#1 spyderrider

spyderrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Your Ride:full moon (silver and black) Spyder

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

About 3 weeks ago I got on the bike turned the key the bike was in neutral. I waited for the read out on the screen to do its stuff and the I press the M button by the clutch and hit the start button and all I heard was a click and the dash lit up as if I had just turned the key on for the first. Everything did its readout again, I pushed the M button and hit the start button and click again. I tried this 4 or 5 times and then I decided to try to start it in 1st and it did. A week went by no problems and then I let the bike sit for a couple of days, came out tried to start and only got the click. Tried it in 1st and away it went. A few days later I was taking the bike in to replace the brake pads with some EBC pads (that work great, no squealing) so I mentioned it to the mechanics and they took a look and couldn't find anything wrong. I went home and again I couldn't ride for a few days. Went out today and the $@%&##@ thing did it again. Just a click in neutral but started right up in 1st. Any ideas? It can't be the battery because if it were it wouldn't start in any gear. It seems that if it sits for a few days is when it happens. Has this happened to anyone else, Suggestions???

#2 fr forecast spyder

fr forecast spyder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Your Ride:RTS

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

Hello,
I'm from france where the spyder is not so common. I have no spyder but I'm looking for one RT in the future.
I'm doing a lot of mechanics on cars and motorcycle and i've allready seen that problem on cars.The starter is an electric motor with brushes and copper collector. After some use the brushes makes powder which can short circuit two connexions of the collector. If after running, the starter stops on that position, then you try to start again, the collector is in short circuit, nothing happens, you only hear the click of the starter relay, and the lights going down because of the short cicuit.
Now , why does it work on 1st??
When you put in 1st and try to start a slight motion occurs, can move the starter from its bad short circuit position and it starts.
Unfortunately I believe your problem commes from the starter. Dissassemblig it, look at the brushes and collector, clean reassembling and i hope it will be ok.

This is only one idea to fix your problem. I'm not 100% sure, but let me know if it works.

Hope you will have good fun again with your spyder.
Bye

#3 BillG

BillG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Riding, sailing and did I mention riding. (33,000 miles on 2010 RT-S in 9 months.)
  • Your Ride:2011 Spyder RT Limited now with over 62,000 miles!

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

About 3 weeks ago I got on the bike turned the key the bike was in neutral. I waited for the read out on the screen to do its stuff and the I press the M button by the clutch and hit the start button and all I heard was a click and the dash lit up as if I had just turned the key on for the first. Everything did its readout again, I pushed the M button and hit the start button and click again. I tried this 4 or 5 times and then I decided to try to start it in 1st and it did. A week went by no problems and then I let the bike sit for a couple of days, came out tried to start and only got the click. Tried it in 1st and away it went. A few days later I was taking the bike in to replace the brake pads with some EBC pads (that work great, no squealing) so I mentioned it to the mechanics and they took a look and couldn't find anything wrong. I went home and again I couldn't ride for a few days. Went out today and the $@%&##@ thing did it again. Just a click in neutral but started right up in 1st. Any ideas? It can't be the battery because if it were it wouldn't start in any gear. It seems that if it sits for a few days is when it happens. Has this happened to anyone else, Suggestions???

#4 spyderrider

spyderrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Hello,
I'm from france where the spyder is not so common. I have no spyder but I'm looking for one RT in the future.
I'm doing a lot of mechanics on cars and motorcycle and i've allready seen that problem on cars.The starter is an electric motor with brushes and copper collector. After some use the brushes makes powder which can short circuit two connexions of the collector. If after running, the starter stops on that position, then you try to start again, the collector is in short circuit, nothing happens, you only hear the click of the starter relay, and the lights going down because of the short cicuit.
Now , why does it work on 1st??
When you put in 1st and try to start a slight motion occurs, can move the starter from its bad short circuit position and it starts.
Unfortunately I believe your problem commes from the starter. Dissassemblig it, look at the brushes and collector, clean reassembling and i hope it will be ok.

This is only one idea to fix your problem. I'm not 100% sure, but let me know if it works.

Hope you will have good fun again with your spyder.
Bye

Thanks, it's under warranty so I'll have the mechanic take a look at it this week. I'm ready to try anything. Thanks again. Merci.

#5 spyder-dude

spyder-dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Your Ride:2011 Spyder RS-S

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

I am having the exact same problem. Very intermitantly. If it continues guess will have to take into dealer for warranty repair. Mine seems to do it in any gear....take the key out and retry a few times and then fires up. The only thing I notice is that when the display doesn't light up the fender tips always light up all the time. Very strange.
Spyder Upgrades:Corbin Seat with Backrest,Hindle exhaust,Evoluzoines power bus & performance filter & brake light conversion kit,BRP Riser + No Magic Neon 3" Risers,CHAD windshield,Kuryakyn footpegs,highway peg brackets,Spyder web radiator side cover,trim kit, 12v outlet,Corbin Saddlebags, Trunk Liner,BRP Backrest/Rack,Scalia Q2 headset,Scorpion Alarm..

NY Spyder Ryders Group: http://www.nyspyderryders.com
Spyder Chicks Photos: http://gallery.me.co...yderdude#100016

#6 spyderrider

spyderrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

I am having the exact same problem. Very intermitantly. If it continues guess will have to take into dealer for warranty repair. Mine seems to do it in any gear....take the key out and retry a few times and then fires up. The only thing I notice is that when the display doesn't light up the fender tips always light up all the time. Very strange.

I had mine in the shop for a new head gasket and exhaust gasket (warranty) and I told the mechanic I thought perhaps it's the solenoid on the starter. To me it sounds like sometimes it kicks in and sometimes it doesn't. I remember have to jump the solenoid on some old cars to get it to work. They called BRP to see if this is a common problem but never got a straight answer but they did say go ahead and replace the solenoid to see if that cures it. They seemed to ok the new solenoid very quickly which leads me to believe this isn't the first time they heard of this problem. This all under warranty. It will be about a week before they get the part and then it will be a few weeks or so before I know if it seems to have cured it. Don't hesitate to get them to replace the solenoid. If BRP will do it for me they should do it for you.

#7 spyderrider

spyderrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

I had mine in the shop for a new head gasket and exhaust gasket (warranty) and I told the mechanic I thought perhaps it's the solenoid on the starter. To me it sounds like sometimes it kicks in and sometimes it doesn't. I remember have to jump the solenoid on some old cars to get it to work. They called BRP to see if this is a common problem but never got a straight answer but they did say go ahead and replace the solenoid to see if that cures it. They seemed to ok the new solenoid very quickly which leads me to believe this isn't the first time they heard of this problem. This all under warranty. It will be about a week before they get the part and then it will be a few weeks or so before I know if it seems to have cured it. Don't hesitate to get them to replace the solenoid. If BRP will do it for me they should do it for you.

Well yesterday I found out it wasn't the solenoid causing the bike not to start because it failed to start twice yesterday with the new solenoid. I'm beginning to think it probably is one of the relays that people have had problems with. I wonder which relay would affect the starter? It must be stuck open and not allowing power to the starter. If anyone knows which relay would do this please let me know. Thanks.

#8 spyderrider

spyderrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

Well yesterday I found out it wasn't the solenoid causing the bike not to start because it failed to start twice yesterday with the new solenoid. I'm beginning to think it probably is one of the relays that people have had problems with. I wonder which relay would affect the starter? It must be stuck open and not allowing power to the starter. If anyone knows which relay would do this please let me know. Thanks.

Well I called the dealer and as luck has it I talked to their best mechanic. His thought is it is a bad ground somewhere. I told him that I heard a click when I turned the key and the instrument readout would reset each time. So he figures it is a loose ground somewhere. Now to find it.

#9 spyder-dude

spyder-dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:14 PM

Well I called the dealer and as luck has it I talked to their best mechanic. His thought is it is a bad ground somewhere. I told him that I heard a click when I turned the key and the instrument readout would reset each time. So he figures it is a loose ground somewhere. Now to find it.

I figured out my intermitant problem today....switched the relay#2 with #3....so far I turned the key 20 times over the past 3 hours with sucess everytime. Need to get a new relay for it which will be warranty when I get the oil changed next week....
Spyder Upgrades:Corbin Seat with Backrest,Hindle exhaust,Evoluzoines power bus & performance filter & brake light conversion kit,BRP Riser + No Magic Neon 3" Risers,CHAD windshield,Kuryakyn footpegs,highway peg brackets,Spyder web radiator side cover,trim kit, 12v outlet,Corbin Saddlebags, Trunk Liner,BRP Backrest/Rack,Scalia Q2 headset,Scorpion Alarm..

#10 spyderrider

spyderrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

I figured out my intermitant problem today....switched the relay#2 with #3....so far I turned the key 20 times over the past 3 hours with sucess everytime. Need to get a new relay for it which will be warranty when I get the oil changed next week....

A silly question, which is #2 and which is #3? On the right side of the box there are 3 relays, one is by itself and 2 are on top of each other?

O
main relay O O O

#11 spyder-dude

spyder-dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

A silly question, which is #2 and which is #3? On the right side of the box there are 3 relays, one is by itself and 2 are on top of each other?

O
main relay O O O

Look at the top of the cover for the diagram. Swap the middle one with the top right one....

#12 spyderrider

spyderrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

Look at the top of the cover for the diagram. Swap the middle one with the top right one....

DOH!!!! I completely forgot about the cover diagram, thanks.

#13 sabunim5

sabunim5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Your Ride:91 K100 RS, Silver Spyder #1232

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

DOH!!!! I completely forgot about the cover diagram, thanks.

If you don't have a bad relay, the GPS (gear position sensor) is another candidate for the symptoms you describe. Good Luck in getting your Spyder back to normal. :thumbs:
Silver PE#1232 All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users