11 replies to this topic

#1 Way2Fast

Way2Fast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

I was going to take my Spyder out it's first ride today. I went over it with a fine tooth comb after trailering it home last week. I had one more check to do...the oil level. I started it and let the engine reach operating temperature, shut it down and checked the oil. IT WASN"T EVEN VISABLE ON THE DIP STICK !! I imagine there is some oil in it since the oil light doesn't come on, but from my experience with other vehicles, usually by the time the oil light comes on damage has already been done. I called my dealer and they checked with the tec who supposedly did the PDI. He said the oil was full....what a lie ! The engine coolant was also low. This makes me wonder if the brake recall was even done ?? It's so easy for the tec to just run down the line and check all the boxes without actually doing anything.

After some haggling the dealer agreed to send only a "quart" of oil via UPS. How big of them ! What if it needs more than one quart? I think they should give me a case of oil and a free service. If I drove the Spyder the 70 miles home instead of trailering it they would probably be replacing the engine !! I'm going to call BRP and make a complaint. I'm actually afraid to drive it because the potential brake problem may have been overlooked as well.

Richard

#2 evoluzione

evoluzione

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 911 posts
  • Your Ride:can-am spyder - stage 4 (1060) engine, penske suspension

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:30 PM

keep in mind tha these are dry sump engines with a separate oil tank. it is not uncommon for the check valve to leak a little and allow a lot of oil to drain back into the engine when it is shut off. on the aprilias, there is a sight guage and the proper way to check the oil level is with the motor running.

i'm not saying that your bike isn't low on oil but sometimes it can read low (and it can cause all types of problems if the oil level is too high).
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports

#3 ProviderEx

ProviderEx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Can-Am Spyder, 1990 CRX Si-II, 2009 Scion Xb, 1972 International Harvester TravelAll 1210

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:56 PM

how do you recommend checking the oil Ken?
"Can-I? Can-You? Can-Am!"

#4 Way2Fast

Way2Fast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

Most all 4-stroke personal watercraft have dry sump systems and I have yet to hear about the oil in the sump tank draining back into the engine ??? The Sea-doo 4-tec Rotax engine runs best with the oil level no more than 1/2 way between the add and full mark on the dipstick. Is this a problem specific to the Rotax used in Aprilla bikes?

More things to worry over....guess the only way to know how much oil is actually in the engine would be to drain it and refill with 4 quarts. The filter and tank drain are easy to find, but the drain fitting in the block is not ...the pics in the owners manual don't help much in trying to locate it. There is an allen key bolt that is recessed quite a bit. It is a silver colored bolt rearward of where the filter is. (other bolts are gold colored) Could this be the drain ?

Richard

#5 evoluzione

evoluzione

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:52 AM

Most all 4-stroke personal watercraft have dry sump systems and I have yet to hear about the oil in the sump tank draining back into the engine ??? The Sea-doo 4-tec Rotax engine runs best with the oil level no more than 1/2 way between the add and full mark on the dipstick. Is this a problem specific to the Rotax used in Aprilla bikes?

More things to worry over....guess the only way to know how much oil is actually in the engine would be to drain it and refill with 4 quarts. The filter and tank drain are easy to find, but the drain fitting in the block is not ...the pics in the owners manual don't help much in trying to locate it. There is an allen key bolt that is recessed quite a bit. It is a silver colored bolt rearward of where the filter is. (other bolts are gold colored) Could this be the drain ?

Richard

not a problem, just an observation. as to the drain bolt, you are correct about the bolt just rearward of the filter.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports

#6 B1TTEN #509

B1TTEN #509

Inadvance Member

• SPYDER NATION
  • 1,744 posts
  • Your Ride:The Best Ride Ever

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:18 AM

not a problem, just an observation. as to the drain bolt, you are correct about the bolt just rearward of the filter.

There is another one forward more as well that hey showed me after my first service that had oil on it. Check that while you are down there and it may need tightening. Big warning about over filling this motor.

#7 Way2Fast

Way2Fast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:47 PM

If it is possible for the oil to drain back into the engine from the dry sump holding tank.... that might be the reason why BRP instructs the owner to run the engine before checking the oil dip stick. When the engine has been run, then shut off, the oil level should be "wetting" the dip stick so an accurate reading can be taken even if the oil starts to drain back into the engine after shut down.

Makes sense to me.

I'm wondering how many owners have actualy checked the oil level in their Spyders and what did they find ??

Richard

#8 evoluzione

evoluzione

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:55 PM

...I'm wondering how many owners have actualy checked the oil level in their Spyders and what did they find ??

Richard

we checked ours after it sat for a few days and the level was right in the middle of low & high.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports

#9 Spyder456

Spyder456

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder / Rune

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:03 AM

After 240 miles it is right in the middle, on the line. That is a good thing :P
Norm
Spyder SOLD!!!!

#10 ProviderEx

ProviderEx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Can-Am Spyder, 1990 CRX Si-II, 2009 Scion Xb, 1972 International Harvester TravelAll 1210

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:02 PM

Ok, I spend about 40 minutes on the phone with BRP and my dealer.
has anyone besides me noticed the difference between the book and the writing on the oil canister it self?

in the book it said, turn on bike, let it run for thirty seconds, turn off check oil.
*%@?
but when you remove the panel on the canister it says;
Let the temperature reach Operating Temperatures (fails to mention how many bars that is)
Than it says to turn it off and LET IT STAND on flat ground for 30 seconds than check oil.
after the phone calls that not even BRP has much to sudgest, I called the dealer, they said they never noticed it, but the ONLY way they do it is by letting the car warm up to 3 bars, than letting it sit for no more than 30 seconds, than checking.

he said the oil level will show low if it is not properly heated.
than I asked him about the consumption of oil during brake in.
He said there is absolutely no need to check the oil every 300 miles.
he said sure it is good to check during the brake in as the motor will consume more oil during this time, but he said checking oil every 300 miles doesn't even make since.
that would mean taking oil on a long ride, lol
"Can-I? Can-You? Can-Am!"

#11 Way2Fast

Way2Fast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:54 PM

Ok, I spend about 40 minutes on the phone with BRP and my dealer.
has anyone besides me noticed the difference between the book and the writing on the oil canister it self?

in the book it said, turn on bike, let it run for thirty seconds, turn off check oil.
*%@?
but when you remove the panel on the canister it says;
Let the temperature reach Operating Temperatures (fails to mention how many bars that is)
Than it says to turn it off and LET IT STAND on flat ground for 30 seconds than check oil.
after the phone calls that not even BRP has much to sudgest, I called the dealer, they said they never noticed it, but the ONLY way they do it is by letting the car warm up to 3 bars, than letting it sit for no more than 30 seconds, than checking.

he said the oil level will show low if it is not properly heated.
than I asked him about the consumption of oil during brake in.
He said there is absolutely no need to check the oil every 300 miles.
he said sure it is good to check during the brake in as the motor will consume more oil during this time, but he said checking oil every 300 miles doesn't even make since.
that would mean taking oil on a long ride, lol

When I checked my oil I did it by letting the engine run until it was hot..3 bars on the gauge. Then I shut it off. Checked oil. Restarted it and let it run for 30 seconds then shut it off again and checked the level on the dip stick once more. When the engine was cold no oil showed on the stick. After checking it warm, both times, still no oil showed. Today I poured in 1/2 of the quart of XPS synthetic oil the dealer sent me. When cold the oil was barely visable on the bottom ogf the dip stick. I didn't have a chance to take the Spyder outside and start it today. I will do it tomorrow. I have a feeling that it's going to take more than one quart of oil to bring the level up to near where it should be. Considering the thing only holds 4 quarts, being over a quart low surely wouldn't do the engine any good !!

Richard

#12 inmate1905

inmate1905

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Your Ride:2013 Spyder RT Limited

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

When my 2013  RT Limited as new and during break in, I checked the oil every 500 miles and it used 1/2 quart each check.  After I did the 4,500 mile service and used Harley Davidson SYN3 20W50  Full Synthetic, things seemed very normal.  I have now run 1,100 miles on this oil and have not used a drop. This oil cost $12.95 a quart but from my opinion, may be worth it.  Are there similar stories out there?  I was told that the Rotax engine  was known to use oil but this may not be totally true. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)