• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luis

Luis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Theology, philosophy, science, marriage counseling, Daniel and Revelation; Trumpet, guitar, flugelhorn, EWI; biblical anthropology.
  • Your Ride:Yellow 2008 Spyder GS

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:47 AM

Removing the spark plugs is difficult yet achievable. After my experience, though, I will not do it again because of the difficulty putting them back in.

PROBLEMS:
(1). The air filter box is tricky to remove. I used a #4 Allen wrench to remove the screws on top of it. Bad move. Two of them got stripped. Use T30 star bit. Service department has to extract them now. VERY tight spot to extract them from, so it's costing me because I don't have the tools. :wall:

(2). The spark plug cables themselves are a little tough to remove: the rubber that covers them are a pain to pull out, but that's not really a big deal. The real problem was putting the cables back on without doing something to them. After installation, the Spyder began to surge. Mechanic/tech told me that the plugs were arcing because of the cover over the plugs being damaged (my words). Fortunately, we've still got a good motor. :riding:

In my view, I was just pushing them in to make sure we had coupling. Evidently I pushed too much. :wall:

If you're mechanically inclined, you're probably wondering how I could flub that up. Well, I'm not mechanically inclined.

I have been able to successfully change the oil and replace rear brake pads and adjust the parking brake. The front brakes will be a matter of time, assuming there isn't a lot to remove. Other than that, I don't think I'm messing with anything else.
---Luis
Atheists do not exist. Maybe agnostics exist.

#2 gazey

gazey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder 979

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:23 AM

Removing the spark plugs is difficult yet achievable. After my experience, though, I will not do it again because of the difficulty putting them back in.

PROBLEMS:
(1). The air filter box is tricky to remove. I used a #4 Allen wrench to remove the screws on top of it. Bad move. Two of them got stripped. Use T30 star bit. Service department has to extract them now. VERY tight spot to extract them from, so it's costing me because I don't have the tools. :wall:

(2). The spark plug cables themselves are a little tough to remove: the rubber that covers them are a pain to pull out, but that's not really a big deal. The real problem was putting the cables back on without doing something to them. After installation, the Spyder began to surge. Mechanic/tech told me that the plugs were arcing because of the cover over the plugs being damaged (my words). Fortunately, we've still got a good motor. :riding:

In my view, I was just pushing them in to make sure we had coupling. Evidently I pushed too much. :wall:

If you're mechanically inclined, you're probably wondering how I could flub that up. Well, I'm not mechanically inclined.

I have been able to successfully change the oil and replace rear brake pads and adjust the parking brake. The front brakes will be a matter of time, assuming there isn't a lot to remove. Other than that, I don't think I'm messing with anything else.

Pretty sure theres a star bit type driver in the standard tool kit in the trunk :blink:

Edited by gazey, 04 August 2009 - 08:24 AM.

Andrew Gaze
Full Moon PE#979

#3 VBsypder

VBsypder

Arceerider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, cars, Beer, wine, guns, Art, music, Architecture, camping, racing, 4-wheelin.
  • Your Ride:08 Spyder, 03 Victory Vegas, 08 Victory Vision, 05 Magnum R/T, 00 Silverado

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:45 AM

Put the wrench down, and kick it over here. NO sudden movements, just do what I said, or I'll put cap in your.... :lol:
=========
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
---- Frank Lloyd Wright
=========

#4 SpyderGirl

SpyderGirl

Founder / Vice President - San Francisco Bay Area Chapter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, photography, hanging with friends, and motorcycling.
  • Your Ride:2008 Quantum Blue Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S (Viper Red)

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

Pretty sure theres a star bit type driver in the standard tool kit in the trunk :blink:

That's right. I got my airbox off no problem I changed the spark plugs with no issues. Of course I am mechanically inclined, but it does help to use the right tools!!

2008 Quantum Blue Can-Am Spyder SM5 PE #1344 - Owner Since 2/8/08
Mods: HMF, blue 6 spoke wheels, HIDs, Tricringz / Tricfenderz, Corbin heated seats, Corbin saddlebags, Corbin hitch, Corbin fairing & Cee Baileys windshield, GIVI E55 Trunk, Piggybacker trailer, 1" BRP riser, 4" ESI risers, mudflap lights (signals), & LED 3rd brake light.

Spyders in the Redwoods (Sonora, CA) August 5 - 8, 2013 - I'll be there... will YOU??

#5 Luis

Luis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Theology, philosophy, science, marriage counseling, Daniel and Revelation; Trumpet, guitar, flugelhorn, EWI; biblical anthropology.

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:00 PM

That's right. I got my airbox off no problem I changed the spark plugs with no issues. Of course I am mechanically inclined, but it does help to use the right tools!!

Yes, indeed! The basic tools that come with the Spyder include a star tip, but it's too long to get in there. I wound up buying a little ratchet socket with a short extension. It was the right tool then, but too late. If we live to tell about mistakes, we learn. :wall: B)
---Luis

#6 Luis

Luis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

Put the wrench down, and kick it over here. NO sudden movements, just do what I said, or I'll put cap in your.... :lol:

:huh: :lol: :P
---Luis

#7 LoneSpyderRyder

LoneSpyderRyder

leoejr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, Grandkids, Grandkids and loving the Spyder life
  • Your Ride:2008 Yellow PE#2683

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:11 AM

:huh: :lol: :P

I really like your honesty Luis...you are the man...
"When you change the way you look at things,
the things you look at change"
Dr. Wayne Dyer

'No Country for Gurmpy Old Men'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users