• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brockmobile

brockmobile

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Your Ride:2013 Spyder ST Limited

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

Got ready to go for a short ride 2 days ago on my new 2013 ST Ltd. and the battery was dead.  I mean dead!  It read 3 volts on a meter.  Put it on a charger overnight  and it started right up next AM.  In the mean time, I called the service dept where I bought the unit and was told by the service manager; "oh yeah, they are battery hogs.  Wish I had been able to talk to you before you left with the bike.  They don't put out enough watts to cover the electrical load.  You have to pretty much keep them on a charger when not being ridden."  Seems to be true with mine.  At the end of the day, it starts missing and running rough.

I struggle to believe this.  But the proof should be in what you are doing out in the field.  Are you guys and gals having to keep your Spyders on chargers to keep them running?  I find this hard to believe, but so far it seems to be true with mine.  Any advise would help.

#2 Saluda

Saluda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, kayaking, motorcycles and pedal biking.
  • Your Ride:2013 STS

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

Doesn't sound right to me and definately not reflective of my unit.

Never stop questioning. (Happy Spyder owner)

#3 Trickie Dick

Trickie Dick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 517 posts
  • Your Ride:SE5 Red

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

I've got an 08 GS that is still on the original battery.  I keep it on a battery tender in the winter only.  I have dash mounted plugs for my cellphone etc. as well as a GPS tied directly into a fuse block. I have LED running lights and a hookup for my heated liner and gloves.  So, no it is not a battery hog. 

What we have seen in the past that dealers do not charge the battery sufficiently before putting the spyder into service.  We have also seen loose connections at the battery posts that lead to problems.  I think your dealer is lacking in knowledge and using that excuse because he doesn't want to fool with it or doesn't know how to rectify the situation. 

#4 brockmobile

brockmobile

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

Thanks to both of you.  That is encouraging.  As I had said, I struggled to completely buy in to that, but my symptoms seemed to confirm.  I am in New Orleans and not sure how much I will get to ride in the next week but will not hook it up at night.  It certainly is charged up now.  Lets see how it performs.

Any other suggestions or opinions are welcome.

#5 brockmobile

brockmobile

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

I think I maay have found my problem.  After a short ride, I pulled in to my drive and shut the bike off.  As I got off, my neighbor said my "your tail lights are on."  Turned out my brake light switch was stuck on and even though the key was in my pocket, the brake lights were on.  A quick tap of the brake pedal and they went off.   I'll bet that is what ran my battery down to dead.  That service guy didn't know what he was talking about.

1    Got to watch that switch to make sure it doesn't stick again.

2    I have never seen any other vehicle that the brake lights weren't run through the key switch, have you?

#6 DrewNJ

DrewNJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Your Ride:2012 RS

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

That is a known issue with the 13' ST. Should be an easy dealer fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 brockmobile

brockmobile

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

That is a known issue with the 13' ST. Should be an easy dealer fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.  Good to know.  Boy, the value of these forums.  That will be on my list for the 600 mile checkup.

#8 jazcarate

jazcarate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder 2013 ST

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:09 AM

I am having my battery go dead after an hour of riding.  The bike has been at the dealer 3 times already.  

They really have no clue what is wrong with it.  They changed the stator, regulator, electrical switch for the assisted steering, new battery, and still after an hour of riding the bike will not start.  I have to put it on the charger overnight to get the bike to run again for about an hour.  I have put already over 14,000 miles on the bike with no problems.  

These are the comments from other riders on a Facebook group for spyders:

Ron Parks It obviously has a short somewhere in the wiring harness. Probably a real bitch to diagnose where, exactly.
1930097_23839111095_4517_n.jpg?oh=72168a
Jose A Azcarate Thank you Ron. I will call again tomorrow and I will have to drop it off again next year. I leave town this week until the 10th of January.
10406473_1037565142928581_55124773205882
Shane Bruce Not sure if yours is the same as my GS but theres an earth wire under the seat on the right side as you sit,could be needing a tighten up???
1896797_10203139013185783_545004449_n.jp
Bob Lamb If it is a short, should be generating quite a lot of heat. Might be able to locate with a ir thermometer.
1930097_23839111095_4517_n.jpg?oh=72168a
Jose A Azcarate I will pass along the comments to the mechanic. Hopefully they can finally get to the source of the problem. I have put over 14,000 on the bike and never had an issue.

#9 jazcarate

jazcarate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder 2013 ST

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

A friend that knows about bikes emailed me this comments:

The first thing I would do is have the person that installed the lights, go through everything they installed A sort of a way to eliminate some of those things beforehand, is by timelining the upgrades in parallel to the onset of the charging problem. Reasoning: It's possible there could be a current resistance in operation mode, limiting charging back to the battery, OR  one of the circuits could be drawing load at rest. 

Hopefully SOMEONE has done a parasitic load test on the electrical system by now. That being compared to factor specs should give a good indicator as to how far out the over-current draw is. You could then start by disconnecting each of the add-on accessories, one at a time, to see if you could effect the load draw back to spec norm.

If the problem is a faulty part within the factory spec wiring, then good luck. That can be a pain to track down because pretty much the same process will be deployed, but on a lot more wires throughout the factory wiring harness. This bike has a ecm (engine control module)  so the factory would have to read the annalist data from, most assuredly,  a high-end code reader that has enough PIDs to locate such electrical parameters.  

Dwayne White

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users