7 replies to this topic

#1 cjpb07

cjpb07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder RT SA

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:26 AM

My fuel gauge reads empty with red warning light on, however it only takes 18 litres on fill up..anyone else having this issue? Also in 5th gear revs remain high, about 3300rpm's (2010 RT), otherwise great ride. Comments, info appreciated.
Thanks
CJPB

#2 Yeochief

Yeochief

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Your Ride:2009 Spyder GS SE5

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

The fuel pump light came on while riding my RS. I put 4.79 gallons (U.S) in that is around 18 litres. As I understand, this is about average. The tank holds 6.6 gallons. One poster said that even with no bars showing on the gauge he only managed 5.9 gallons. :riding:

What speed are you going in 5th gear at 3300 rpm? The engine is at the lower end of the power curve at that speed. I find that shifting my RS SE5 at 3300 or higher gives the smoothest shifts. :spy-de:

#3 Hemp

Hemp

• SPYDER NATION
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking, Bicycling, reading, and riding.
  • Your Ride:2008 Spyder GS

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:20 AM

I was curious about my gas gauge as well. As I was approaching around a hundred miles after fill-ups, the gauge would display a couple of bars. I would stop and fill up, which amounted to 3 gallons. It's another little quirk that makes my spyder the machine that it is. But then most of my motorcycles always had a little quirky side to them ........ except that Buell, which was a pile of crap. That was one giant quirk. Love my Spyder and the little nuiances that make it MY Spyder.
Me ke aloha pau ole

#4 Ken5517

Ken5517

Ken5517 / Wish Again

• SPYDER NATION
  • 1,434 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 GS Spyder & 2010 RTS Spyder

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

I was curious about my gas gauge as well. As I was approaching around a hundred miles after fill-ups, the gauge would display a couple of bars. I would stop and fill up, which amounted to 3 gallons. It's another little quirk that makes my spyder the machine that it is. But then most of my motorcycles always had a little quirky side to them ........ except that Buell, which was a pile of crap. That was one giant quirk. Love my Spyder and the little nuiances that make it MY Spyder.

You have 2 mileage trip meters - I set one at zero when I fill up, and regardless what the gas gauge says I fig. RT at 150 miles max and the RS at 170 miles max. Of coarse that dependes on terrian and how you ride.
fig 32 MPG for the RS and 28 or less for the RT
"Spyder Ryder of America" is on Face Book now - join a chapter today

Contact Ken to start your local SRA Chapter today, expanding across America.

#5 Hemp

Hemp

• SPYDER NATION
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking, Bicycling, reading, and riding.
  • Your Ride:2008 Spyder GS

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

You have 2 mileage trip meters - I set one at zero when I fill up, and regardless what the gas gauge says I fig. RT at 150 miles max and the RS at 170 miles max. Of coarse that dependes on terrian and how you ride.

Absolutly on target. I average 32.5 for my GS as noted on Fuelly. Again, not complaining, just making an observation. This spyder is a ball to drive, fuel gauge misreads or not. :D
Me ke aloha pau ole

#6 WICOHM

WICOHM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Motorcyles, Bicyling, staying fit
  • Your Ride:2014 RTS

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

#7 WICOHM

WICOHM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Motorcyles, Bicyling, staying fit
  • Your Ride:2014 RTS

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

If your tires are inflated at factory specs, you can't be getting that kind of mileage unless you aren't using ethanol gas. I have a RT and befofe I increase tire pressure I was only around 18-20 on my long trips. I live in the Midwest and a lot of ethanol is used here. Now can get 29-30 with increase tire pressure and the down side is that the rear tire wears out more quickly. BRP has to come with better gas mileage as these engines are set really lean.

#8 syd

syd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:spyders harleys long distance rideing
  • Your Ride:2010 RT

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:47 AM

I have a 2010 RT.Fuel gauge is all over the place.When the lite comes on Ican get about 100ks
fill up and will take about 23litres.This give a trip of around 230 to 250 ks.If I go out of town I carry 5 litres.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users