• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Tarantula

Tarantula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder #186, Yamaha GTS 1000, Yamaha FJR 1300, Kawasaki Drifter 1500

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

I was just wondering.....I've heard so much talk about the 110MPH speed limiters on the Can Am Spyder. Now that my machine is fully broken in, I decided to see how fast it could go on the freeway. I saw 110MPG roll by, then 112, 114, 116, 118 and finally at 120MPH I decided there was no speed limiter on my spyder. YEAH! Im happy about that. I still wish it had 6 forward speeds though....maybe seven? Anybody else do over 110MPH yet?
TARANTULA

#2 smokster

smokster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:Taking long walks on the beach :)
  • Your Ride:spyder

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:37 PM

I was just wondering.....I've heard so much talk about the 110MPH speed limiters on the Can Am Spyder. Now that my machine is fully broken in, I decided to see how fast it could go on the freeway. I saw 110MPG roll by, then 112, 114, 116, 118 and finally at 120MPH I decided there was no speed limiter on my spyder. YEAH! Im happy about that. I still wish it had 6 forward speeds though....maybe seven? Anybody else do over 110MPH yet?

How did it run at 120 mph

#3 evoluzione

evoluzione

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 911 posts
  • Your Ride:can-am spyder - stage 4 (1060) engine, penske suspension

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:06 PM

.... I saw 110MPG roll by...

forget the 120 miles per hour, i want to know about the 110 miles per gallon!!!!!!! :D
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports

#4 billybob

billybob

Advanced Member

• SPYDER NATION
  • 1,099 posts
  • Location:Mantoloking NJ,Southhampton LI. New York, - Sanibel island,Florida
  • Interests:traveling
  • Your Ride:outlander max/xt/800/ spyder/gs # 2508full moon .2010/ spyder rt-s #0002 timless black / rt 622 trailer. 2010 harley fat boy lo denim black

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:17 PM

forget the 120 miles per hour, i want to know about the 110 miles per gallon!!!!!!! :D

wow 110 mpg i knew i ordered the right machine. ken you need to have him set up your bikes> just joking with all have a great holiday
I TRULY AM A LUCKY MAN

"OH! LET THE SUN BEAT DOWN UPON MY FACE , STARS FILL MY DREAMS , I AM THE TRAVELER OF ALL TIME AND SPACE TO BE WHERE I HAVE BEEN". Robert Plant - Kashmir

I'm in a New York state of mind ,mmmm , AGAIN AFTER 30 FRIGGIN YRS OF BEING GONE !!!! OMG *%@

#5 Tarantula

Tarantula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder #186, Yamaha GTS 1000, Yamaha FJR 1300, Kawasaki Drifter 1500

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:51 PM

I was so excited when I wrote this "topic" that I wrote MPG instead of MPH....OOPS!!! LOL! But you all know what I meant right? ;)

How did it run at 120 mph

120 MPG oops I mean 120 MPH was a short burst of speed, nothing sustained....but I have to say the Spyder felt stable and well controlled.
TARANTULA

#6 MRG#297

MRG#297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Can-am Spyder, 2008 Victory Vision, 2008 Harley-Davidson Street Glide, 2007 Yamaha FJR1300

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

I have you beat. I sustained 127mph +/- for about a mile before backing off. I found the Spyder just as stable at that speed as it was at 40mph. :riding:

#7 Spyder456

Spyder456

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder / Rune

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

We all know the yellow is faster :D :D :D :D
Norm
Spyder SOLD!!!!

#8 smokster

smokster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:Taking long walks on the beach :)
  • Your Ride:spyder

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:56 AM

I have you beat. I sustained 127mph +/- for about a mile before backing off. I found the Spyder just as stable at that speed as it was at 40mph. :riding:

Thats crazy....
How many rpm's are you at at 127?
Do you think there was more left to go?

#9 ProviderEx

ProviderEx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Can-Am Spyder, 1990 CRX Si-II, 2009 Scion Xb, 1972 International Harvester TravelAll 1210

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

mmmmmmm, spyder at high speeds is amazing. I gotta be honest and say I enjoyed the spyder at 100 just as much as I enjoys a street bike at 140-145
it feels too cool. lol
and I love the wind. oh man oh man. it hits you in the chest almost making it hard to breath. lol love it.
"Can-I? Can-You? Can-Am!"

#10 Spyderman09

Spyderman09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Riding, Boating, Classic cars, Good Looking Women!
  • Your Ride:Spyder Roadster

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:28 AM

Just an FYI....Three weeks ago my friends & I went riding. One of them brought their son with them who had a Suzuki 600 crouch rocket. We ran on Ga. Hwy. 515 while I was walking away from him I glanced at my speedo and it said 141MPH and still climbing I shut it down....Do not need that speeding ticket especially with the Georgia super speeder law or another accident. Yes, the Spyder will run. I have also done a 300 foot burn out with mine. Just an FYI. My Spyder has shocked many with it's performance!

Hey anyone out there done a wheelie with a Spyder???

Edited by Spyderman09, 26 March 2011 - 10:30 AM.

#11 Neez

Neez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Your Ride:yellow '08 SE5

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

Just an FYI....Three weeks ago my friends & I went riding. One of them brought their son with them who had a Suzuki 600 crouch rocket. We ran on Ga. Hwy. 515 while I was walking away from him I glanced at my speedo and it said 141MPH and still climbing I shut it down....Do not need that speeding ticket especially with the Georgia super speeder law or another accident. Yes, the Spyder will run. I have also done a 300 foot burn out with mine. Just an FYI. My Spyder has shocked many with it's performance!

You need to change your speedometer over.You're reading KM/h.

#12 Gruemeyer

Gruemeyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Photography - Firearms - HO and N gauge trains.
  • Your Ride:2010 Blue RS SE-5

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

That's nothing.. My new RS which I've only been able to ride twice has been up to a screaming 66mph.. unless you count me trailering it back from Tn to indy.. had it up to 87mph.. Right now 66 is good for me..

#13 RattiganRoger

RattiganRoger

Old Geezer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Spyder -ing
    Electronics
    Software Dev.
    Alpacas
  • Your Ride:Spyder RT A/C

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

That's nothing.. My new RS which I've only been able to ride twice has been up to a screaming 66mph.. unless you count me trailering it back from Tn to indy.. had it up to 87mph.. Right now 66 is good for me..

Yeah, I agree.

I've hit around 80.
Being an old man who doesn't have the blessings (yet) of complete senility I started thinking about it.
I ran well out of nerve before I ran out of motor.

#14 tdog

tdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Your Ride:2009 can am

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:30 PM

nope,...mines on mph and I had mine up to 140 MPH and had more to go but, had to back off and wait on all my HOG friends....

#15 rrman01

rrman01

Advanced Member

• SPYDER NATION
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:bikes cars family having fun footy fishing twisties and meetin new friends far and wide
  • Your Ride:yellow08 sm5 with mods

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:56 AM

mine had it to 170 yep 170 klm hahahahaso if there is a limiter in them tell me how 2 get rid of it lol
mods tbexhaust,tbjuicebox,knfiltter,spyderwebclutchlever,4inrisers,bkrest,need corbin seat

#16 fifty7

fifty7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:22 PM

First one to say yes is a liar. :P :D

Hit 111 twice, definitely had more to go but ran out of clear road.

#17 Whinney

Whinney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Spyder RT, and Classic Rock and my partner.
  • Your Ride:Spyder RT

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

I so agree with the 6th gear thing. I've only put 400 miles on my new RT and I said the same thing to my husband - it needs a 6th gear. Also, I thought I was doing great when I went 74 MPH and here you went 120 OMG :)

#18 Surfmeister2000

Surfmeister2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Spyder

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:55 AM

The RPM limiter comes at a little bit over 9700.
To hit 141 mph you need a 29 tooth sprocket and a little bit more power than stock.
With the stock sprocket it is impossible to reach 141 mph because you hit the limiter latest at 135-137.

With aprilia mile cams and power comander you can reach the limiter in 5th gear but not possible with the stock engine.
[size=5]I Love curves .....

#19 IWN2RYD

IWN2RYD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 RT-S SE5

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

The RPM limiter is there for a lot of reasons... One being... The suspension on any factory Can Am Spyder is NOT set up for 130+mph driving. You need far stiffer suspension allowing for solid rider input. Not sloppy and unresponsive like the factory suspension is.

Anytime you start talking 110mph or higher, the suspension MUST be worked on for consistent driving at those speeds or one wrong move and the driver is ejected and the bike is destroyed... I think I read a BRP Rep calling it... The Human Dart Effect.

Leave the speed needs on the track, not the roads (Unless legal of course). These are 650-950lbs bikes plus liquids, rider and gear. Yes many of us can go fast in a straight line. Now what about animals, kids, obstructions and the others on the road?

Other than that... The rest is self explanatory. :riding: :beerchug1:
God is first. Everything else is the blessings received...

Blue SpYder #303 RT-S SE5...

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users