#1 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts
  • Interests:Spyder Rydes and tours.
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder RT-S SE5 & RT 622 Orbital Blue

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

I read an updated Safety Recall about the DPS issue on the internet a few days ago. Just checking to see if anyone has any updated info about it ? :TgC_emoticon142:

#2 Ken5517

Ken5517

Ken5517 / Wish Again

• SPYDER NATION
  • 1,434 posts
  • Your Ride:Harley Road Glide / 2008 Spyder Roadster

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:40 PM

I read an updated Safety Recall about the DPS issue on the internet a few days ago. Just checking to see if anyone has any updated info about it ? :TgC_emoticon142:

Info coming soon in detail:beerchug1:
"Spyder Ryder of America" is on Face Book now - join a chapter today

Contact Ken to start your local SRA Chapter today, expanding across America.

#3 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyders

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:00 PM

From my understanding, this is a voluntary continuation of the DPS recall from last year...not a new recall. It will cover all 2008-2010 Spyders (GS/RS and RT) manufactured through August of this year. Every owner that is eligible for the completely new, replacement DPS will get a letter and dealers will have parts autoshipped to ensure that they can take care of their Spyder buyers.

You can keep running your Spyder, I plan to, until you get in for the replacement DPS...but if you are one of the few that feels a little "notchy" steering from time to time, I would give a call to the dealer and get an appointment for the free part.

I have not experienced any symptoms with my Spyder or the RT-S we are running, but it's nice to know that BRP has developed a 2nd generation DPS that eliminates any chance of the sticky steering that some have experienced. The DPS swap is supposed to take about 2 hours...I'm due for an oil change anyway so I'll call my dealer and make an appointment once I get my letter.

Here's a link with some official information on the recall --> Click here

Riding a Spyder puts a smile on my face

#4 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

From my understanding, this is a voluntary continuation of the DPS recall from last year...not a new recall. It will cover all 2008-2010 Spyders (GS/RS and RT) manufactured through August of this year. Every owner that is eligible for the completely new, replacement DPS will get a letter and dealers will have parts autoshipped to ensure that they can take care of their Spyder buyers.

You can keep running your Spyder, I plan to, until you get in for the replacement DPS...but if you are one of the few that feels a little "notchy" steering from time to time, I would give a call to the dealer and get an appointment for the free part.

I have not experienced any symptoms with my Spyder or the RT-S we are running, but it's nice to know that BRP has developed a 2nd generation DPS that eliminates any chance of the sticky steering that some have experienced. The DPS swap is supposed to take about 2 hours...I'm due for an oil change anyway so I'll call my dealer and make an appointment once I get my letter.

Here's a link with some official information on the recall --> Click here

Thanks Marc........the info has not changed from the pdf I downloaded last week. :thumbs:

#5 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

Thanks Marc........the info has not changed from the pdf I downloaded last week. :thumbs:

Yeah, the internet has all sorts of information if you know where to look. Dealers should all be in the loop now so they won't give that dazed and confused look when you call them about this.

#6 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:51 PM

Yeah, the internet has all sorts of information if you know where to look. Dealers should all be in the loop now so they won't give that dazed and confused look when you call them about this.

Yep....called my dealer this morning and he had no info, accused me of trying to ruin his week. :lol:

#7 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

Yep....called my dealer this morning and he had no info, accused me of trying to ruin his week. :lol:

Hopefully this will be viewed as a good thing. It's a proactive stance by BRP and like I said I will just schedule around some planned maintenance anyway.

#8 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:47 PM

Statement from BRP

#9 2faston3

2faston3

Ambassador

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Ryding, canoeing, camping and spending money....
  • Your Ride:2008 Spyder

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:47 PM

Info has been moved... To where I wonder?

2faston3, obviously not fast enough..........

#10 spyder-dude

spyder-dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Your Ride:2011 Spyder RS-S

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:50 PM

Just heard that dealers are getting partial shipments of these units already....mine will be done tomorrow because I currently have no power steering...or should I say intermitant power steering which really sucks when being agressive in a corner and loosing it..Happened to me at americade in June. Was very scary.
Spyder Upgrades:Corbin Seat with Backrest,Hindle exhaust,Evoluzoines power bus & performance filter & brake light conversion kit,BRP Riser + No Magic Neon 3" Risers,CHAD windshield,Kuryakyn footpegs,highway peg brackets,Spyder web radiator side cover,trim kit, 12v outlet,Corbin Saddlebags, Trunk Liner,BRP Backrest/Rack,Scalia Q2 headset,Scorpion Alarm..

NY Spyder Ryders Group: http://www.nyspyderryders.com
Spyder Chicks Photos: http://gallery.me.co...yderdude#100016

#11 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

Just heard that dealers are getting partial shipments of these units already....mine will be done tomorrow because I currently have no power steering...or should I say intermitant power steering which really sucks when being agressive in a corner and loosing it..Happened to me at americade in June. Was very scary.

Intermittent is not good...never know what you are going to get. Glad you are getting it fixed.

#12 fifty7

fifty7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

Statement from BRP

Just received my recall notice today. Wish there was more than 1 dealer in NYC because dealing with mine is not a good experience. :wall: :(

#13 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

Will be at the shop in the morning to have the DPS replacement done on the RT-S. I'll have detailed info about the shipment scheduled, but it appears that the number of DPS units
dealer will recieve are based upon "percentage of units sold" of each model. :blink:

#14 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

Will be at the shop in the morning to have the DPS replacement done on the RT-S. I'll have detailed info about the shipment scheduled, but it appears that the number of DPS units
dealer will recieve are based upon "percentage of units sold" of each model. :blink:

I'm not sure if it's as scientific as that, but dealers that sold more Spyders will get more units early on.

#15 blankey

blankey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Your Ride:'08 Can-Am Renegade, Yellow Can-Am Spyder

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

I got my letter today about the recall. Hopefully my dealer will have the replacement when I call to schedule my inspection.

#16 spyder-dude

spyder-dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:22 PM

Got my letter this afternoon....spydie already had replaced this morning....just waiting for new wheel bearings tomorrow and gettings excited for my 3rd spyder in the smokies and my 15 state trip in 9 days!
Spyder Upgrades:Corbin Seat with Backrest,Hindle exhaust,Evoluzoines power bus & performance filter & brake light conversion kit,BRP Riser + No Magic Neon 3" Risers,CHAD windshield,Kuryakyn footpegs,highway peg brackets,Spyder web radiator side cover,trim kit, 12v outlet,Corbin Saddlebags, Trunk Liner,BRP Backrest/Rack,Scalia Q2 headset,Scorpion Alarm..

#17 fifty7

fifty7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

Got my letter this afternoon....spydie already had replaced this morning....just waiting for new wheel bearings tomorrow and gettings excited for my 3rd spyder in the smokies and my 15 state trip in 9 days!

Can you tell me how long the replacement takes?

#18 allvll

allvll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 spyder #1311

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:13 AM

Well that sucks Dennis, since where we bought ours is not longer selling or working on them!When we get the notice we'll call Marina and make the appt. Since ours (fingers crossed) is still running great :D
Vicky

#19 spyder-dude

spyder-dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:49 PM

Can you tell me how long the replacement takes?

The rate that is estimated by BRP is 1.7 hours...but typically their time is a lower estimate than the actual time it takes.

#20 restlesstex

restlesstex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Your Ride:09 syder-red

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

My spyder has been in shop for more than 2 weeks and dealer told me yesterday he had just done the dps update but have been waiting for gasket for muffler? He says its on back order? Kinda getting me upset!

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users