cruise control check ops check sys check engine check brakes limp home mode

1 reply to this topic

#1 Bill Kidd

Bill Kidd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Your Ride:2012 RT-S

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:27 AM

I bought a 2012 RT-S new. It now has about 15,500 miles on it. For well over 18 months, I’ve had a series of repetitive problems with it that start with the cruise control. It stops working, may return but quit again. Once this starts, I will shortly after get a Check Ops display, quickly followed by Check System, Check Ops, Check Engine and Check Brakes, finally dropping into Limp Home Mode. I’ve taken it in to be repaired SEVEN times. Every time it comes out of the shop it runs for 200 – 400 miles before it goes through its routine again. I will be getting the trike back tomorrow, but do not believe what they are telling me the problem/solution. I don’t care for the idea of riding down an interstate here in the southwest at 80MPH+ and my RT-S suddenly slams from 80+ to 40MPH! If I’m not thrown over the handlebars, a semi will run up my butt. Has anyone had this issue, and, if so, what is the problem/solution?

I got the RT-S back today and took it out for a 200 mile test run. As has been the initial problem in all past cases, the cruise control did not work properly from the moment I started the trike. When I spent considerable time trying to jiggle it while trying to set it (neither easy nor wise at speed), it would engage and even re-engage at the same speed, but if I tried to change the set speed, it would go out. Other than the cruise control issue, the RT-S ran very well. Of course, I’m still concerned about getting my standard “light show” and drop into LHM.

At one point while speaking with the BRP rep handling the case, he reviewed all the computer systems check data from the previous seven repair orders, he stated: "I think it's about time for a change. By the way, the 2016 models were released 2 weeks ago." Strange thing, though. For some reason he was terminated. Then I was assigned to Damien (very reminiscent of "Rosemary's Baby"), who flatly told me: "BRP's mandate is to repair all bikes/trikes, not replace them." Hence, I received my RT-S back today, still with the initial issue.

#2 Spyder998

Spyder998

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Your Ride:2012 Spyder RT L

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:41 PM

No I have never had this problem and I have the same bike as you with 27000 miles. Did they replace the handlebar switch,cause from the description it sounds like either a short in the wires or a bad switch.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cruise control, check ops, check sys, check engine, check brakes, limp home mode

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users