Photo

RT Gas Mileage

49 replies to this topic

#1 polygonguy

polygonguy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Your Ride:Two 2012 Spyder RT AudioConvenience(Orbital Blue and Magnesium)

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

My wife and I just purchased two 2012 RT's in July. I just assumed they would be good on gas like most bikes. Wrong! Any idea on what gas mileage should be on an RT??? It looks like about 30mpg????
Love to Ryde my Spyders!!

#2 ronnybob

ronnybob

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Your Ride:2011 Can Am Spyder RT SE5

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

I get 35 all the time highway, with my wife and I and gross weight.

#3 BARman29

BARman29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Ryding, ballroom dancing, Crossfit, a Border Collie-German Shepherd named Bailey...Red Sox, Patriots, and RCR fan.
  • Your Ride:2011 Spyder RTS, Viper Red

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

My mileage varies. How I drive, where we go.
Been getting from 31-36 across the board.
Plenty of 'smiles per mile' however!

#4 flybuddy

flybuddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Your Ride:2012 Spyder RT, Suzuki S50

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Not exactly one of the Spyders strong points. It's somewhat difficult to even get an accurate mileage from tank to tank. When you think you're full you can dribble in a heck of a lot more.

#5 polygonguy

polygonguy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Your Ride:Two 2012 Spyder RT AudioConvenience(Orbital Blue and Magnesium)

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

Not exactly one of the Spyders strong points. It's somewhat difficult to even get an accurate mileage from tank to tank. When you think you're full you can dribble in a heck of a lot more.

Yea, I am finding that out. The best I have gooten is 37.6. It sounds like that would be the best, but yes, the smiles are way better than gas mileage! :thumbs:
Love to Ryde my Spyders!!

#6 RTS-PE-551

RTS-PE-551

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:retired since 2004, ride a Spyder RTS and a Bosshoss, ride in RFTW and Rolling Thunder, ride in American Legion Legacy Run, Patriot Guard Rider. Kathie love the new RTS with the fitted luggage. Rode through 14 states and 5,000 miles the first month of ownership.
  • Your Ride:2010 CanAm Spyder RTS SE5 number 551

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

my bosshoss idled down the road and got a consistent 19 mpg - so - when I started getting 30 mpg at 80 mph and 35 mpg at 65 mph with my pe551-rtse5 had it up to 102 mph this past weekend (1,000 mile trip) with a trailer (still got 30). so I am a happy camper weekend before went 1,150 miles with same results, leave tomorrow for a 3,000 mile trip with a budget of $400 for gas, going to spend more on food. life is a journey, I'm going to enjoy it even more now, I'm not going to look at the gas pump, and let my gps be my guide
Kathie and Dave Adam

#7 Bryman99

Bryman99

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Coaching youth sports and riding the Spyder!
  • Your Ride:2012 RT Limited SE5

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

Are you aware of the update for the fuel gauge? Check with your service manager. I had the same question about the fuel mileage when I was informed about this update. I'm not sure what it did or didn't do, I'll have to finish this tank and post the results.

#8 bikerdoc65

bikerdoc65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling and Shooting
  • Your Ride:2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

No matter how anyone tries to soft soap it, this is a big profile machine designed for lots of comfort and not lots of gas mileage.. if you average 30 or better over time consider yourself lucky. I have had rides before that got over 50mph but I have never had one in 44 years of riding that was as much fun as the Spyder..
Hal aka Bikerdoc65

#9 Adrian and Wendy

Adrian and Wendy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Your Ride:2011 RT SM 5

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:34 AM

Yep I agree. It's a wide muther and almost twice as heavy as most bikes. It gets about the same mileage as a small car.

But it's better than running two bikes which is what we did before getting the spyder

#10 flybuddy

flybuddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Your Ride:2012 Spyder RT, Suzuki S50

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

I continually find it hard to be accurate from tank to tank. Was on a fairly long ride today, had 3 bars showing when i knew i was at least 25 miles from next gas station. Barely made it. Put 5 gallons in and you could see the gas right near the top of the neck. I slowly kept squeezing more gas in and got to 6+ when i gave up, not sure of how much more i could have put in. How the heck are you suppossed to figure gas mileage when the top off point is that inconsistent?

#11 dslim

dslim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Touring, snowmobiling, riding ATV
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder Rt Blue

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

We rode across SD on the interstate a couple weeks ago. Loaded 2 up pulling a loaded trailer, cruise at 78-80MPH and 30-31 MPG. Today we went on a 200 mile local cruise at 57-60MPH 2 up but no trailer 34.8 MPG. Still my favorite was a couple years ago when a biker in shorts and sandals, asked me at a station what I get for mileage. I told him 30-35. He said man that's pretty bad. I told him I didn't buy it for mileage, just like I was sure he didn't buy his Harley for performance. He just turned and walked away. It is what it is, It's wide and heavy, and spins at higher speeds. With the hip that I have it is allowing us to continue to ride, and that's the important thing.

#12 spydercowboy

spydercowboy

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Shooting reloading and motorcycle riding
  • Your Ride:2012 Spyder RT Limited & 2007 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

Are you aware of the update for the fuel gauge? Check with your service manager. I had the same question about the fuel mileage when I was informed about this update. I'm not sure what it did or didn't do, I'll have to finish this tank and post the results.

Are you saying that your 2012 needs an update that somehow affects the mileage? Does that mean I need it too?

Do everything like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Bowie.gifth_thidHN_zps2133042b.jpgth_nralifemember_zpscf9f5f94.jpg

#13 RangerRiick162

RangerRiick162

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder rts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

I ahve the 2010 RT-S and for the past 1.55 years driving it 75 miles a day at hwy speeds between 60-70+ and i get 28mpg. so if your getting 30+ count your blessings. Just a thought..could it be the quality of your fules that you get in your area...here in south easteren Virginia...I have found it hard to find a gas station that has consistantly high quality fuel.

#14 Bryman99

Bryman99

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Coaching youth sports and riding the Spyder!
  • Your Ride:2012 RT Limited SE5

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:54 AM

Are you saying that your 2012 needs an update that somehow affects the mileage? Does that mean I need it too?

I don't believe this "update" has any effect on the fuel mileage but it does have an effect on the accuracy of your fuel gauge. When the needle is in the red and you can only add 3 gallons (about half a tank) something is wrong. This makes accurately gauging a tank a little difficult but stopping for fuel every 120 to 150 miles gives you a chance to stretch!

I'm not certain that you will need this "update". Check with the service manager at your dealership.

#15 spydercowboy

spydercowboy

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Shooting reloading and motorcycle riding
  • Your Ride:2012 Spyder RT Limited & 2007 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:27 AM

Got it. Thanks. :thumbs:

Do everything like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Bowie.gifth_thidHN_zps2133042b.jpgth_nralifemember_zpscf9f5f94.jpg

#16 moose

moose

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Your Ride:2011 spyder RT

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Have 8,000 miles on my 2011 get a little over 30mpg

#17 C Leg

C Leg

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Your Ride:'12 RT limited

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

What exactly will the dealer do to upgrade the fuel gauge? I have heard that unhooking the fuel and temp gauges automatically activates digital gauges for both on the digital screen, which are both more accurate. Anyone have any idea if this is real or fiction, worth doing or not?
file://localhost/Users/robertraymond/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library_2/Originals/2012/May%2027,%202012/DSCN4421.JPG

#18 quickster47

quickster47

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Family time, airguns, cannons, and ryding.
  • Your Ride:2012 RT Limited and a 2013 ST-S

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

What exactly will the dealer do to upgrade the fuel gauge? I have heard that unhooking the fuel and temp gauges automatically activates digital gauges for both on the digital screen, which are both more accurate. Anyone have any idea if this is real or fiction, worth doing or not?

Yep it does work and I think the digitals are more accurate. Replaced my fuel and temperature gauge with a VDO clock and ambient temperature gauge.

Carl
Young riders choose a destination while old riders choose a direction.

#19 clayton rider

clayton rider

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Your Ride:2012 Limited RT

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

My wife and I are new and after four tank fill ups we are averaging 30.5 miles to a gallon of 89 octane. Not bad as my car gets 19 mpg.

#20 JimFoy

JimFoy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Your Ride:RT A&C SE5 Blue

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

I get 27-30 MPG on my 2012 RT.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users