posts
  • Your Ride:The Best Ride Ever

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

Good post, thanks. If you get a chance, can you post a side picture of the entire Spyder with the Cowl on?

You know marc he did, and to be perfectly honest, i did not notice seat cowl or not. I have had that problem on other pictures, not readily noticing seat cowls.

http://www.can-amtal...?showtopic=2794

#4 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

No problem I'll get a better close up of Spydie with cowl. I had left Spydie outside after taking the pics, and making the post. I just spent 20 minutes drying him off as it decided to rain......first time he has been wet and he is really confused. :D

#5 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyders

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:15 PM

You know marc he did, and to be perfectly honest, i did not notice seat cowl or not. I have had that problem on other pictures, not readily noticing seat cowls.

http://www.can-amtal...?showtopic=2794

Dang, I totally missed that :P Now I see it :D

Riding a Spyder puts a smile on my face

#6 Y - FCTR

Y - FCTR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Your Ride:Suziki Boulevard C90; #2438 - Yellow 2008 Spyder

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:28 PM

I noticed it right off, especially sitting beside a Spyder that does not have one. Thanks for the input....I will probably not get one due to the fact I need the bag space. I do prefer the look of it though.

#7 Lucky513

Lucky513

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Exotic Cars, Motorcycles, Scuba Diving, Aviation, Working out
  • Your Ride:Can-am Spyder #513, Street Glide, Aprilia Tuono

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:11 AM

Thank you for the post and especially the pictures. It looks sharp! :thumbs:

Does the cowl pose a problem when it comes to fueling?
Lucky513

#8 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:18 AM

Thank you for the post and especially the pictures. It looks sharp! :thumbs:

Does the cowl pose a problem when it comes to fueling?

Since the cowl is attached to the seat, it has no impact on raising the seat for fueling or checking the brake fluid levels. :)

#9 mrfix

mrfix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Your Ride:spyder #706

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:23 PM

Since the cowl is attached to the seat, it has no impact on raising the seat for fueling or checking the brake fluid levels. :)

Tharkun
Have you removed the cowel? Does it mark or damage the seat at all? I picked mine up yesterday and I am concerned about damaging the custom seat cover by installing it.

#10 hevnbound

hevnbound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Your Ride:Yellow Spyder #38

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

Tharkun
Have you removed the cowel? Does it mark or damage the seat at all? I picked mine up yesterday and I am concerned about damaging the custom seat cover by installing it.

Mine was installed by the dealer. I wish I had watched. I cannot get the thing off!?! I guess I'm going to haveto remove the seat entirely to remove the Cowl. Any ideas?

#11 Spyderman684

Spyderman684

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder # 684

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:23 PM

Mine was installed by the dealer. I wish I had watched. I cannot get the thing off!?! I guess I'm going to haveto remove the seat entirely to remove the Cowl. Any ideas?

Lift up slightly on one side of the cowl. Use your fingers to follow the rubber cord under the cowl. As you do this, you'll find the spot where the band is clipped into the cowl. It's simply a matter of reaching behind the clip and rolling the ball at the end of the band towards the rear of the bike. It's sounds funny, but once it's been done on all four bands, you'll see how it works. It gets real easy after you do it a few times. I do it when the temp is -5 Celcius, and there's not much stretch to the band. I have a cut or two on each hand from my learning experiences. Now, it's simple, on or off.
Mark
Mark
Mark (Spyderman) Adams
Grey Spyder #684
Vancouver Island Spyder Ryders

#12 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

You do not need to remove the seat. :) As I mentioned in my post, I have good luck using a pair of needle nose pliers.
You need to pull the cord out of the slot and into the round area before you will be able to remove the cord. Release the
front ones first, once both are removed, the rear ones are easier to remove.

Posted Image

Tharkun

So far I have not had the cowl do any damage to the seat. But please see the pic in my post above, it can mar the paint on the rear tail piece, so put some sort of protection on it or the edge of the cowl in that area. :thumbs:

#13 Charles

Charles

quantumleap

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 premier spyder #148

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

Thank you for the pics, I did purchase the yellow seat skin from brp for my spyder, do you believe that the cowl can be attached with the seat skin on it? good to know before I purchase it,

thanks

#14 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

Thank you for the pics, I did purchase the yellow seat skin from brp for my spyder, do you believe that the cowl can be attached with the seat skin on it? good to know before I purchase it,
thanks

My dealer just installed the seat skin and I see no problem, could be a bit more effort to stretch the bungies because of the seat skin, but I see no big problem. If you are not in a rush to pick it up, next time I'm at the shop I'll see if there would be a problem. Was just there this morning, but should be back over within a week or so.

#15 majinbusa

majinbusa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Your Ride:03 blk and Silver Busa,04 Harley Sportster,Blk and Silver Spyder

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

If you have the adjustable backrest ?is it gonna be hard togo from 2up to solo seat with the cowl cover?I'm still waiting for my spyder so i don't even have any idea on how the backrest attached.

#16 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:03 AM

If you have the adjustable backrest ?is it gonna be hard togo from 2up to solo seat with the cowl cover?I'm still waiting for my spyder so i don't even have any idea on how the backrest attached.

I have not had a look at the backrest or the rear sport rack and won't till they are available (last date from BRP was Mar). The pic of the rear sport rack it appears to be more of a flat design rather than the current rear tip piece. So I would "guess" that the cowl would still be able to be used even with the rear sport rack.

If you check out the link below, you will have an idea as to the looks and how the backrest attaches to the sport rack. Hope this helps some. :)

Spyder

Choose Gear & Accessories then Accessories next Rear Sport Rack finally check View 2 for pic of it connected to the sport rack.

#17 Charles

Charles

quantumleap

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 premier spyder #148

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:07 PM

My dealer just installed the seat skin and I see no problem, could be a bit more effort to stretch the bungies because of the seat skin, but I see no big problem. If you are not in a rush to pick it up, next time I'm at the shop I'll see if there would be a problem. Was just there this morning, but should be back over within a week or so.

Thanks Tharkun,,, I am heading to the dealer probably tomorrow at lunch to pick up the new brake caps (sooo not getting into that here), I am gona pick up the cowl, and maybe the touring windscreen. They talked about foglights, but, for 400,,,,, that is steep with no gain from what I have heard on the board. I will purchase a set of fog/driving lamps and mount them down low on the body of the spyder on a warm day.

My goal is to have it all modified BEFORE it comes out of hybernation in april :thumbs: :beerchug1:

#18 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:11 PM

Thanks Tharkun,,, I am heading to the dealer probably tomorrow at lunch to pick up the new brake caps (sooo not getting into that here), I am gona pick up the cowl, and maybe the touring windscreen. They talked about foglights, but, for 400,,,,, that is steep with no gain from what I have heard on the board. I will purchase a set of fog/driving lamps and mount them down low on the body of the spyder on a warm day.

My goal is to have it all modified BEFORE it comes out of hybernation in april :thumbs: :beerchug1:

Hope you are happy with the cowl and it works well for you. :thumbs:

#19 Since76

Since76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Your Ride:Goldwing

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:54 AM

The mono seat cover is a real pain to get on and off. I will buy the pliers and give it a try. I beleive the BRP site says easy on easy off. I have another post asking what they were smoking when they wrote that. Fortunately, I read a post prior to getting the bike in March about maring the back fender. I bought a piece of vacuum hose at the auto store, slit if and put it on the back where it could mar the fender. Looks nice. I will glue it on the next time I take the cover off if ever. I hope BRP comes up with a better way to put this on/off and be retrofitted for existing owners. If you are going to take it off and on frequently, I recommend not buying it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users