belt vibration belt vibration

2 replies to this topic

#1 derezed

derezed

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Your Ride:2012 Spyder RSS

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:49 PM

I have a 2012 RSS, and when i reach 5700-6000 RMP (doesn't matter what speed i'm travelling at), I get a very annoying vibration coming from my belt.  Shake and shimmer.... not welcoming.

When on the highway/freeway travelling at 120km - 130km is where it is the most annoying.  I have to keep my speed around 110kmh in order to avoid the shake.  But, on open road, its nice to open up a bit, or if on long rides, you NEED to be able to cruise at 120kmh without the annoying shake.  This is very frustrating for me.

I am told that the Spyder likes to be at 5000-6000 RPM and if that is when I get the shake, I find it hard to believe that this issue hasn't been resolved.  How can Can-Am promote the 5000 RPM when the bike starts shaking and shimmering at that RPM?

I put a belt tightner on the bottom part of the belt (Smooth-Spyder aftermarket part), in hopes that it would help.  But it didn't.  I also took my Spyder into Canam and had them tighten the belt.  That helped a bit... orgionally, the shake happend at 5000 RPM - which was terrible!  But, after the tightning, I was able to avoid the shake until 5800-6000 RPM.  But even that is unacceptable.  How much can I continue to tighten the belt without any internal damage?

What part can I buy (belt tensioner, new belt. etc) - or what change can I make in order to stop the high frequency shake that I'm getting?  It is the ONLY thing that prevents me from enjoying a long ride.  I've been dealing with this for over a year now, and its way too frustrating not to try and get it fixed.  I am going on a long ride (3 days) in Mid May, and I want to make sure that I get this fixed.

Thank you.

Darren

derezed @ shaw .ca (without spaces)

#2 DSSpyder

DSSpyder

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder RTS 2014

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:46 AM

I have a 2012 RSS, and when i reach 5700-6000 RMP (doesn't matter what speed i'm travelling at), I get a very annoying vibration coming from my belt.  Shake and shimmer.... not welcoming.

When on the highway/freeway travelling at 120km - 130km is where it is the most annoying.  I have to keep my speed around 110kmh in order to avoid the shake.  But, on open road, its nice to open up a bit, or if on long rides, you NEED to be able to cruise at 120kmh without the annoying shake.  This is very frustrating for me.

I am told that the Spyder likes to be at 5000-6000 RPM and if that is when I get the shake, I find it hard to believe that this issue hasn't been resolved.  How can Can-Am promote the 5000 RPM when the bike starts shaking and shimmering at that RPM?

I put a belt tightner on the bottom part of the belt (Smooth-Spyder aftermarket part), in hopes that it would help.  But it didn't.  I also took my Spyder into Canam and had them tighten the belt.  That helped a bit... orgionally, the shake happend at 5000 RPM - which was terrible!  But, after the tightning, I was able to avoid the shake until 5800-6000 RPM.  But even that is unacceptable.  How much can I continue to tighten the belt without any internal damage?

What part can I buy (belt tensioner, new belt. etc) - or what change can I make in order to stop the high frequency shake that I'm getting?  It is the ONLY thing that prevents me from enjoying a long ride.  I've been dealing with this for over a year now, and its way too frustrating not to try and get it fixed.  I am going on a long ride (3 days) in Mid May, and I want to make sure that I get this fixed.

Thank you.

Darren
derezed @ shaw .ca (without spaces)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 DSSpyder

DSSpyder

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder RTS 2014

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

Go on eBay and purchase a Krikit II Dayco Belt Tension Gage (93866) and make drive belt adjustments yourself.
It's easy to use. First time, make sure the belt is installed properly & spinning in the right direction and make your adjustments. Besides tension ensure it is tracking on the pulleys properly (side to side)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: belt, vibration, belt vibration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users