Spyder fire - Spyder RS and GS General Discussion - can-am Spyder Forums - SpyderTalk.com

Photo

Spyder fire

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Seattle

Seattle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Your Ride:'08 Red SM5 GS Spyder

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

In the past 2 months there has been three people who experienced fires that destroyed their Spyders noted on Spyderlovers.com. The causes have yet to be announced perhaps yet to be determined. One has officially reported the incident with NHTSA.

Two of the Spyders were PE models, the third hadn't mentioned if it was an early production or not. Someone mentioned about a fourth Spyder fire in Illinois.

I didn't post the two thread links, because I do know if it would be against SpyderTalk's forum rules. However, I will copy paste a part of the discussions with some photos here. If anyone is interested to find the threads one is titled "PE 1026 is no more" and the other is "Spyder on FIRE".

I'm only asking this question here because if there are more Spyders that have had fires, they really need to be reported to NHTSA in addition to BRP so someone will look to the cause if it's a potential safety problem that we all need to have resolved.

First Spyder Fire incident reported by Georgia owner
Premier Edition 1026 is no more by Spyder1026
Posted Image
05-04-2009, 09:03 PM
The Spyder died at about 4:15 pm today. No one else was hurt. The house and truck had some heat damage, but it could have been much worse.

There was no warning of any impending problems. Everything seem to be perfectly normal. The fire started on the right side, just as I pulled into the garage. Three minuets later and I would have been in the house totally unaware of a fire in the garage. I turned off the ignition and pushed the Spyder out of the garage.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Second Spyder Fire incident reported by Texas owner:
07-05-2009, 11:12 AM by gdmkgm
During a ride on the 4th , we had just pulled into the DQ in Overton Tx. to get a drink when my granddaugher on the back with me said that there was smoke coming from her grandmothers Spyder, at first I thought she had went through some water and it was steam, buit the it turned black and I saw flames in the side holes,got a extingisher from the DQ and put it out, but it still burned under the panels for several minates, don't know the extent on the damage yet waiting for the insurance co., but just looking through the panels it looks pretty bad.
Has anyone heard of this happening before? I just thankful that we were pulling in to a parking lot and not on the hiway

Third Spyder Fire incident reported by Arizona owner
07-08-2009, 09:48 AM by DarrellHiggins
Another up in smoke - Premier Edition #3224
Posted Image
Mine burnt to the ground on June 22. I had ridden it from my home to my girlfriends home, about 12 miles. As soon as I dismounted I smelled burning, looked down at the seat saddle area and saw smoke that rapidly doubled - redoubled - quadrupled. The volume was so great that I had to get away from it (think explosion). As I was moving away it gave a 'crump' sound and I looked back to see it in flame.
It burnt VERY quickly. Way before the fire department arrived.
I feel very lucky to have NOT been on the thing and to have NOT parked it in my girlfriends garage, as I normally did.
Phoenix is hot - but come on! I wonder what BRP may be thinking ...

Fourth mentioned by another Spyder ryder
FYI the spyder that caught fire in Rockford Il had zero mods done to it. I don't recall if it was 08 or 09 but it was silver. The rider was driving through rock cut state park at a slow speed when it caught fire. I only saw the after pics and it was a total loss. Fire started in the engine compartment.

Edited by Seattle, 09 July 2009 - 07:37 PM.

#2 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • 7557 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyders

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:24 PM

Those are some sad looking pictures.

Riding a Spyder puts a smile on my face

#3 Saluda

Saluda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, kayaking, motorcycles and pedal biking.
  • Your Ride:2013 STS

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

Hope this issue gets worked through quickly. Very sad pictures, glad no one was hurt. Thanks for the info.

Edited by Saluda, 09 July 2009 - 03:34 PM.

Never stop questioning. (Happy Spyder owner)

#4 Luis

Luis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Theology, philosophy, science, marriage counseling, Daniel and Revelation; Trumpet, guitar, flugelhorn, EWI; biblical anthropology.
  • Your Ride:Yellow 2008 Spyder GS

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:12 PM

Man, that is painful to look at!!! :blink: :o

Any info from BRP would really, really be appreciated.
---Luis
Atheists do not exist. Maybe agnostics exist.

#5 Ken5517

Ken5517

Ken5517 / Wish Again

• SPYDER NATION
  • 1434 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 GS Spyder & 2010 RTS Spyder

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

any idea's on the cause?
"Spyder Ryder of America" is on Face Book now - join a chapter today

Contact Ken to start your local SRA Chapter today, expanding across America.

#6 B1TTEN #509

B1TTEN #509

Inadvance Member

• SPYDER NATION
  • 1744 posts
  • Your Ride:The Best Ride Ever

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

any idea's on the cause?

Dang if I can find, but someone posted about taking the right side panel off and checking a fuel line clamp. Take the right side off and turn the key one, pumps fuel and see if there is a leak. If a hose clam is loose and the bike is hot gas expanding from warm temps could cause fuel to flow out of a hose clamp that would normally not when running or does not have the vapor expansion from hot days? Couple other people have posted about gas smells. :TgC_emoticon142:
Does not look like simple electrical issue either?

#7 Seattle

Seattle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Your Ride:'08 Red SM5 GS Spyder

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

There has been a fifth fire just reported today in another Spyder forum. The author of the thread reported that "Ken5517 / wish again" was witness to this event.

Author is Spanky
Premeir Edition #59
Silverado, CA

Spanky wrote:

Another overheated Spyder
"I took my truck into the local mountains with my wife (BlackWidow) and our dog.

We saw a few Spyders pulled off to the side looking like they were resting. Well it seems Ken5517/Wish Again was broke down waiting for a trailer, he had an electrical problem.

We also found out that another Spyder in the group caught on fire and was stranded down the road. We left Ken and others (who names I already forgot) with some water and continued down the road to see if we could lend a hand.

We found them a 1/2 mile further. Sure enough there was a red spyder that caught on fire. My wife know his name. It seemed to have caught left side in front of the gas tank. The fire started while he was making a uturn. Fortunately there was a convenient spot for him to pull out and to try and dowse the flames. I took pictures but I have them at home and I will post them later.

We left him with a Sprite and went. A couple of hours we returned by the area and they were are gone. So I hope that at least everyone got home safe.

This is the first I heard of them catching fire while riding. I wonder if altitude had was a factor. It happend at about the 7000 ft level.

Stay Safe.

The flames came up on the left side. Maybe it was from the wind while turning. That's when the flame was noticed. The right side had suffered fire damage as well."

Edited by Seattle, 28 July 2009 - 12:21 PM.

#8 Ken5517

Ken5517

Ken5517 / Wish Again

• SPYDER NATION
  • 1434 posts
  • Your Ride:2008 GS Spyder & 2010 RTS Spyder

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:16 AM

I will comment on this tomorrow if I have any new accurate info, however the Owner was - depending what forum you are on

Power by AJ
PWJ
Badspyder

He rode with me 581 miles on sat with no issues and followed me up for this ride on Sunday as well, he is a regular Ryder on the West Coast Spyder events.

The bike was an SE5 and had been in the shop 3 times for what he said was a gas leak; dealer could not find the issue.

The bike did have around 15K on it

He was on it when the flames came through the tank area - the fire came up the left side but appeared to start under the tank some place but not necessarily on the left side.

Please do not read into it more than the accurate info that I have given, at this time the cause is unknown. It is sitting at the dealer and is being looked at.

The ryder was not hurt and the damage was far less than the other pics that I have seen but I would guess a total.

IF and when the cause is determined I will post only accurate info.

Additionally it is the owner of the bike that would give the best the most accurate info on what happened - If he wishes to.

It clearly is not my place to speculate.
"Spyder Ryder of America" is on Face Book now - join a chapter today

Contact Ken to start your local SRA Chapter today, expanding across America.

#9 TharkunRT

TharkunRT

SpyderRyders

• SPYDER NATION
  • 3463 posts
  • Interests:Spyder Rydes and tours.
  • Your Ride:2010 Spyder RT-S SE5 & RT 622 Orbital Blue

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:56 AM

The links above do not appear to be valid, here on the pics. :thumbs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tharkun#409, 28 July 2009 - 09:10 AM.

#10 BLACK WIDOW

BLACK WIDOW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles or anything with wheels and a motor,<br />Country/Western dancing, and good food and drink.---What else is there except a good woman and I have it all.
  • Your Ride:2009 Yellow Spyder SM5 roadster

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:00 PM

Man, that is painful to look at!!! :blink: :o

Any info from BRP would really, really be appreciated.

My Dealer told me these things were "HOT;" But I didn't know he meant they would burst into flames. B)

#11 widowmaker2011

widowmaker2011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Your Ride:2010 RTS Orbital Blue 2010 RTS Timeless Black

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

My question for someone that has any knowledge is: Did at any time prior to this occurring did they ever have a heavy gas smell while riding?? I have had it several time and had the vapor canister replaced. I still smells once in a while. Just wondering if there is some other defect that BRP needs to check into.

#12 g-strad

g-strad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

This is not a good thing to see. I have had the raw gas smell occasionally. Never found a leak. Seemed to happen when tank was filled. Maybe filling a little too full??? I don't top it off, just fill till nozzle shuts off. I am really concerned with this fire issue as I always park in the garage when I get home. Now for the terrifying thing, my 2003 Anniversary Edition Corvette is in the garage also. I don't know what I would do if the Spyder had a melt down and took the Vette with it. I know I would go ballistic at someone, probably BRP, as there are documented occurrences of fires. I will be parking outside for a while and then move it into the garage after cooling down. Don't know if temp has anything to do with the fires but it's a start. Will not be riding it into garage again.

#13 B1TTEN #509

B1TTEN #509

Inadvance Member

• SPYDER NATION
  • 1744 posts
  • Your Ride:The Best Ride Ever

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:47 AM

I took 2 belly pane panels off for a couple days, someone said it would run 2 bars cooler NOT! plus brake lines exposed, anyway, I have not had the gas smell since?
IMO, I really think and know in a couple cases, owners did electrical work. Not saying that is the cause and I would probably not admit it if it where me either. THey are not new Spyders and have many miles. If it where gas fumes, what is the ignition source as most where shut off. My experience with gas fumes is a flash and not fire if no gas or combustibles to keep it burning. I even saw a post from a fireman saying the same thing. Just in my town alone, there have been 2 car fires this week from electrical fires. Owners installed their own electrical stuff. :TgC_emoticon142:

PS Still taking my 4500 miles trip in 2 weeks, bringing a fire extinguisher :flame:

• Validating
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:14 AM

I took 2 belly pane panels off for a couple days, someone said it would run 2 bars cooler NOT! plus brake lines exposed, anyway, I have not had the gas smell since?
IMO, I really think and know in a couple cases, owners did electrical work. Not saying that is the cause and I would probably not admit it if it where me either. THey are not new Spyders and have many miles. If it where gas fumes, what is the ignition source as most where shut off. My experience with gas fumes is a flash and not fire if no gas or combustibles to keep it burning. I even saw a post from a fireman saying the same thing. Just in my town alone, there have been 2 car fires this week from electrical fires. Owners installed their own electrical stuff. :TgC_emoticon142:

PS Still taking my 4500 miles trip in 2 weeks, bringing a fire extinguisher :flame:

Does anyone know what type of clamps are on the gas lines? I'm sure it's the crimp style not the screw type. If they are I'm sure they could be loose just like the right side water hose clamp was on mine. I'm taking my covers off and checking them now. All I have is liability. I may call my ins. company Mon. morning. IT'S GOING TO SET OUTSIDE A LOT. Moto on.

#15 tweeder

tweeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Your Ride:spyder

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:28 PM

I seen on another forum about a member noticing some of his fuel lines with rub indentations in them so he tied them all back out of the rub zones.
2008 SM5, F1 EvoIII slide, Hindle, Race Air Flow System, O2 Delete, Fuel Pressure Modfier, Powerbus System, BRP 6 Spoke, 12V power supply x2, 3" Handel Bar Riser, CompuStar Alarm System w/pager, Mono Seat Cover, Brake Caliper Trim, Trunk Liner, Outdoor Cover, Carbon Fiber SM5 Handelbar Inserts, Carbon Fiber Tank Knee Pads, TBR Juice Box,

• Validating
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

I seen on another forum about a member noticing some of his fuel lines with rub indentations in them so he tied them all back out of the rub zones.

I took my right side cover off and my gas line wasn't seated on the filter. Just to make sure it wasn't going to come off I tried gently to push it on further and all of a sudden it was spraying gas everywhere and it was still hot. I poured water on it to wash it off. It looked like to me the crimp clamp was far too soft and didn't hold good. I'm changing them out with a good qulity hose clamp. Once I get it off I will let you know the strength of it. Moto on.

#17 Darrell

Darrell

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Your Ride:Can Am Spyder #3224

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:40 AM

This is not a good thing to see. I have had the raw gas smell occasionally. Never found a leak. Seemed to happen when tank was filled. Maybe filling a little too full??? I don't top it off, just fill till nozzle shuts off. I am really concerned with this fire issue as I always park in the garage when I get home. Now for the terrifying thing, my 2003 Anniversary Edition Corvette is in the garage also. I don't know what I would do if the Spyder had a melt down and took the Vette with it. I know I would go ballistic at someone, probably BRP, as there are documented occurrences of fires. I will be parking outside for a while and then move it into the garage after cooling down. Don't know if temp has anything to do with the fires but it's a start. Will not be riding it into garage again.

I would NOT park a spyder in a garage, especially with a prized auto. My incident (a total loss) was fortunate in that I did not burn my girlfriends house to the ground since I did not park in her garage on that day. I loved (really really loved) my spyder but will not buy another because I can't trust them now. Untill BRP steps forward with a solution to this problem I will not consider buying another. And what are the chances of that? I see the evolution of the spyder and am drawn to it but- I can't trust a design that goes up in flames. :(

#18 Spyder in Georgia

Spyder in Georgia

Former Georgia Spyder Owner

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Internet, Computers, Camping, Trips, Motorcycle riding, and teaching.
  • Your Ride:Honda NT700V Silver with ABS.

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:20 AM

I would NOT park a spyder in a garage, especially with a prized auto. My incident (a total loss) was fortunate in that I did not burn my girlfriends house to the ground since I did not park in her garage on that day. I loved (really really loved) my spyder but will not buy another because I can't trust them now. Untill BRP steps forward with a solution to this problem I will not consider buying another. And what are the chances of that? I see the evolution of the spyder and am drawn to it but- I can't trust a design that goes up in flames. :(

Krispy Kritters!

#19 Marc

Marc

• Moderators
  • 7557 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyders

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

Hi Darrell,

The fires sure are bad news, but they seem to be pretty isolated incidents from my understanding at least. I know I have had a friend that lost a Jeep to a fire and my cousin lost a Ford SUV in a similar incident.

Riding a Spyder puts a smile on my face

#20 spyderr

spyderr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder. Honda Rune, Honda VTX

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

Krispy Kritters!

\

You got that right there is a problem and its being swept under the rug. Too bad one does not start on fire at a dealer and take out a parking lot full, I'm sure it would get someones attention.

Do a search on Google for BRP and fires.
The had a recall because 5 snowmobiles were on fire. (We are way past 5 Can Am's)
They also had a recall on 4 wheelers same problem.

Make sure you contact:

https://www.cpsc.gov...n/incident.aspx

And report your incident.

Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users