11 replies to this topic

#1 Texan

Texan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Your Ride:Spurs Silver

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

I have a bit over 21K on my rear tire and the wear markers are saying it is about time to replace it. Earlier there were some discussions about folks going to and using car rear tires; however, there are no recent discussions on them and how well they did or didn't work. So, if anyone out there is currently using car vice the stock Spyder (Kenda) tires, what are you using, how well is it doing, and where did you get it mounted?

Thannks!
Texan
San Antonio
Putting miles on it

#2 lapirow

lapirow

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Your Ride:2009 RS M Spyder

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

Replaced my Kenda with a Hancook. Seems to be better ride and better grip. Normal car tyre shop did the work but they let me remove and replace the wheel.

#3 flybuddy

flybuddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Your Ride:2012 Spyder RT, Suzuki S50

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

There's been numerous threads on this. Seems that practically everyone who goes to a car tire is happy. Better strength and wear, also you can inflate higher. Since the rear tire is a pain in the butt to change it pays to get the best possible wearing tire on there. The naysayers are almost entirely of the mind that if Can Am put the Kenda on there then there must be a reason. My best guess is that it's the same reason as the front shocks---cost. When mine wears out I'm probably going to go with the Falken, I have them on a sports car and they're great.

#4 spydermomma

spydermomma

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Your Ride:spyder rt

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

30,000 km on my 2010 Rt and I am needing to change rear tire for the 3rd time. 1st tire was done after only 13,000 but there were belt align issues - 2nd was better. Want to go to a car tire, but dont know what to use.
Suggestions would be appreciated.

#5 flybuddy

flybuddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Your Ride:2012 Spyder RT, Suzuki S50

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

30,000 km on my 2010 Rt and I am needing to change rear tire for the 3rd time. 1st tire was done after only 13,000 but there were belt align issues - 2nd was better. Want to go to a car tire, but dont know what to use.
Suggestions would be appreciated.

There's lots of choices, here's some that other RT owners have used:

Toyo T1R or Proxes 4
Kumho Ecsta
Falken ZE912 & 512
Michelin Hydroedge

In some cases when going to a car tire you may not be able to exactly match the tire size. Use the chart below. Punch in the stock tire size and once you know the exact diameter you can try to get close to that number with other sized tires that are close. Slightly less diameter will give you more accurate speedometer readings as the stock setup reads about 3% high, slightly larger will worsen that error but improve gas mileage.

http://www.onlinecon..._conversion.htm

Edited by flybuddy, 25 August 2012 - 08:38 AM.

#6 Trevor G

Trevor G

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Your Ride:Can Am Spyder RS-S

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Slightly less diameter will give you more accurate speedometer readings as the stock setup reads about 3% high, slightly larger will worsen that error but improve gas mileage.

Correction: if the stock setup reads a higher speed than accurate, you need to fit a larger diameter rear tyre to compensate.

It's a rear tyre, not a rear sprocket. :-)

Edited by Trevor G, 31 December 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#7 ryg1957

ryg1957

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder rt

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:59 PM

i know this is an old post but just putting my 2 cent in here

I just replace stock tire on 2010 rt with a 205/60/15 Douglas Performance so far so good.

#8 J&C Florida

J&C Florida

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Your Ride:2014 RT

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:22 AM

The original tire (Kenda) wore out at 7000 mile right in the center of tire just like over inflation, but it wasn't. I was told the belts broke down in the center of the tire. The tire was concave just sitting there and it went oval when riding and wore out the center of the tire. That's a new one. I replaced it with a Perelli 225/50ZR15 and it's doing a great job. ($360.00) Not a cheap tire by no means, but a hell of a lot better tire than what comes on the bike. Had dealer put it on for me, cause I didn't want to deal with the belt alignment. Cost $200.00 for a tire change (Sucks)

PS: I tried to get a Michelin and they quit making them.  So that's out !!!

#9 Habib

Habib

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 RS

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:33 PM

So the consensus on using car tires is..............

What about the front?

Has Can-AM given any in put on this?

Thanks.

#10 NautiBrit

NautiBrit

NautiBrit

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Riding and Soccer
  • Your Ride:2013 Viper Red RT-S, 1997 Valkyrie

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:21 PM

Many riders are using car tires with great success and they're particularly useful if you're a high mileage ryder. Officially, BRP would likely never endorse anything but OEM tires. It would be impossible for them to test all possible configurations. Zee Rubber have an approved tire, but it has similar construction and wear characteristics to the OEM's.

George

2013 Viper Red Spyder RT-S
1997 Valkyrie Standard Red/White

2015 CSC Cyclone RX-3 Red

#11 Bfromla

Bfromla

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Your Ride:2013 ST LIMITED

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:53 AM

Fyi some of what ive learned:

Rear tire options:
Michelin HydroEdge 215/60R15
Or
General Altimax RT 43 ( in 215/60-15 ) has the best ratings of all the tires that will fit....plus you should get much better mileage from it. Or
Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50 15 (exact OEM tire size). 10500 happy miles on the Kumho already with little or no wear.. have averaged 30000 miles per tire on three previous kumho s . buy them on eBay for $81 delivered to doorstep (interestingly enough from discounttiredirect.com

#12 Stealth11

Stealth11

Trike Designer

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Many and diverse
  • Your Ride:Wheels forward trike conversions - various brands

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

The factory tires are claimed to be MC tires with a automotive profile however this is equates to they are car tires. A standard automotive radial will work flawlessly as long as you maintain the proper and recommended (low) air pressure of 16psi front and around 26 psi rear. I find on all of my units this equates to superior life span of over 40k and decent controllable ride quality. I normally run continental tires as the profile is clean and these tend to be round and true however most tire brands are perfectly suitable.

I find the greatest issues arise from over inflation as this seems to be a tendency.

www.ido-endeavor.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users