LoneSpyderRyder

leoejr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, Grandkids, Grandkids and loving the Spyder life
  • Your Ride:2008 Yellow PE#2683

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

When I had my 2008 Spyder and I started having problems with my Spyder and complained about in on the SpyderLovers.com and SpyderTalk.com the majority of members of these 2 Spyder sites inferred that part of the problem was my impatience with the dealers and BRP.
After the loss of my 2008 Spyder to fire, I very foolishly bought a 2009. The power steering failed and turned me into the oncoming traffic lane. Thank goodness I was in a residential area and there was no oncoming traffic. I was trying to counter steer and when the steering released from whatever was going on I dam near flipped it.
I had also started smelling gas again. At a little over 5000 miles the front tires have uneven and excessive ware on the inside. It has stalled and died 2 times and has never had the passing power the 08 had. The gas mileage in 10 mpg lower than the 08.
You did not see any post from me about these problems because I didnít want to be a ďtrouble maker or complainerĒ.
Four weeks ago I took it to Twin Cities Motor Sports in Roseville, CA. Although It is not the dealer I bought the Spyder from it is a lot closer to me than the Lodi dealer and they have to certified Spyder mechanics.
I contacted Carlo at BRP. I was unable to talk to him put he called me back and left me a message saying that although he was going on a 2 week vacation and that he had started a file and had a case number for Twin Cities Motor Sports to use and that the techs working on the Spyder would be able to get any authorization that they would need to work on the Spyder. Twin Cities Motor Sports has not been able to get any kind of response from BRP.
I waited 1 week after Carlo was back from vacation to see if Carlo would respond to Twin Cities Motor Sports request for authorization to work on the Spyder. There was no response from Carlos so I emailed him. I have never got any response to that email so on July 7 I sent this email to all the people at BRP that I have a email address for. As of now 10:30 am July 11 I have not heard from anyone.
The message below is a request for help with the problems I am having with the New 2009 Spyder. It has been in the shop 17 working days and Twin Cities Motorsports in Roseville, Ca. and they have not been able to get any response from your tech support as to what they can do about fixing these problems. So I am sending this request for to all BRP employees that I have a email address to and maybe someone can call and talk to Chris the Twin Cities Motorsports Shop manager.

Carlo,
It has been 3 weeks since I took my 2009 Spyder SM5 into Twin Cities Motorsports in Roseville, Ca.
my problems are as follows;
Potently life threaten safely issues:
1. DPS Steering unit turned me into the on-coming lane, and had there been a car coming I would have been seriously injured and or killed. When the steering "released" I almost flipped the Spyder do to the amount of pressure I was using to try and steer in back into my lane.
2. I can smelling fuel at different times. No particular time or situation. I can smell gas at highway speeds and at stops. I have stopped or pulled over to see if I could find any sign of gas leaks but have yet to find any. This has occurred 5 or 6 times in the last 2000 miles. I know for a fact this is serious.
Non threaten issues:
1. It seems to me that the 2009 have at least a 15 to 20 percent decrease in power from the 2009. The passing and climbing power are noticeably less.
2. I have what I consider is worse front inside tire ware than even my 2008 had and I have had the wheel and tires balanced and checked twice since putting the BRP 6 Spoke rims on. Since the day I picked it up it has not felt the same. I ride the same 100 to 800 mile trips on many of the same roads. I ride slower than I did before so things should be close to the same when it comes to gas mileage, tire ware, and performance. Since the 2009 is a year new I would think if nothing else it should have improved some and it certainly hasnít.
3. I am getting anywhere from 10 to 15 MPG less on the 2009 (low as 21 mpg, high 25 mpg) then I got on my 2008. I got low as 30 mpg, high 35 mpg). I feel that there is something wrong.
So those are the problems that I have and would like to have fixed.
I took the Spyder into Twin Cities Motorsports in Roseville, Ca. I talked to the owner and I also let him listen to the voice mail that you left me before you left for your vacation. They have the reference number you gave me.
So far 3 weeks later they tell me they cannot get any authorization from BRP for anything test or work they wish to do.
I am trying very hard to handle my issues in a more tolerant manner but to be honest it donít appear to get any better response from BRP than the way I handled it before. I guess itís back to the same old song and dance.
Dealer blames BRP, BRP blames the dealer or rider.
Personally I am sick of the sos. This is my first response to the lack of customer service care.
Your Temporary Complaint Number (TCN) was: FBN30-10728
Your complaint identification number (ODI Number) is: 10411083
The ODI Number listed above can be used to view your complaint on our website. It is a direct link to your complaint and can also be entered in the Search Complaints section of our site. Your complaint should become available for viewing within three business days of this notice.
Thank you for helping in our quest to improve the safety of our Nation's roadways for all of the motoring public. NHTSA technical staff members review this information to identify potential safety problems. While you may or may not be contacted by a NHTSA investigator to clarify the information submitted, all reports are reviewed and analyzed for potential defect trends. The NHTSA complaint database provides valuable information to other consumers and to manufacturers.
Thank you,
Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)
In closing this post I would like to say this.
If I had not had the steering problem I would not have filed the above report, but like it or not the Spyder has some serious problems that can very well get someone killed.
"When you change the way you look at things,
the things you look at change"
Dr. Wayne Dyer

'No Country for Gurmpy Old Men'

#2 RonL

RonL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Your Ride:Rss-se5

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

With all of your problems with the 2008 I just can't believe you bought another.

#3 LoneSpyderRyder

LoneSpyderRyder

leoejr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:06 AM

With all of your problems with the 2008 I just can't believe you bought another.

I can't believe it either but the truth is I only rode a 2 wheeler on summer when I was in my early 20's. I feel the Spyder is extremely safe without the steering problems. I was hoping that by this time BRP would have taken care of the more serious problems and would have got the service problems taken care of by now.
I am at a loss as to what I do now. Hope when I get it back or just get it fixed and sell it. I would never forgive myself if I sold it and then someone got seriously injured or killed. But you are right about one thing for sure I should never have bought another one. My wrong, my mistake.
no fool like a old fool.
Dr. Wayne Dyer

#4 Saluda

Saluda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, kayaking, motorcycles and pedal biking.
  • Your Ride:2013 STS

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:48 AM

Sorry to hear of your issues, hope they give you some satisfaction and quickly. You've always seemed to be a patient and reasonable owner. Definately loyal, BRP ???

Edited by Saluda, 12 July 2011 - 04:48 AM.

Never stop questioning. (Happy Spyder owner)

#5 Y-me

Y-me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 RS-S

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

Sorry to read that you seem to be getting the run around from BuRP and/or the dealer.
Do they have a "Lemon Law" in CA for cycles?

Y

#6 LoneSpyderRyder

LoneSpyderRyder

leoejr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

Update to out of patience with BRP 07/12/2011
I got a call this morning from Carlo and he has contacted the dealer to get the ball rolling. I called the dealer and I was told that they would begin working to diagnose the problems with the Spyder in the morning and it was their top priority.
I will update you all as this progresses, I would so like to believe in the Spyder all connected with it but there has been a lot of troubled water gone under the bridge. I have gone as far as to consider this and I am not kidding. I have always been a wanderer and lived for years traveling in a school bus doing construction in the western United States. The Spyder opened up a whole new world for me at a time in my life that I really needed. So for all of you who own a Spyder that has had no issues or those who had issues that were taken care of in a honest and prompt time I wish you well and envy you all because believe me my 08 and I had our ďRock StarĒ monuments. I just wonder if I can find that with the Spyder again.
Dr. Wayne Dyer

#7 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyders

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:43 AM

Leo,

You have been more than patient. I truly hope your problems get resolved, and get resolved quickly. Your situation is very frustrating, but have faith that things will get resolved. I know hundreds of Spyder owners personally that have thousands of trouble free miles on Spyders...including me. Hopefully we can get you into that group very soon. I'll see what I can do to help.

Riding a Spyder puts a smile on my face

#8 doctor

doctor

doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Your Ride:#1058

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

Leo,

You have been more than patient. I truly hope your problems get resolved, and get resolved quickly. Your situation is very frustrating, but have faith that things will get resolved. I know hundreds of Spyder owners personally that have thousands of trouble free miles on Spyders...including me. Hopefully we can get you into that group very soon. I'll see what I can do to help.

I can't belive you bought another one. After my problems with the one I had I would never consider another BRP product.

#9 LoneSpyderRyder

LoneSpyderRyder

leoejr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

Leo,

Hi Marc, you are one of the good guys for sure. I am still keeping a open mind about this whole thing. Maybe BRP should take some of the money they are spending on new designs and spend some money on fixing problems that the older Spyders have that has continued on to the newer models. One thing they really need to do is let other motorcycle shops have the (they could charge for teh cost of setting up the BUDS system so that you are not requried to go to a BRP dealer to get the Spyder fixed. You can take a Ford to almost any shop and get it worked on. I also know for a fact that the amount of Spyders a dealer had to stock has caused a lot of dealer to quit selling Spyder and in some cases even close.
One thing for sure. I love my Spyder. I just don't know if trust will ever be restored.
Dr. Wayne Dyer

#10 Alan

Alan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Your Ride:Mazda Tribute

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

leoejr, I Also, had problems with my 2009 RS SE5, steering and shifting but since my 600 miles check-up, I have had no problems. I now have 2,400 miles and reliability in the Spyder is great. Looking at many different mods to do and taking a long trip soon. :thumbs:

#11 LoneSpyderRyder

LoneSpyderRyder

leoejr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:44 AM

Posted 07/17/2011
Well today is a very bad day for me. I can no longer pretend that everything will work out ok with my Spyder. If and when I get my Spyder back from the shop I will be parting ways with the 09. The big question for me is how I am going to do it. Upset and mad as (*&(^ hardly says it at all.

Last Monday, 07/11/11 I got a call from Carlo saying that they were contacting Twin Cities Motorsports 1720 Douglas Blvd. Roseville, Ca. 95661 (916) 780-4826 and would give them authorization to start working on my Spyder. This was the 23rd working day that the Spyder had sit waiting to be worked on. I called Twin Cities Motorsports and talked to Chris the shop manager and was told that BRP had been given 2 hours of labor to diagnosis the problems that I am having. Chris said that was just what they needed and that they had a few things jobs to finish up and that they would start on my Spyder Tuesday morning first thing, and that my Spyder was now top priority.
Talk about starting to get excited, at last I am going to get my Spyder fixed and I will be back on the road. I hear nothing Tuesday or Wednesday so around 3 Thursday I call and they tell me Chris will call back. He didnít call back so on Friday I was really hot so when I call there Friday and stay on hold till I get disconnected. When I called back again and tell them I want to talk to Chris and they donít want me to have to come up to the dealership, that I knew they had not done anything to the Spyder but I was going to talk to Chris one way or another and find out just where things stood. Well I was finally put through and I asked Chris what had they done so far his answer totally blew me away. ďwe have not even started on your Spyder. We have been having a big sale on water craft and they sold so many that they didnít have enough people to prep the new water craft for delivery so they wouldnít be able to work on my Spyder till they got everything they sold delivered.
Needless to say things have been going downhill since.
So it is hard telling when I will get and now that I have lost it and told the dealer what I thought about them I would not trust them to do anything correctly but I donít have many choices. I know one thing I will not ride it again until the someone tells me it has been fixed.
ThereĒ liesĒ the problem with both BRP and its dealers. Really care about anyone or anything other than selling new products. Once you have bought their product you are just problem for a lot of the dealers. If it is not an easy fix that can be done at the maximum personal experience over a period of 3 plus years of dealing with BRP and their dealers, this is what I know for sure
BRP: b designed and built and a super fun product, the Spyder. They found out after (?) they released it that there are some serious problems with this machine. Two of these problems could cause life threaten events.
1. When a vehicle can on its own steer you into oncoming traffic this is a very serious problem and let me tell you this problem had not been fixed. This just happened to me on a new Spyder that (had) supposedly had the new DPS replace and all updates done to it before I even bought it. The day I picked it up I asked the same thing again and was told it was completely taken care of.
2. When you cannot fill a vehicles gas tank to the top (no I am not talking about filling it until it over flows) and numerous owners have all had this problem to me it is problem, and a design flaw. Who knows if it could be connected to the fires that have happened. The company producing these vehicles should find out what the problem is and fix it. Especially when this fuel problem can and may very well be connected to the vehicles self-igniting while you are riding it is absolutely terror until you get off of it. You dam sure donít want to be on the freeway when it happens. Ask Donzo or one of the others how scary it is. It is one thing to be loyal to a product and to sing its praises; itís another to be blind to problems that exist.

Well tomorrow starts a new day. I have to start trying to find a solution of how to get rid of the Spyder without losing some big bucks. But my biggest problem is how do I sell something I am selling because I don't trust it.
Dr. Wayne Dyer

#12 kawakii

kawakii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Your Ride:2011 Black & Grey RS-S SE5

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

So sorry you are having these problems, and that you are dealing with such a bad dealership who think its okay to keep your Spyder on it lot for so long without even getting you a diagnosis or any work done. If our local dealership was like that we sure wouldn't have bought ours. It is also a reason we didn't by BRP BEST warrenty but Zurich so getting replacement parts under warrenty is a quicker and easier process.

Again... so sorry..don't blame you for being frustrated and hope once it gets fixed it'll be a quick sale for you.
2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SE5 Black & Grey. 12v ,Trunk Liner, Battery Lead, Corbin Seat, Outdoor Cover, Shark Helmets, Sena Communcation/Intercom system, and Wheelchair Rack. Hoping to get ISCI Hand Brake and Passenger floorboards soon :)

#13 Chrison3

Chrison3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Your Ride:Can am Spyder SE5

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

I as well have been a loyal Spyder owner although the ownership is turning to be of very short duration. I purchased a 2009 Se5 leftover late last fall and now after 9 months of ownership am having to say goodbye. It certainly has been plaqued with it's share of issues all covered under warranty, to over $9,000. Up until today I had concerns for it's reliability but still loved to ride it. Well my concerns turned to reality and I said my goodbyes to the Spydder on the streets of Manhattan. I was returning from ride through Brooklyn into Manhattan and on 59th street the Spyder met it's death. The engine area became increasingly hot then smoke came billowing from the engine area followed by flames in a matter of 15 - 30 seconds. Needles to say with the busy city streets I was concerned that the gas tank would explode thinking of all the people around and just saw the worse happening. I believe the Spyder to be a total loss and I will miss riding it. I can not see purchasing another Spyder at this point. We all have paid a good amount to BRP for our Spyders and even with the somewhat poor customer service and the undertrained repair network those who love them do not want to give them up. I am obviously not listing details for a reason and at some point hope to share my experiences with the group but at this time will have to hold back on this. I belive them to be great innovative machines, some are plagued with issues while others seem to be trouble free. I understand those who have had trouble free miles with their machines and only have positives to speak of and that is great. Just take a moment to place yourselves in the shoes of us who have not been as fortunate. I can honestly say that my experiences with my safety have been pushed past the limit of the fun outweighing potential loss of life. As of today I might still be a Spyder owner but will no longer be a Spyder rider. To all enjoy the ride but let your instincts guide your decissions. If and when I am able to post the details I will be glad to I think it is important that we share all issues and what to watch out for but as things go I can't rush the bueratic systems that are in place.

#14 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:48 AM

Mine too caught fire while riding, anyone know where the VIN number is besides the sticker that is no longer there due to flames. I know how you feel lonespyder. Mint to was in the shop more than I had it the first year. But I think it was due to lack of training for the mechanics more than anything. But now its gone and unless I can prove it was really mine I'm out everything.

#15 Jacob

Jacob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Your Ride:09 Spyder GS

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

Posted 07/17/2011

2. When you cannot fill a vehicles gas tank to the top (no I am not talking about filling it until it over flows) and numerous owners have all had this problem to me it is problem, and a design flaw. Who knows if it could be connected to the fires that have happened. The company producing these vehicles should find out what the problem is and fix it. Especially when this fuel problem can and may very well be connected to the vehicles self-igniting while you are riding it is absolutely terror until you get off of it. You dam sure don't want to be on the freeway when it happens. Ask Donzo or one of the others how scary it is. It is one thing to be loyal to a product and to sing its praises; it's another to be blind to problems that exist.

Well tomorrow starts a new day. I have to start trying to find a solution of how to get rid of the Spyder without losing some big bucks. But my biggest problem is how do I sell something I am selling because I don't trust it.

First I would find a different dealer! Second the fuel issue is easy to fix. Remove that useless carbon filter canister and just run a separate vent line. I've got over 10k on my Spyder and I've never had a fuel issue. I removed my canister on day one. Problem solved. I've done the same thing on all my bikes with no ill effects. Posted Image

#16 doctor

doctor

doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Your Ride:#1058

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

Posted 07/17/2011
Well today is a very bad day for me. I can no longer pretend that everything will work out ok with my Spyder. If and when I get my Spyder back from the shop I will be parting ways with the 09. The big question for me is how I am going to do it. Upset and mad as (*&(^ hardly says it at all.

Last Monday, 07/11/11 I got a call from Carlo saying that they were contacting Twin Cities Motorsports 1720 Douglas Blvd. Roseville, Ca. 95661 (916) 780-4826 and would give them authorization to start working on my Spyder. This was the 23rd working day that the Spyder had sit waiting to be worked on. I called Twin Cities Motorsports and talked to Chris the shop manager and was told that BRP had been given 2 hours of labor to diagnosis the problems that I am having. Chris said that was just what they needed and that they had a few things jobs to finish up and that they would start on my Spyder Tuesday morning first thing, and that my Spyder was now top priority.
Talk about starting to get excited, at last I am going to get my Spyder fixed and I will be back on the road. I hear nothing Tuesday or Wednesday so around 3 Thursday I call and they tell me Chris will call back. He didnít call back so on Friday I was really hot so when I call there Friday and stay on hold till I get disconnected. When I called back again and tell them I want to talk to Chris and they donít want me to have to come up to the dealership, that I knew they had not done anything to the Spyder but I was going to talk to Chris one way or another and find out just where things stood. Well I was finally put through and I asked Chris what had they done so far his answer totally blew me away. ďwe have not even started on your Spyder. We have been having a big sale on water craft and they sold so many that they didnít have enough people to prep the new water craft for delivery so they wouldnít be able to work on my Spyder till they got everything they sold delivered.
Needless to say things have been going downhill since.
So it is hard telling when I will get and now that I have lost it and told the dealer what I thought about them I would not trust them to do anything correctly but I donít have many choices. I know one thing I will not ride it again until the someone tells me it has been fixed.
ThereĒ liesĒ the problem with both BRP and its dealers. Really care about anyone or anything other than selling new products. Once you have bought their product you are just problem for a lot of the dealers. If it is not an easy fix that can be done at the maximum personal experience over a period of 3 plus years of dealing with BRP and their dealers, this is what I know for sure
BRP: b designed and built and a super fun product, the Spyder. They found out after (?) they released it that there are some serious problems with this machine. Two of these problems could cause life threaten events.
1. When a vehicle can on its own steer you into oncoming traffic this is a very serious problem and let me tell you this problem had not been fixed. This just happened to me on a new Spyder that (had) supposedly had the new DPS replace and all updates done to it before I even bought it. The day I picked it up I asked the same thing again and was told it was completely taken care of.
2. When you cannot fill a vehicles gas tank to the top (no I am not talking about filling it until it over flows) and numerous owners have all had this problem to me it is problem, and a design flaw. Who knows if it could be connected to the fires that have happened. The company producing these vehicles should find out what the problem is and fix it. Especially when this fuel problem can and may very well be connected to the vehicles self-igniting while you are riding it is absolutely terror until you get off of it. You dam sure donít want to be on the freeway when it happens. Ask Donzo or one of the others how scary it is. It is one thing to be loyal to a product and to sing its praises; itís another to be blind to problems that exist.

Why don't you just used the Lemon Law, and make them buy it back. Then you can buy yourself another one, and have better luck.

#17 Chrison3

Chrison3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Your Ride:Can am Spyder SE5

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:26 PM

Why don't you just used the Lemon Law, and make them buy it back. Then you can buy yourself another one, and have better luck.

Unfortunately,it is not that simple. I have spoken to dealers and have seen a brand new RT being crated back up because the delaer had it sold and in preping it found that it would not stay running. Those who have had the misfortunes with their Spyders understand exactly what I am refering to. I believe BRP as most large corporations make their decissions around the almighty dollar and not always what is right. I a soon to find this out. That is why we have legal systems in place and if the large corporation does not see their liability in the situation then you need to follow suit and do what is necessary to make things right. Again, everything is not a simple as saying just handle it through the lemon laws.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users