• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 golfman

golfman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Riding quads across the dez and riding my spyder across the country. born 1960
  • Your Ride:2008 Yellow Spyder

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:43 PM

Hey guys, my son took my bike out and said the max speed was 118mph. I just took it to the coast and found the top speed to be 117mph. More than enough for me, I was just wondering if this was about the same speed every one else was getting?

#2 trysicl

trysicl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Your Ride:08 Can Am spyder, Can Am ds650x, yamaha banshee

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:55 PM

I got 132mph out of mine and I now it had more for me but I ran out of road. That was bone stock.
TRYSICL

#3 golfman

golfman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Riding quads across the dez and riding my spyder across the country. born 1960

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:26 AM

Mine is stock as well. I held it wfo for the longest time and 117 was all it had.

#4 Donzo

Donzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Your Ride:Outlander 800, Sabre 1100 and 08 fullmoon SM5 Spyder Roadster

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

I've had mine up to 130 and there was more - but the fear of a killer ticket got me off the gas. The Spyder is stable at high speed, I have gone that fast on 2 wheels and could hardly read the speedometer.

#5 Chrisj

Chrisj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 Can-Am Renegade 800X

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:09 PM

In the brochure BRP says they have a top speed of 190kph. (118mph) You guys at 130mph have whacked speedos. Both mine bounce around 186-190kph
2009 Can-Am Spyder Phantom #105
2009 Can-Am Spyder Phantom #132

#6 trysicl

trysicl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

In the brochure BRP says they have a top speed of 190kph. (118mph) You guys at 130mph have whacked speedos. Both mine bounce around 186-190kph

BRP brochures are whacked, my brother was right next to me on his busa so I know how fast I went, I also weigh 135 and do have the just taller then stock windshield and if you tuck your head, the mph just goes up and up. If you are a big guy, that could be the differance. As for the brochures, lots of the numbers are off, fuel tank capacity, mpg, gvw, so why should the mph be correct. Just a side note, the clock on my spyder runs fast, but my speedo does no.
TRYSICL

#7 golfman

golfman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:45 PM

OK so my 117mph is correct. I was, of course, hiding behind the stock windshield. BTW I am 6'2" and weigh 205lbs. My son only weighs 190lbs. That is probably why he gets 118mph and I only get 117mph.

#8 Chrisj

Chrisj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

OK so my 117mph is correct. I was, of course, hiding behind the stock windshield. BTW I am 6'2" and weigh 205lbs. My son only weighs 190lbs. That is probably why he gets 118mph and I only get 117mph.

I believe you're bang on. I'm only 150lb. 50lbs isn't going to get 15-20mph more. 130 plus is only happening downhill or whacked speedos.

#9 LoneSpyderRyder

LoneSpyderRyder

leoejr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, Grandkids, Grandkids and loving the Spyder life
  • Your Ride:2008 Yellow PE#2683

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

235 lbs. 117 mph and still had throttle left. it was fast enough for me.
"When you change the way you look at things,
the things you look at change"
Dr. Wayne Dyer

'No Country for Gurmpy Old Men'

#10 trysicl

trysicl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

I believe you're bang on. I'm only 150lb. 50lbs isn't going to get 15-20mph more. 130 plus is only happening downhill or whacked speedos.

Maybe my spyddy gives me a little more speed to make up for all the other issues it has had, lol. 132 on flat land and speedo is not whacked. Chris, how do you ride, short shift? you gotta wind it up hard in the lower gears to haul the mail in 5th and have plenty of road to stay on the throttle to squeeze out this kinda speed.
TRYSICL

#11 Bill Gargan

Bill Gargan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:11 PM

What RPM are you turning at 132 MPH?

Maybe my spyddy gives me a little more speed to make up for all the other issues it has had, lol. 132 on flat land and speedo is not whacked. Chris, how do you ride, short shift? you gotta wind it up hard in the lower gears to haul the mail in 5th and have plenty of road to stay on the throttle to squeeze out this kinda speed.

#12 Chrisj

Chrisj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:17 PM

It don't matter if you short shift or not. Top speed is top speed. When you have no rpm left you can't go any faster. I would say my rpm at 118mph is right at 9900-10000rpm. Maxed right out. I have a road that's 20 miles straight and flat and is 100ft below sea level. If yours is doing that speed you have a factory freak imo.

#13 L&E Gray

L&E Gray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Any thing Fun really, We Like, bikes, Cars, and Computers.
  • Your Ride:Spyder

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

BRP brochures are whacked, my brother was right next to me on his busa so I know how fast I went, I also weigh 135 and do have the just taller then stock windshield and if you tuck your head, the mph just goes up and up. If you are a big guy, that could be the differance. As for the brochures, lots of the numbers are off, fuel tank capacity, mpg, gvw, so why should the mph be correct. Just a side note, the clock on my spyder runs fast, but my speedo does no.

I have had mine over 210kph = 130 mph and I still had not peaked and had throttle to go, I heard at some point they were supposed to be electronically limited to 155mph.
Posted Image

#14 SpyderOwner

SpyderOwner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

I had mine up to 118 mph and held it there at full throttle long enough to know it wasn't going any higher.

I weigh about 190.

Edited by dprange, 21 May 2010 - 03:27 PM.

#15 trysicl

trysicl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

Like some of the other factors that vary from spyder to spyder, top speed seems too also. I like that my spyder may be a freak in the spyder nation and consider myself lucky to have one of the faster ones. I never hit red line or any limiters and I do think 50 extra pounds and extra hight makes a differce, how much, who knows. The drag from our bodies is huge. One day I was going about 80mph and took both hand off to zip my jacket up a little higher and the drag almost flipped me off, I was not prepared for that kind of force. Also the PIRATE (lou) keeps my spyddy dialed in for peak performace, maybe you have mechanical issues you are unaware off like valves slightly out of adjustment, or maybe your spyder is just slower then others. We know, no two spyders are the same even if they came off the assembly line together so just because you can only get 118mph out of yours does not mean someone else cant get 130mph + out of thiers. :TgC_emoticon142:
TRYSICL

#16 doctor

doctor

doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Your Ride:#1058

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

Like some of the other factors that vary from spyder to spyder, top speed seems too also. I like that my spyder may be a freak in the spyder nation and consider myself lucky to have one of the faster ones. I never hit red line or any limiters and I do think 50 extra pounds and extra hight makes a differce, how much, who knows. The drag from our bodies is huge. One day I was going about 80mph and took both hand off to zip my jacket up a little higher and the drag almost flipped me off, I was not prepared for that kind of force. Also the PIRATE (lou) keeps my spyddy dialed in for peak performace, maybe you have mechanical issues you are unaware off like valves slightly out of adjustment, or maybe your spyder is just slower then others. We know, no two spyders are the same even if they came off the assembly line together so just because you can only get 118mph out of yours does not mean someone else cant get 130mph + out of thiers. :TgC_emoticon142:

If your using the speedo as your only source of info it could be wrong. Use a gps and it'll be correct. Maybe you had your speedo in the klio. mode, therfore you won't hit redline going 130 kph.

#17 golfman

golfman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

That makes more sense, these 130mph bikes are actually much much slower than the average bike and they are mistakenly referring to their mileage in kph instead of mph....

#18 trysicl

trysicl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

If your using the speedo as your only source of info it could be wrong. Use a gps and it'll be correct. Maybe you had your speedo in the klio. mode, therfore you won't hit redline going 130 kph.

Why is it so hard to believe that a spyder can do 130mph?
TRYSICL

#19 golfman

golfman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:12 PM

Why is it so hard to believe that a spyder can do 130mph?

Cuz they only go 118?

#20 Chrisj

Chrisj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

No two Spyder are the same, but we have three that run 118ish.lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)