5 replies to this topic

#1 SKS06460

SKS06460

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder RT-S

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

I posted this at another forum also. I'm trying to get help from as many sources as possible. Based on some of the previous posters, this forum is probably the best source for technical help.

I'm picking up my RTS this weekend. It has the full radio package, but not the CB/Intercom package.
I'm stripping my AutoCom off my current bike. It has the ability of coordinating cellphone, CB, MP3 and GPS inputs.
I'd like to use this system on the RT. I don't know if it's possible.
In an ideal world, I'd like to install some type of switch that would change the output of the RTS radio from the speakers into a 3.5 mm jack. I can then plug this jack into the MP3 input of my AutoCom and run the music into my helmet speakers. As I said, the AutoCom will then manage the other inputs for cell GPS and CB. The swich would allow me to choose the radio output to either the included fairing speakers, or the helmet speakers used by the intercom system.
Has anyone done this ? Am I explaining this clearly so it's understandable ?
If no one knows how to do this, does anyone know someone at BRP that I can contact to figure out how to do this ?
I can't be the only one with an AutoCom..............
Thanks in advance for your help.
Danbury CT
My gastank is full and my bladder is empty.
Time to Motor On.....................................
IBA #47122

#2 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts
  • Interests:Spyder Rydes and tours.
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder RT-S SE5 & RT 622 Orbital Blue

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:28 PM

Yes it would be possible, the radio unit is located below the passenger volume control switch. The RT shop manual would be of help in
removing panels and gaining access to the areas you need, also the manual has a complete wiring schematic.

Since these Spyders are so new, no one has had a chance to add the AutoCom system, in time there may be a "kit" offered by one of the aftermarket companies.

As for any assistance from BRP, since the AutCom is not a BRP accessory, they will not get involved with the installation of it, and "most" dealers will not get involved either. :)

#3 Nancy'sToy

Nancy'sToy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Vintage motorcycles, motorcycle touring, hot rods.
  • Your Ride:2011 Viper Red Spyder RT-S (mine), Wife's 2008 Spyder GS PE #2466, BMW R1100RTP, 1972 BMW R75/5, 1965 Triumph T120R, and 21 other vintage bikes.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:52 AM

Yes it would be possible, the radio unit is located below the passenger volume control switch. The RT shop manual would be of help in
removing panels and gaining access to the areas you need, also the manual has a complete wiring schematic.

Since these Spyders are so new, no one has had a chance to add the AutoCom system, in time there may be a "kit" offered by one of the aftermarket companies.

As for any assistance from BRP, since the AutoCom is not a BRP accessory, they will not get involved with the installation of it, and "most" dealers will not get involved either. Posted Image

The manual has a wiring diagram, but the functions of the various wires leading to or from the radio module are not given. You would have to figure out the functions on your own, and even then, your changes might not be compatible...or could cause damage. One of those young electronics geniuses might be able to get you through it.
-Scotty

#4 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:17 AM

The manual has a wiring diagram, but the functions of the various wires leading to or from the radio module are not given. You would have to figure out the functions on your own, and even then, your changes might not be compatible...or could cause damage. One of those young electronics geniuses might be able to get you through it.

Scotty -

Well the shop manual would not have all of the answers, it would give the owner an insight to how complex the RT computer/wiring system is, unless an owner has a background
in these areas, I would guess they would not just start hacking into the system.

All I stated was it would be possible, would I recommend doing it ...... no. :)

#5 Nancy'sToy

Nancy'sToy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Vintage motorcycles, motorcycle touring, hot rods.
  • Your Ride:2011 Viper Red Spyder RT-S (mine), Wife's 2008 Spyder GS PE #2466, BMW R1100RTP, 1972 BMW R75/5, 1965 Triumph T120R, and 21 other vintage bikes.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:08 PM

Scotty -

Well the shop manual would not have all of the answers, it would give the owner an insight to how complex the RT computer/wiring system is, unless an owner has a background
in these areas, I would guess they would not just start hacking into the system.

All I stated was it would be possible, would I recommend doing it ...... no. Posted Image

I agree wholeheartedly! Chasing audible electrons is way over my head. I just wanted to point out that the wiring diagrams don't refer to the actual functions of the wires, just their size and color. No module schematics, either, or connector pinout diagrams...although connector position is indicated by letters on the diagram. Don't want anyone to be disappointed that the diagram wouldn't show what they desired.

BTW, as long as we are talking wiring diagrams, be aware that there are a couple of errors on the RT-622 diagram, specifically in the backup light wiring.
-Scotty

#6 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:16 PM

I agree wholeheartedly! Chasing audible electrons is way over my head. I just wanted to point out that the wiring diagrams don't refer to the actual functions of the wires, just their size and color. No module schematics, either, or connector pinout diagrams...although connector position is indicated by letters on the diagram. Don't want anyone to be disappointed that the diagram wouldn't show what they desired.

BTW, as long as we are talking wiring diagrams, be aware that there are a couple of errors on the RT-622 diagram, specifically in the backup light wiring.

Mistakes in the BRP manual ? :lol:

Ya one has to be careful reading the shop manuals, on the first GS manual (before a revision was made) the pic actually showed installing the oil filter backwards. :TgC_emoticon142:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users