• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rongon

rongon

Lone Wolf/Wolf Spyder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Retired so my interests now are Touring/Riding, fishing, traveling, woodworking. I like being by myself a "Lone Wolf"
  • Your Ride:2009 Spyder SE5 Silver/Black "Wolf Spyder", 2007 HD Dyna Wide Glide(Gave to my Son), 2004 Dodge Cummins 3500 4x4 Quad Cab, Bladez XTR SE Electric Scooter.

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:32 PM

Just have a question and don't want to start any arguments or controversy. Just some guidance needed.

But I would like to tow a very small trailer with my Spyder and on page 68 of owners manual it says no towing. I asked my dealer and they told me, again that's my local dealer, that if there was a trailer hitch on my Spyder and I took it in for warranty work the warranty would be null and void.

He referred me to page 134 of the owners manual and showed me paragraph #8 under Exclusions - Are Not Warranted, "Damage resulting from abuse, abnormal use, neglect, or operation of the product in a manner inconsistant with the recommendations of the Operators Guide" With that said he said you voided your warranty.

Is this just in the owners manual for legal purposes, is my dealer full of it. Can we tow trailers with the Spyder?? Or would I be taking a chance in voiding my warranty? Or is this something that's up to the individual owner to make that call.

Thanks Ron

Edited by rongon, 17 June 2009 - 03:44 PM.

2009 SE5 Silver/Black Spyder "Wolf Spyder". BRP 1" Handle Bar Riser, Back Rest/Sport Rack, Comfort Seat, Hindle Exhaust, R-35 Rigid Saddle Bags & Silver Panels, Side Panel Guards, Street Magic Highway Brackets, Küryakyn Longhorn Clevis (#8016) & Pilot Mini Pegs (#4430), Trunk Spring, Vista Throttle Lock, 25" Ultra Touring Windshield & Side Deflectors & Custom made decals "Wolf Spyder" one on windshield & on rear fender. "Live & love like today is your last day on earth because who knows what tomorrow will bring"

#2 flyjake

flyjake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Your Ride:Spyder #3533 Silver

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:46 PM

Just have a question and don't want to start any arguments or controversy. Just some guidance needed.

But I would like to tow a very small trailer with my Spyder and on page 68 of owners manual it says no towing. I asked my dealer and they told me, again that's my local dealer, that if there was a trailer hitch on my Spyder and I took it in for warranty work the warranty would be null and void.

He referred me to page 134 of the owners manual and showed me paragraph #8 under Exclusions - Are Not Warranted, "Damage resulting from abuse, abnormal use, neglect, or operation of the product in a manner inconsistant with the recommendations of the Operators Guide" With that said he said you voided your warranty.

Is this just in the owners manual for legal purposes, is my dealer full of it. Can we tow trailers with the Spyder?? Or would I be taking a chance in voiding my warranty? Or is this something that's up to the individual owner to make that call.

Thanks Ron

See answer under "trailer lights" where your post also appears.

#3 Ken5517

Ken5517

Ken5517 / Wish Again

• SPYDER NATION
  • 1,434 posts
  • Your Ride:Harley Road Glide / 2008 Spyder Roadster

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:26 PM

I have the GIVI side bags.

Has anyone heard of a towing package that will work with the GIVI side Bags yet? :TgC_emoticon142:
"Spyder Ryder of America" is on Face Book now - join a chapter today

Contact Ken to start your local SRA Chapter today, expanding across America.

#4 2faston3

2faston3

Ambassador

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Ryding, canoeing, camping and spending money....
  • Your Ride:2008 Spyder

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

Ken:

I believe that the Bushtec will work with the BRP set-up. Not with Industries 7 mount.... I have both. My wife BRP and I have the Industries 7.

I had the Bushtec hitch and it would not work with the Industries 7 setup, I sold the hitch. But since installing the BRP setup. I believe that the Bushtec will work with the BRP setup.

2faston3

I have the GIVI side bags.

Has anyone heard of a towing package that will work with the GIVI side Bags yet? :TgC_emoticon142:

#5 Ken5517

Ken5517

Ken5517 / Wish Again

• SPYDER NATION
  • 1,434 posts
  • Your Ride:Harley Road Glide / 2008 Spyder Roadster

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:49 PM

Ken:

I believe that the Bushtec will work with the BRP set-up. Not with Industries 7 mount.... I have both. My wife BRP and I have the Industries 7.

I had the Bushtec hitch and it would not work with the Industries 7 setup, I sold the hitch. But since installing the BRP setup. I believe that the Bushtec will work with the BRP setup.

2faston3

sorry but enlighten me, why only with the BRP setup?

I would love to get a trailer once the hitch and wiring package is completed by someone.

I perfer the Bushtec trailer - but want a complete set up from a one stop supplier
"Spyder Ryder of America" is on Face Book now - join a chapter today

Contact Ken to start your local SRA Chapter today, expanding across America.

#6 tweeder

tweeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Your Ride:spyder

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:55 PM

Just take the hitch off when going in for warranty work.
2008 SM5, F1 EvoIII slide, Hindle, Race Air Flow System, O2 Delete, Fuel Pressure Modfier, Powerbus System, BRP 6 Spoke, 12V power supply x2, 3" Handel Bar Riser, CompuStar Alarm System w/pager, Mono Seat Cover, Brake Caliper Trim, Trunk Liner, Outdoor Cover, Carbon Fiber SM5 Handelbar Inserts, Carbon Fiber Tank Knee Pads, TBR Juice Box,

#7 sabunim5

sabunim5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Your Ride:91 K100 RS, Silver Spyder #1232

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

Many of us are, and have been, towing trailers of all sizes for almost as long as the Spyder has been available. That being said, I would never have gotten my trailer if my dealer had said what yours is saying. My dealer specifically told me that unless it was some item or failure that could be directly attributed to the trailer, they would honor my warranty. I worried about the same thing and waited until the owner of my dealership responded, not just a salesman or a service manager. If they won't honor your warranty, they are shooting themselves in the foot. Why would they refuse to do work they know they will get paid for from BRP? Smart business people never shut the door on a possible revenue stream. I don't know what your situation is. I hope there is another dealer within a reasonable distance that might have a more enlightened attitude towards a Spyder with a trailer hitch. I considered removing the hitch before service as suggested, but decided that if I wanted my dealer to be honest with me, I had a responsibility to act in the same way towards them.
Silver PE#1232 All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT

#8 rongon

rongon

Lone Wolf/Wolf Spyder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Retired so my interests now are Touring/Riding, fishing, traveling, woodworking. I like being by myself a "Lone Wolf"
  • Your Ride:2009 Spyder SE5 Silver/Black "Wolf Spyder", 2007 HD Dyna Wide Glide(Gave to my Son), 2004 Dodge Cummins 3500 4x4 Quad Cab, Bladez XTR SE Electric Scooter.

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm going in to talk with the General Manager next week the Service Manager thinks he owns the shop and has a real bad attitude towards the Spyder for some reason.

Again Thanks Ron

Many of us are, and have been, towing trailers of all sizes for almost as long as the Spyder has been available. That being said, I would never have gotten my trailer if my dealer had said what yours is saying. My dealer specifically told me that unless it was some item or failure that could be directly attributed to the trailer, they would honor my warranty. I worried about the same thing and waited until the owner of my dealership responded, not just a salesman or a service manager. If they won't honor your warranty, they are shooting themselves in the foot. Why would they refuse to do work they know they will get paid for from BRP? Smart business people never shut the door on a possible revenue stream. I don't know what your situation is. I hope there is another dealer within a reasonable distance that might have a more enlightened attitude towards a Spyder with a trailer hitch. I considered removing the hitch before service as suggested, but decided that if I wanted my dealer to be honest with me, I had a responsibility to act in the same way towards them.

Edited by rongon, 18 June 2009 - 06:56 PM.

2009 SE5 Silver/Black Spyder "Wolf Spyder". BRP 1" Handle Bar Riser, Back Rest/Sport Rack, Comfort Seat, Hindle Exhaust, R-35 Rigid Saddle Bags & Silver Panels, Side Panel Guards, Street Magic Highway Brackets, Küryakyn Longhorn Clevis (#8016) & Pilot Mini Pegs (#4430), Trunk Spring, Vista Throttle Lock, 25" Ultra Touring Windshield & Side Deflectors & Custom made decals "Wolf Spyder" one on windshield & on rear fender. "Live & love like today is your last day on earth because who knows what tomorrow will bring"

#9 dltang

dltang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Your Ride:Silver Spyder #2518

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:47 AM

Thanks Ron

Don't quote me but I thought I had read that by law they have to honor the warranty unless they can prove the issue is caused by the modification. This would be true with any mods. For example, you have trouble with your fan and your spyder is overheating. They can not deny warranty work because you have a trailer hitch or handlebar risers. By the way, my dealership has done warranty work on my spyder a couple of times now and I have many mods on my spyder including a trailer hitch.
With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.

It was Silver and it's mine IPB ImageNow it is Candy Apple RedIPB Imageand it's still mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users